Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2009, 03:32 PM

153 posts, read 541,417 times

Advertisements

3/2 Rentals: Try Prudential in Portales and Clovis. They seem to have a decent selection. Fox Trails in Portales may have some open. Lots of mom and pop landlords use the newspapers: Portales News-Tribune : Homepage and Homepage :Clovis News Journal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 11:32 PM

141 posts, read 380,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New West 2020 View Post
3/2 Rentals: Try Prudential in Portales and Clovis. They seem to have a decent selection. Fox Trails in Portales may have some open. Lots of mom and pop landlords use the newspapers: Portales News-Tribune : Homepage and Homepage :Clovis News Journal.
This is very true!! I went cruising around most of the new subdivisions in Clovis the other day and seen house foundation just getting laid out and ready to build with '' sold'' signs already..I would definitley agree there is a huge housing crunch in the Clovis and even Portales area..But do not like the sky rocketed prices!!

Old 06-15-2009, 10:58 PM

312 posts, read 1,017,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nategdh View Post
This is very true!! I went cruising around most of the new subdivisions in Clovis the other day and seen house foundation just getting laid out and ready to build with '' sold'' signs already..I would definitley agree there is a huge housing crunch in the Clovis and even Portales area..But do not like the sky rocketed prices!!
Oh yes! The prices are fricken up there, and the lil tiny new houses and just that... super tiny. I would never NEVER NEVER ever pay 180-200k for a house so small, when I could buy a home with almost double the sq ft age thats 20 years old.. we are hoping to get out of here ASAP (husband is @ the 15 year mark) so that we can buy/build the home we want.

We do not ever want to be tied down to NM......

I do not mean any disrespect to NM, its just that he is from WV and I am from NC... We want home to be on the east coast.... AND not 95 average during the summer with flies that remind us of poor kids in a 3rd world, and the summer "breeze" to feel like a hair dryer blowing in our faces hahaha

HOWEVER the ppl we have met here have been fricken AWESOME

Last edited by Fickle; 06-15-2009 at 11:24 PM..

Old 07-08-2009, 10:57 PM

The best deals are around 100-125K in Portales but pickings are slim and you will have to drive around - until they finally build some "affordable" houses. The local builders in Clovis and Portales thought we could all afford $240 K- no way. Now they are building smaller, but still pretty cheap (110 a foot) in Portales and probably not much more in Clovis - and NOT deflating in price. Looking for a nicer subdivision layout though. Oakwood is probably our favorite.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:15 PM

5 posts, read 16,571 times
Been awhile since I posted, but I'm here now... currently staying at Lodging. Closing on a house up in Colonial Park area... pool and everything. Just over $100 a square foot. $220K. Mortgage payments are going to kill, but I should be able to turn it in 4 years or so for a modest profit.

I guess the next step after moving in would be to go to Kelley's and find trouble, right? Yeah.

In all seriousness, I thought this town would be a lot worse than it is. I PCS'd from DM and lived downtown near the campus where the housing is very similar to that you'd find on the south side of 21st and immediately west of Prince. Not totally awful, but still run-down. Yeah, so there's no Best Buy, but I'll hopefully get over it. We'll see how crazy I get in about 6 months or so.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:20 PM

74 posts, read 199,782 times
Yeah, so there's no Best Buy, but I'll hopefully get over it. We'll see how crazy I get in about 6 months or so.[/quote]

Sounds like you'll be glad there's no Best Buy if your mortgage is gonna kill you! I'm kinda liking the less shopping opps here. Besides, the internet still killed us when we were overseas with shopping, it's all the same. We ended up in the 801 Clovis housing up by Colonial Park, it's nice. Good luck!

Old 07-17-2009, 08:07 AM

3 posts, read 10,149 times
I'll be working at Cannon as a contractor and I just spent a week in Clovis looking for a place to rent. There is almost nothing. I drove around Clovis and Portales and found a total of 2 For rent signs. Almost nothing in the local paper either. I finally found a run down townhome in NE Clovis for rent and pounced on it. It is about the same price as my apartment in Crestview, FL but a LOT less nice. The only decent looking apartments I could find were full. The rest looked like run down section 8 housing. If it looks like I am going to be there for a few years I might buy if the prices become a little more realistic.

On the plus side I thought Clovis was nicer than the impression I got from reading the forums. It reminds me of Trinidad Colorado near where I grew up. There are enough places to shop to keep me in groceries and entertainment stuff (I like Hastings, wish we had them in Florida and Alabama - there is one in Auburn I hear) plus I do a lot of online shopping.

Some of the people I met in hotels, stores, and Real Estate offices weren't the sunniest people in the world but most were pretty nice and helpful.

Ruidoso, Taos, and Sante Fe aren't too far a drive so I think I am going to have a pretty good time.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:30 PM

Trinidad without mountains and sex change operations. More rednecks in Clovis, less in Portales.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:47 AM

312 posts, read 1,017,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New West 2020 View Post
Trinidad without mountains and sex change operations. More rednecks in Clovis, less in Portales.
It depends on what you mean by "rednecks".

There are plenty of ranchers etc in Portales.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:33 AM

Actually one good strategy is to take an entire Saturday, and drive like the Duke Boys around and around Roosevelt and Curry Counties until you spy a tiny little red "for sale" or "for rent" sign that some local farmer put up behind the bushes in their front yard. If you can read the writing on the sign, and if the farmer happens to be home when you are driving by, and if he likes you, and if you can stand the 1972 paneling and swag lamps, you might just have yourself a great house deal. If not, you just wasted a whole Saturday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico