Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 03:19 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,931,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
Anyway, there is no justification for racial discrimination such as affirmative action. race should not play any part in decisions on who to accept in a school or a job. this whole victim, parasite mentality has done major damage to their culture as well. if they cant succeed now, its because these types of programs have created a culture where they believe they shouldnt have to work harder to succeed.
History will tell the tale as far as measuring the effectiveness of any of this. I can not know what can further weaken a race of people or where the damage is being done exactly. I don't have a crystal ball. Nobody does.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:17 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
I just have one question for you? Who are these "others" who have more rights and privileges than you do?
We are not allowed to say. We do not have complete freedom of speech in the USA. Political correctness ya know. You will have to use your imagination.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:27 PM

Unfortunately most of the posters here don't seem to understand who is really in charge.

When will the WM get fed up?
Maybe when they land at the very bottom.
You may be fed up now but you don't even know where that bottom is and you are clearly looking for a scapegoat.

You are right about us not having freedom of speech in this country. But no race of people has that. Concessions are made and so called compensation is dispensed in the form of programs and subsidies but they exist partly to shut people up and pacify them as well.

There is a price to be paid even when you are on the receiving end of these "gifts".

Old 04-16-2009, 06:45 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
[quote=Sunil's Dad;8374335]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post

I'm still trying to figure out how white men are being discriminated against, and just who are these folks who are discriminating against them? Is it a South African apartheid system where a few minorities wield absolute power in a brutal manner?

Well in this instance white males are being denied the opportunity to compete for a scholarship based solely on their race. If that doesn't fit the bill of discrimination based on race I'm not sure what does.

If South African type apartheid is the yardstick by which discrimination is determined no discrimination exists in the US and we can do away with quotas on college admissions, public works projects etc. Yeah discrimination doesn't exist!

Old 04-16-2009, 06:54 PM

We already know there are foundations for Irish American and Italian American students. They offer scholarships on that criteria. It is private money in that case as well.

Is the argument that a particular school does not administer those programs? Well there is nothing stopping them from giving to a school directly.
The donor in this case could have set up a foundation independently but most posters here would still have a problem with that based on the points they have made here.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:01 PM

[quote=shorebaby;8380077]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Well in this instance white males are being denied the opportunity to compete for a scholarship based solely on their race. If that doesn't fit the bill of discrimination based on race I'm not sure what does.
One million of this is supposedly "Open" not designated and there is no law that says that had to be done.

Many scholarships are designated for a specific sort of person. It doesn't even have to be racial, ethnic, or gender based.
Again this is not taxpayer money.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:01 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
We already know there are foundations for Irish American and Italian American students. They offer scholarships on that criteria. It is private money in that case as well.

Is the argument that a particular school does not administer those programs? Well there is nothing stopping them from giving to a school directly.
The donor in this case could have set up a foundation independently but most posters here would still have a problem with that based on the points they have made here.

I am not so sure I agree, I think if a scholarship for African American students or Asian students, or Puerto Rican students etc. was specifically set up I don't think nearly as many people would be offended. The way this is worded it says the money should go to anyone other than a white male, that is kind of offensive.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:07 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,027,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I am not so sure I agree, I think if a scholarship for African American students or Asian students, or Puerto Rican students etc. was specifically set up I don't think nearly as many people would be offended. The way this is worded it says the money should go to anyone other than a white male, that is kind of offensive.
It doesn't say that at all. The OP INFERRED that in order to stir the pot. There is no color test to get the scholarship. It merely says minorities and women. It doesn't even say which minorities.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:12 PM

Very true and that OP likes to stir. They started a thread recently about a sexuality center at the same school and tried to present it as shocking when like every University in America has one of those.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:13 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,027,773 times
Out of interest, I dug around Montclair States scholarship files. They have a foundation which administers an enormous amount of privately funded and directed scholarships all of which have destinctions. Some are specifically for Men, some for Women, some for African Americans, some for graduates of certain high schools, some for Italians, some defined by the age of the student and a lot according to talent or area of study.

All of them discriminate against anybody who doesn't fit the distinction. So I am discriminated against because I am not a 35 year old part time student who previously was employed by a plumber and donated my kidney to my second cousin. :-) big deal.

As someone pointed out above, just because it isn't fair and leaves someone out does not make it racist and nor does it make those left out "victims".

A selection of some of the privately funded scholarships offered:

For students from the North Ward Center Hispanic Community who plan to attend MSU.

Scholarship for a student who lost a parent in the events of Sept. 11, 2001.

Female full-time freshman, reside in Essex County, 3.00+ HS GPA, Service/leadership, financial need.

Full-time undergraduate student majoring in Math and in good academic standing.

Incoming Freshman who graduated from Brick or Brick Memorial high schools with high SAT scores.

Incoming full-time freshman who wish to major in Chemistry recommended by HS teacher/principal, student will enroll in general chemistry course their freshman year.
Financial support for full-time outstanding talented freshmen students studying string instruments.

Either entering freshman or currently enrolled full-time undergraduate students, must be graduates from Immaculate Conception, Lacordaire, Montclair High or Montclair Kimberly high schools.

Gifted incoming freshman with middle income who are not eligible for financial aid.

Study in a field of modern language outside the United States

Outstanding female undergraduate dance student chosen on basis of talent, contribution, and potential.

Incoming freshman first year students enrolled as full-time music majors studying piano who shows promise as a performer, music therapist or composer.

Full-time undergraduate English majors with a min. cumulative GPA of 3.0
Gifted voice students enrolled in MSU's Music Department

Full-time freshman who is the child or grandchild of an active MSU Alumni Association Member

Interest in Italian culture or language, to further education here or abroad;

To provide emergency loans to fully matriculated students majoring in Psychology

Recipients must be full-time undergraduate male students enrolled in the School of Business.

Presented to a male student majoring in physical education.Male student, in good academic standing, who demonstrates leadership, team spirit, and a desire to make a positive contribution to society.

A male student in good academic standing with a cumulative average of at least 2.5

Part-time student, 50 years or older, enrolled in a degree program.

Cento Amici Scholarship. Full-time undergraduate Italian American students majoring in a program offered by the College of the Arts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey