Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2009, 09:13 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,977,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchick1169 View Post
if you carefully read the proposals HR 3404 can be interpreted as a a 13 week extension of the EB benefits if a state has an unemployment rate over 9%. S 1647 can be interpreted as a 13 week extension of EUC (tier 3) if a state has an unemployment rate of 8.5%.
This demonstrates spencir's point very well -- the use of the proper terms in legislation is not just an exercise in semantics. For example, there is no "tier 3" as mentioned above, and there is no reference in HR 3404 or in S.1647 to "EB" benefits -- just "EUC" in both proposals.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:20 AM

Default The Menendez Message - 08/28/09 - Appalling!

BTW, I just received a copy of "The Menendez Message" -- Senator Robert Menendez's e-newsletter.

The e-newsletter covers 18 topics, including "Bob's Bills" -- which provides commentary on additional 10 subjects.

The newsletter never mentions the climbing rate of unemployment in New Jersey, and there is no mention of the Senator's position on extending unemployment benefits or extending COBRA or even extending the reduced premium for COBRA.

Is the Senator even aware of S.1647 or HR 3404? Has the rising unemployment rate in NJ become a non-issue in his office -- unworthy of comment?

This is appalling!

Old 08-28-2009, 10:31 AM

89 posts, read 186,642 times
Hi Everyone,
I'm exhausting my 4th extension,
Here is an article I found:

Congress may extend unemployment benefits - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_usa_congress_unemployment - broken link)

Old 08-28-2009, 10:50 AM

Do anyone have the number I can call to congress to ask about the extensions?

Old 08-28-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheweetina View Post
Do anyone have the number I can call to congress to ask about the extensions?
You should call, email, or snail mail your Senators and local Representative to urge them to support these bills when they come up for a vote. The Congress does not return from recess until September 8, but the staffs of these legislators do monitor communication from constituents during the break.

If you are looking for additional information about the extensions at this stage, you can check the web sites of the legislators sponsoring them and of the groups lobbying for their passage.

There is no central information number for questions about the extensions.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:19 AM

Default Thanks

THANKS, my last check of EB is next week.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:27 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
boom shaka laka!!! the wife's account just got juiced up again with what appears to be another 8 weeks.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:46 PM

16 posts, read 38,381 times
Recieved a letter from Dept of labor. Govenor Corzine has urged President Obama and the congress to provide addional weeks of extended benefits for individuals who remain unemployed after running out of all unemployment benefits. At least we know that if congress passes the bill NJ will extend benefits in the future.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:13 PM

Default Response

Hello,

I used to live in Essex and had to deal with the Newark office, no they don't return calls. I would HIGHLY recommend that you e-mail the Governor's office again, remember a lot of the officials are on recess. Someone will respond to your e-mail, Corzin is good at that.

HERE'S A NUMBER FOR YOU, PLEASE CALL AND GET THE DISTRICT TELEPHONE NUMBER IN YOUR AREA.

Christopher Smith in Washington DC... 202-224-3121 he picked up the phone right away, let him know you need help with your unemployment, he will then give you the number to your District Office in your area, they will pick up right away. Or , some people change their unemployment office. If you can, go to the one in Trenton, they e-mail back, call back etc...

Hope this helps, remember, these guys making these decisions need your vote, so call them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryv View Post
Hello tincan424, unfortunatley since I am in essex county I have newark or east orange as my center choices. Neither of them return call or emails. I wrote the gov.'s office but no responce from them either. Maybe a phone call would be better? (like you'll ever get through) I'm glad your situation went smoothly, a rarety from what I have heard. I have called my councilor every day, and he will not pick up the phone, nor return my calls. If I call the center's main number, no one picks up there either. And they wonder why people are getting pissed? Oh well, another day of trying again to look forward to. Best of luck to all of you out there, let's hope tier 3 is approved soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey