Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2017, 05:23 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,857,477 times

Advertisements

Some developments have stipends for their tenants absurdly high electric bills. Most don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 01:19 AM

126 posts, read 169,494 times
prior to yesterday, the heat was on every night. how can everyone assume we pay heat? if we had to pay for heat there would be an option to turn it off. it's always been toasty in the apartment except for last night.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:45 AM

13 posts, read 13,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUNYC View Post
prior to yesterday, the heat was on every night. how can everyone assume we pay heat? if we had to pay for heat there would be an option to turn it off. it's always been toasty in the apartment except for last night.
I am really confused about the heat situation. I've been trying to turn my thermostat down, and have even programmed it for both weekday and weekend temps, but it doesn't seem to work. My thermostat is reading 78 degrees and the heat is constantly on, even when I have the thermostat turned to off. I'm going to track down the super this week to try and figure this out--a warm apartment is nice but I certainly don't want to pay for it to stay at 78 degrees.

Old 03-12-2017, 08:55 AM

13 posts, read 13,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynrose View Post
Lastly, how do you like the neighborhood? I have heard only good things about Astoria, but have only been there a couple times. I have always lived in Brooklyn, and currently work in Williamsburg. I will be moving with my 8 month old baby, so just trying to make sure I am making the right decision! Thanks!
Hi there--

I just moved in two weeks ago. Mostly I am loving it. The one thing I am unsure about is the heat situation as I mentioned, I still haven't figured out how to control the heat via my thermostat and I'm not sure exactly what I'm paying for. Transportation (subway)is a bit of a walk but not undoable (and buses are right around the corner) and within easy walking distance there are some really cute restaurants, bakeries, a really cool brewery, and at least two good supermarkets. There is a park directly across the street that my kids are going to go nuts for when it gets warmer (they are already begging to go there.)

I don't know how the situation would be having to commute to work in Williamsburg, but generally I will say that I am a big fan of queens. I have lived here for 15 years, and I have worked in Queens, Brooklyn, and Manhattan. I feel that western Queens, and astoria, are refreshingly unpretentious compared to many parts of Brooklyn, and our communities here are less contested in terms of gentrification, race, etc. I also think that in this particular neighborhoods, you are zoned for some good schools, which I'm sure you are concerned about as a parent. I would recommend checking out their statistics compared to those that you are zoned for currently in Brooklyn. My kids both got into VOICE charter school, which I am pretty happy with, but if they were zoned to one of our local schools here, or if they decide to go to a local public school and middle school, I am also comfortable with those options. This is also a pretty artsy area, and in the summer you will find a lot going on --- movies in a Storia park, movies in Socrates park, a lot of street fairs, free workshops for the kids, etc. we don't have the same architectural charm as some parts of Brooklyn, but I would be very hard pressed to find a good reason to leave. If you do decide to move here, feel free to PM me for any advice on local pediatricians or other family resources.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:21 AM

41 posts, read 54,219 times
I was told by langsam that there will be a gym added in the cellar.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:32 AM

126 posts, read 169,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiledVermonter View Post
I am really confused about the heat situation. I've been trying to turn my thermostat down, and have even programmed it for both weekday and weekend temps, but it doesn't seem to work. My thermostat is reading 78 degrees and the heat is constantly on, even when I have the thermostat turned to off. I'm going to track down the super this week to try and figure this out--a warm apartment is nice but I certainly don't want to pay for it to stay at 78 degrees.
forgot to mention, my first con ed bill came, and from 2/18-3/1 my bill was 25$, so there is no way I'm paying for heat since if the heat was electric thats way too low of an amount, and gas is already included with the apartment

Old 03-12-2017, 11:27 AM

61 posts, read 94,707 times
I spoke to the super last night and he doesn't know what's going on with our heating units but that he is aware of it. The building is new so they are trying to get the kinks out. In the next few days he will be coming around to do an inspection. I suggest that you contact him.

Old 03-12-2017, 03:06 PM

43 posts, read 64,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUNYC View Post
forgot to mention, my first con ed bill came, and from 2/18-3/1 my bill was 25$, so there is no way I'm paying for heat since if the heat was electric thats way too low of an amount, and gas is already included with the apartment

That certainly makes sense but the original advertisement for Steinway Estates only mentioned gas not electric was included in the rent. You can see it here

I also attached a copy hereClick image for larger version

Name:	Steinway Estates.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	657.1 KB
ID:	181957

Old 03-12-2017, 03:41 PM

189 posts, read 287,687 times
Elevators on west side were down last night....only one is up today.

The stairs don't have reentry...luckily the super was around and he opened one the stairs and I was able to get upstairs

I think the idea that stairs don't have reentry kind of sucks what if the elevator breaks down again and no one is around to me upstairs!!!

Also, in rules from langsam it says not to drill any holes on the walls to use your own discretion when making a hole... So question has anyone put up wall decor?? I know you don't have to drill a hole to get that on the wall but like it kind of contradicts because you have make a hole with a nail to hang these things..

Old 03-12-2017, 03:42 PM

189 posts, read 287,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginaq View Post
I was told by langsam that there will be a gym added in the cellar.
On the east or west side or both?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery