Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 03:43 PM

153 posts, read 539,682 times

Advertisements

I don't know Desert Sun what you mean about the style of the area. I'm very familiar with New Mexico and West Texas, and while the brick homes are certainly nice to keep the wind out, I wouldn't actually call them THE style of the area.

Here in Portales there are plenty of early 1900s bungalows, a few small English tudors, and lots of "mid-century marvels" , and a few rustic adobes and farmhouses in and around the area, the last two of which I equate to "New Mexico style". Unfortunately, old adobes and farm houses tend to be run down, so if you find a good one grab it.

Of course you can see some real crappy trailers, etc. in a few places, and some really pathetic remodels "in progress". Even in Santa Fe you can see a crappy trailer next to a million dollar home- welcome to New Mexico.

I also see around Portales a lot of nice new dairy mansions made of brick, stucco, or whatever. There's a giant European Mansion a few miles out of Portales down Highway 202 toward Lubbock. Must be the dairy owner's. Then there is the super giant California-style mansion and farm at Midway with the matching mercedes' out front - wow! Farming can't be all that bad.

I hope we do get a more regional style of new homes in Portales. The brick box is OK but does not really say much about the area. I would say the most popular style in Portales is "ranch" house from the 1960s. Have you seen the whacky homes just south of ENMU? There's one they call the banana house that has a full banana tree in an atrium on the second floor. Yes, it was the 60s...

Last edited by New West 2020; 11-05-2009 at 03:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 08:22 PM

4,552 posts, read 14,988,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New West 2020 View Post
I don't know Desert Sun what you mean about the style of the area. I'm very familiar with New Mexico and West Texas, and while the brick homes are certainly nice to keep the wind out, I wouldn't actually call them THE style of the area.

Here in Portales there are plenty of early 1900s bungalows, a few small English tudors, and lots of "mid-century marvels" , and a few rustic adobes and farmhouses in and around the area, the last two of which I equate to "New Mexico style". Unfortunately, old adobes and farm houses tend to be run down, so if you find a good one grab it.

Of course you can see some real crappy trailers, etc. in a few places, and some really pathetic remodels "in progress". Even in Santa Fe you can see a crappy trailer next to a million dollar home- welcome to New Mexico.

I also see around Portales a lot of nice new dairy mansions made of brick, stucco, or whatever. There's a giant European Mansion a few miles out of Portales down Highway 202 toward Lubbock. Must be the dairy owner's. Then there is the super giant California-style mansion and farm at Midway with the matching mercedes' out front - wow! Farming can't be all that bad.

I hope we do get a more regional style of new homes in Portales. The brick box is OK but does not really say much about the area. I would say the most popular style in Portales is "ranch" house from the 1960s. Have you seen the whacky homes just south of ENMU? There's one they call the banana house that has a full banana tree in an atrium on the second floor. Yes, it was the 60s...
I know the house you speak of on the way too Lubbock, actually on the way to Muleshoe(if its the same one), that was my favorite house when I was a kid, I loved that thing, and the house you speak of with the matching mercedes is actually owned by the band Los Hurricanes Del Norte, I use to party with their kids.

and I know what the houses are like in Portales, I grew up there, there are alot of different style homes but they are different than the rest of NM. Most of the newer built homes going back a couple decades are brick and in the rest of NM they are a stucco SW color house.

What Im saying is, I wouldnt want to see SW stucco style tract houses (ABQ style) in Portales or Clovis, they would be outta place, thats like building brick style houses in ABQ that look like they belong in Lubbock.

and thats the cool thing about NM, there is different styles in the different areas

Old 11-06-2009, 02:05 PM

7 posts, read 18,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listening.Bird View Post
My family is moving to Cannon AFB, in December 2009! Im from Washington, DC n all i hear are the horror stories. And I cant find nething online as far as homes. I see alot of post were January of this yr. How have things changed so far. I would prefer a safer, cleaner, prettier place to have my kid in. I will be attending ENMU and my hubby will be on base...What are any reccommendations about living arrangements? i think i should come there n try to find something before i move my family there to with nothing...can someone help a stressing wife out!
We used Cherrie Hayden with Coldwell Banker, she was fantastic (and patient) at listening to my concerns of being home alone during deployments, night flights, and adjusting to a new city and community, etc. She really helped us out in so many ways going above and beyond just finding our home. I can send you pics of my neighborhood and the three FSBOs with their info if you want. Just e-mail me and I will be happy to share more info.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:14 PM

Hurricanes del Norte? Sounds like a Tejano band. Is that who owns that giant mansion? Wow!

Old 11-12-2009, 07:03 PM

4,552 posts, read 14,988,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New West 2020 View Post
Hurricanes del Norte? Sounds like a Tejano band. Is that who owns that giant mansion? Wow!

yep,they have had matching mercedes for as long as I can remember,that was the first thing that would stand out to me on my way to Clovis.
They own the building next to it and host dances there on Sundays.

1. "HURACANES DEL NORTE - Sitio Oficial

Old 11-13-2009, 09:44 AM

204 posts, read 387,869 times
I was in the AF for 8 years. The first .8 years were spent in basic training / tech school. The last 7.2 years were spent in Clovis

I actually really enjoyed the area. We spent our time throwing darts and drinking at Amicis (is that still there?), playing nickel - dime - quarter poker, and participating in intermural sports. Softball was a good time.

We lived just off base (Carolina loop) and my kids went to Ranchvale. It was a pretty good situation for us. In our time there my wife and I both finished college (ENMU). I've been working as a contractor in Albuquerque for the last ~10 years, but took a job on northern Virginia (just moved in this Tuesday). I would say were are relatively successful, our kids are well adjusted, and we owe a lot of that to Clovis and Cannon. Good luck.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:52 AM

1 posts, read 3,333 times
i'm PCSing to Cannon AFB in a couple months, i can't find ANYTHING as far as places to live except the videos on youtube of the houses that cost 150K or more... can anyone send me a site i can take a look at so i can check out appartments or something? Also, does anyone have any idea if there are any good christian schools in the area looking for teachers? thanks.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:26 PM

312 posts, read 1,015,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Anton View Post
i'm PCSing to Cannon AFB in a couple months, i can't find ANYTHING as far as places to live except the videos on youtube of the houses that cost 150K or more... can anyone send me a site i can take a look at so i can check out appartments or something? Also, does anyone have any idea if there are any good christian schools in the area looking for teachers? thanks.
Good luck with finding a place to live. Hopefully there will be space in Mil. housing. I know there are some places (privately owned) in Portales, if you dont mind living that far out.

Christian Schools...
This school is expensive and I havent heard anything negitive about it.
Clovis Christian School

And there is a small one in Portales.. its very conservative. Faith Triumphant Church

Hope this helps!

Old 11-30-2009, 10:21 AM

Portales NM real estate rentals property management listings and homes for sale, home buying, home selling information – Kiva Realty - Homepage

and the same site (KIva) has links to all of the realtors and home listings in Portales, including those from realtors who still do not use the MLS.

Fox Trails in Portales is "full" but supposedly there will be more apartments built after the first of the year. There is always "The Berkeley" on 18th St. for $400 a month, pretty shabby but next to ENMU and safe. Most of what is next to ENMU is somewhat shabby and you will put up with student noise. Probably Ok for young singles and that is about it.

Cannon Meadows in Portales is 15 minutes from the base and supposedly still has a few dozen units left if you want to wait it out in 801 housing and see what you can find as the goo ddeals pop up- and they do.

Faith Triumphant is a good school if you want a conservative classroom setting. Dora Schools are also good that way (they pick up kids 7 miles south of Portales).

Old 12-26-2009, 05:14 PM

74 posts, read 198,950 times
Sorry but if you move to Clovis from Florida and you have gifted or advanced kids, be ready to home school them. The schools here are pretty far behind and I could go on but I will refrain from any more negativity. Happy New Year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico