Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 08:36 AM

312 posts, read 1,017,969 times

Advertisements

Portales or Clovis... really its just what you want.. a personal pref. Today I would say live in Clovis. Only because the vast majority of military live right off of base or in Clovis 801 and surrounding area.

We ended up moving from Portales 801 housing to Clovis because Portales is very small and everyone we knew lived in Clovis. The drive from Portales to Clovis really got old super quick.

Just my 2 cents. Some ppl love Portales and would say I was crazy Or they might agree.

Its up to you hun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 07:41 PM

3 posts, read 6,379 times
Looks like we will be at Cannon in Sept of this year. Hoping to get into base housing. We are a family of 6, the standard dad & mom and 4 kids ranging from 14 to 3. Which is the best housing to get on the list for? "Commuting" is not an issue for my husband, he drives a car he loves to drive and after the 2 hours one way we both used to do in California, 15 or 20 minutes is nothing .

Old 04-14-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallmeH View Post
Looks like we will be at Cannon in Sept of this year. Hoping to get into base housing. We are a family of 6, the standard dad & mom and 4 kids ranging from 14 to 3. Which is the best housing to get on the list for? "Commuting" is not an issue for my husband, he drives a car he loves to drive and after the 2 hours one way we both used to do in California, 15 or 20 minutes is nothing .

Unless you live on base or in Chavez West (off base housing.. like right outside of the front gate).. the commute is the same. Clovis 801 and Portales 801 is about the same distance from the base.

The base is about 10/15 min from NE Clovis. Portales is further away but you have a long strip of road with a higher speed limit etc. You end up being in the car for about the same amount of time.. just seems longer from Portales-> base.

< 801 is just what its called.. its off base housing>

OH .. When we arrived here we had our pick of base housing.. But now that its beefed up here not sure what its like. I know that the 801 housing has 4 bedrooms etc. We have a duel mil couple thats in 801 Clovis housing.. Zero kids... in a 4 bedroom. They arrived 1.5 years ago. There might be a few months wait to get into housing. Not 100% sure on that.. so no quoting

If you are driving here.. coming into Clovis from TX.. no crying! Thats called the "Trail of tears". Promise you the whole town doesnt look like that.. or maybe it does and we just got used to it.

They are going to privatize <-- spelling? the 801 housing sometime in 2012. Just fyi

Old 04-15-2011, 12:46 PM

18 posts, read 36,717 times
What happens when they privatize the housing? Do we receive bah in that case? What about utilities? We have no base housing experience.

Thanks for the help, Fickle!

Old 04-16-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrecat View Post
What happens when they privatize the housing? Do we receive bah in that case? What about utilities? We have no base housing experience.

Thanks for the help, Fickle!

From what I understand its just like base housing but you sign a lease and they give you BAH and turn around and pay rent with it. I dont think you have to pay utilities etc.

Anytime cat!

Old 04-18-2011, 08:54 AM

74 posts, read 268,470 times
The government's plan is to put meters on each of the 676 new units it builds, add an average utility bill plus ten percent to the BAH. A rep. for Xcel energy said that everything at the Chavez area is already behind Cannon's meter. They may have to rethink this.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:18 AM

23 posts, read 62,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallmeH View Post
Shoot for 801 Clovis since the school system is a little better I'm glad we are leaving lol. We currently live in Chavez but if I had school aged children we wouldnmove to 801 Clovis 801 Clovis does not have fenced in yards. You can pay out of pocket but it has to be the chain linked fences

Old 04-19-2011, 11:21 AM

3 posts, read 6,379 times
our house in Hawaii doesn't have fenced yards either oh well just means the kids have to walk the dogs LOL

Old 04-19-2011, 11:31 PM

18 posts, read 49,527 times
Okay, we only have 2 assignments on our overseas return list and Cannon is one of them. My question to you all is this...how are the resources if you have children with special educational needs?? One has nonverbal learning disorder (on the autism spectrum) and needs an aide in each class, speech therepy, social training, and tutorial in math and writing. (Sylvan learning center type help) The other one is 14 and has a written output disorder and needs remedial writing help. He may fall into a dyslexia subset. He currenty has an aide for assistance in class and for pull out testing or assignment completion. Is there something along the lines of Sylvan?? Both are on IEP's and are above average IQ's. One is gifted with a learning disorder and the other is listed as right brain cognitive dysfuntion. I fear this base will not be able to address these needs so I am updating the EFMP today. (Older one has an anxiety issue as well and the other gets really overwhelmed in bigger schools)

Old 04-20-2011, 07:26 AM

13 posts, read 66,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpie70 View Post
Okay, we only have 2 assignments on our overseas return list and Cannon is one of them. My question to you all is this...how are the resources if you have children with special educational needs?? One has nonverbal learning disorder (on the autism spectrum) and needs an aide in each class, speech therepy, social training, and tutorial in math and writing. (Sylvan learning center type help) The other one is 14 and has a written output disorder and needs remedial writing help. He may fall into a dyslexia subset. He currenty has an aide for assistance in class and for pull out testing or assignment completion. Is there something along the lines of Sylvan?? Both are on IEP's and are above average IQ's. One is gifted with a learning disorder and the other is listed as right brain cognitive dysfuntion. I fear this base will not be able to address these needs so I am updating the EFMP today. (Older one has an anxiety issue as well and the other gets really overwhelmed in bigger schools)
Moonpie,
New Mexico schools are 49th in the nation. I don't know you yet feel so bad for you if coming into clovis. what you said on children there is no help here for them but,you home drilling them sorry to say.I have 4 children also,but now they are in their 20's & have a sister inlaw that has a masters in teaching here is even a joke as for teaching. I would say she is in this for the pension only. No I don't hate her I am just stating a fact for my 1 son needed help & we got her for she had a class after school hrs and all I can add she was no help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico