Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2009, 09:26 AM

348 posts, read 469,894 times

Advertisements

Here is the list of all the co-sponsors:
Remember these co-sponsers were in favor right before Congress went to summer session. Also Jim McDermott is the original Sponsor.

Thanks

Old 09-02-2009, 11:32 AM

39 posts, read 110,895 times
Hey Everyone!Will keep everyone in prayer! Keep calling, e-mailing and blogging, so when these guys get back from vacationing, they can hit the ground running! Please!!

Old 09-02-2009, 11:33 AM

any new news friends?? wil stell out of money and ihave nothng left with me from my EB and soon iwill sleep in street me and my wife

Old 09-02-2009, 05:00 PM

i hear some news they said if the bill pass than will be in October or in december!! and iam not sure if that truh or no
this what i hear from some one!!

Old 09-02-2009, 05:37 PM

46 posts, read 70,218 times
There is no point in anybody inquiring any further until, at least, the 8th of this month. Congress is at recess until then so there won't be any more news until that day. Anything you hear before that is of course speculation since congress is at recess until the 8th of this month. The only proposals the ones that we heard so far but no others can come up anyway since they are at recess. All we can do is sit back and wait. There cant be any more news until then. It only makes sense.

Since there is nothing at all we can do right now, keep on top of the job searches instead of putting time/energy online here between now and the 8th since the next 6 days are useless reading right? It seems to me that people are spending the whole day here talking about something that cannot move foward until the 8th so why not spend the time searching for work? I check this site twice per day and the rest of the time im making contacts with HR departments at companies instead of worry about more extensions. Even if this goes thru, it will end eventually and im gettin mentally prepared for that.

Chances are that this will go thru. those who ahave exhautsed EB will get 13 more weeks but that doesnt mean to sit back and take a deep breath. Im treating my last few weeks of EB as the end of unemployment. It keeps me much more motivaed in my job searching instead of counting on more extensions.

Im actually gonna consider taking anything decent right now paying much lower than I used to make for 2 reasons

1: to get out of the house and get used to a work schedule again

2: it is a fact that , despite the know hard times out there, employers will not hire somebody that has been unemployed for a year when they can hire somebody who got laid off a few weeks ago. They like fresh candidates, not people who have been sitting around...event though is it not our fault of course. They will always hire what is best for their company first and can care less about our hard times looking for a job for a year.

The longer it takes a person to find a job, the harder the chances become of actually being hired. Like I mentioned, employers will consider a freshly laid off person before choosing somebody who has been out for a year. it stinks but is reality.

Keep looking for jobs and wait until the 8th to see what happens but never count on it becuase youll never keep your motivation up this way. make believe it is ending for good because that day will actually happen for all of our claims.

Im only writing this because, from the proof of a lot of posts here, it seems like all people are spending time on is researching about more extensions. Folks, make believe they dont exist. get used to it becuase it is eventually all gonna end.

I am hoping for this next entension like all of you but am being realistic that it cant go on forever so iv been spending every waking moment doing things that can help me get a job ( calling companies all day, showing up in person with my resume, calling friends and old coworkers asking for contact names, etc ).

Last edited by katedowney1; 09-02-2009 at 05:55 PM..

Old 09-02-2009, 06:05 PM

Please Help Extend Unemployment Benefits for ALL Americans

Please Help Extend Unemployment Benefits for ALL Americans! | unemployment benefits expert consulting

Old 09-02-2009, 06:05 PM

108 posts, read 243,061 times
just and fyi, my daughter and i are both unemployed....hers is exhausted..mine almost...so we have been selling things on ebay....we dont make a fortune but its enough for food and the bare essentials..i'm sure if you look you can find things to sell also while looking for a job...and trust me ..people will buy almost anything........good luck....

Old 09-02-2009, 06:09 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,977,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katedowney1 View Post
It seems to me that people are spending the whole day here talking about something that cannot move foward until the 8th so why not spend the time searching for work? I check this site twice per day and the rest of the time im making contacts with HR departments at companies instead of worry about more extensions. Even if this goes thru, it will end eventually and im gettin mentally prepared for that.
If that works for you, fine. And it's great to share your approach with others. But is it necessary to be so judgmental about others who cope with this in a different way?

Your assumption that "from the proof of a lot of posts here, it seems like all people are spending time on is researching about more extensions" is both unsubstantiated and unfair.

I see lots of different activity here in these posts -- rallying support for contacting legislators, sharing information and experiences, even venting. There is no reason why any of these activities precludes job hunting -- and to assume that the posters here are not looking for work is completely inappropriate.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:53 PM

46 posts, read 70,218 times
Diorgirl, I appreciate your efforts here. I truly do and a lot of it has helped me a lot but dont get me started. You know there is absolutely nothing that can be done until the 8th. They are on their vacation and contacting legislators, etc is great but again, it will do nothing until the 8th. we know it is gonna end up being approved so all this extra effort is probably not needed as of right now. the point has been made clear to the goverment and they will act after the 8th for sure. so I just figured that this time can be used more wisely looking hard for jobs. I am clearly not targeting everybody but it does seem like a few comments over the past few weeks indicated that future extensions are the only concern on peoples minds. not everybody but some. I dont see any topics discussing job search techniques or even networking to share job contacts. How about somebody posting something like:

"I was just on an interview with a company today but lacked a skill needed. If you have guys happen to have the skill, here is the phone number," or, " this company is hiring for anybody in the insurance industry" etc...

That would be much more useful at this point. I would be all for that. Maybe I can start one myself. I need the extension just like all of you but I am curious how hard is everybody is looking for a job. Im asking, not speculating. Sorry if I presented it incorrectly. I enjoy the info on here but I think people are over doing it about the extension. we will get it... now what? wait until you have 2 weeks left again and panick again or... intensify your effert even more on the actual job search? It makes sense.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:17 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,977,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katedowney1 View Post
I am clearly not targeting everybody but it does seem like a few comments over the past few weeks indicated that future extensions are the only concern on peoples minds.
But the subject of this thread is "future extensions" -- so isn't it obvious that most people who post here would post on that subject?

There are actually lots of threads on the subjects you mention in the General Forum section:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-employment/

You're right that there are none like that here in the New Jersey forum. You might find more people already discussing your issues at the other forum -- or perhaps you might browse there and start a similar thread here in the New Jersey forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey