Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 11:28 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,977,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterful View Post
my benefit under the government eb runs out in early september do qualify for the extension under this new bill
At this point it is unclear how any further extension -- if enacted -- will be administered. The extended benefits may be available only to people still collecting at the time the new extension is enacted -- or the new benefits may be retroactive to an earlier date.

So sorry -- no answer to your question at this time!

Old 08-27-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivekids View Post
I am currently at the end of tier II benefits. I will claim my last payment on mon. Is there any info mailed to me to let me know if I qualify for eb. as of yet I have not received anything. Also how will this affect me if I move to PA
If you are eligible for EB, the extension should follow just as your Tier I and Tier II extensions did. You should receive written notification of your eligibility shortly before or after your last payment on Tier II. You will also be receiving instructions for the different way EB benefits are claimed and the paperwork you need to file every two weeks.

If you have any concerns, call Unemployment or stop by your local Unemployment Office. The staff can check your record and confirm your approval for EB.

Sorry -- don't know about the effect a relocation to PA could have on your benefits!

Old 08-27-2009, 12:20 PM

37 posts, read 88,213 times
I have to call in on Tuesday, Sept. 1st to claim my last 2 weeks of EB. It doesn't make sense to me that if an extension is passed why they wouldn't include people who had their 20 weeks of EB run out before the bill was passed. I really hope it is retroactive. Isn't the point of the extension to help those in immediate need, not those on their original 26 weeks or tier 1? It just doesn't make sense to me and I am just worried sick for what the future has to bring.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:24 PM

34 posts, read 85,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terriinjersey View Post
My deposit also went in this morning maybe they do them in batches and they were just late going out I'm sure if didn't get it today u will tomorrow
Okay, I did receive my check today, at 2:20 pm instead of 9:00 am. Along with it a bit of info that may explain the lateness. A note form the USPS telling me there will be changes in the way I receive my mail due to the nation's businesses experiencing a downturn and a major decline in mail volume.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:12 AM

46 posts, read 70,218 times
If the extension gets passed it will most likely be an additional 13 weeks of coverage added to everybodys EB balance.( example: you have 2 weeks left, it will become 15 weeks, etc). People are making this much more complicated. Read what they are proposing...."additional weeks" Qualifying for EB wasn't as easy as tier 1+2 so, this will definitely be just as regulated.

1:If your EB already ran out and you are still unemployed, it will re-activate for 13 weeks if this new extension is passed.

2:if you did not qualify for EB in the first place then this extension will not apply to you just like EB didn't apply to you.

From what I have gathered so far, this is not a new type of proposed extension ( like a tier 3 or 4 or whatever) it is simply lengthening the term of the current EB by 13 weeks or more. It will certainly not be a totally seperate thing. As I mentioned earlier, the people who were not eligable for EB are still beat unfortunately. The point is to make it more and more regulated, from the governments point of view. They are not going to give it to anyone who stopped at tier 2. That is why they put more regulation to qualify for EB, now this time, it will be equally as hard...maybe even harder. Who knows.

Bottom line: If you got EB, you will get additional weeks. if you didn't qualify for EB, you are still out of luck and finished at the end of your tier 2.

I highly doubt that people who were finished at tier 2 and were not eligable for EB, are gonna be able to skip over EB and then qualify for the new propsed extension. Im pretty sure that is how it is gonna be but nothing is 100%, this is just a logical opinion so don't hold me to it.

Last edited by katedowney1; 08-28-2009 at 12:32 AM..

Old 08-28-2009, 08:03 AM

39 posts, read 110,895 times
MY FREINDS

If the extension gets passed it will EUC not EB !!!

Old 08-28-2009, 08:34 AM

39 posts, read 110,895 times
The confusion stems from conflating EUC with EB. The new 13 weeks is not EB. It is “additional EUC”. This is from the link JM originally posted from McDermott’s website. I read the text of the law and it is consistent with the blurb from his website that we are getting another 13 if it is passed. Read the last paragraph.

http://www.house.gov/mcdermott/pr090730.shtml

Old 08-28-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katedowney1 View Post
Im pretty sure that is how it is gonna be but nothing is 100%, this is just a logical opinion so don't hold me to it.
A reminder to everyone reading this thread -- at this stage we are all interpreting the proposed laws from our own perspectives. Nothing stated in this thread about eligibility or start dates has been finalized.

For example, the draft of HR 3404 states its purpose as:
"the temporary extension of certain unemployment benefits and the temporary availability of further additional emergency unemployment compensation, and for other purposes."

There is no specific mention of EB, no specific direction that the further extension would be simply more weeks added to EB, no statement of the eligibility criteria for the new extension, and therefore no specific statement about whether the new extension -- which is not referred to in the draft as an extension to EB, but rather as additional emergency unemployment compensation (EUC) -- would be retroactive for those who have exhausted their previous extensions.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:51 AM

Default Text of the Current Drafts of Proposals

For those who wish to do their own interpretation, the texts of the two drafts are available at:

HR 3404 - Emergency Unemployment Compensation Extension Act of 2009 (Introduced in House)
Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

S.1647Assistance for Unemployed Workers Extension Act (Introduced in Senate)
Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

Old 08-28-2009, 09:01 AM

106 posts, read 278,447 times
For everyone who is confused about the proposed extensions, if you carefully read the proposals HR 3404 can be interpreted as a a 13 week extension of the EB benefits if a state has an unemployment rate over 9%. S 1647 can be interpreted as a 13 week extension of EUC (tier 3) if a state has an unemployment rate of 8.5%. The links for both propsals are below,
Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress):

Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress):
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey