Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 05:09 PM

61 posts, read 85,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_brookliner View Post
Hey, Guys! My household is 3people. I applied for one and two bedrooms apartments? Last week I received two letters with number below 100! I’ve never got any number from any other lottery) Am I eligible to send a two applications now? After I read advertising I got shock that can only apply for one lottery and will be disqualified! What can I do now??? Please help((( am I in trouble?
Pick ONE.
Send your application and fee in for that ONE.

Act like you never got the other letter?

Pray they don't notice your name is on both lists.

Probably not, since they didn't notice already and sent you two letters. However, if you apply to both you may cause a red flag at that point. But honestly, I'm guessing I have no clue what would happen.

I do remember having to pick ONE.

LESSON FOR THE REST OF US ----> The lottery system is very much STILL Flawed.

May the odds be forever in your favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 07:26 PM

7 posts, read 12,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynQueen View Post
Pick ONE.
Send your application and fee in for that ONE.

Act like you never got the other letter?

Pray they don't notice your name is on both lists.

Probably not, since they didn't notice already and sent you two letters. However, if you apply to both you may cause a red flag at that point. But honestly, I'm guessing I have no clue what would happen.

I do remember having to pick ONE.

LESSON FOR THE REST OF US ----> The lottery system is very much STILL Flawed.

May the odds be forever in your favor.
I’m thinking to call them and said about that. Don’t want to be kicked out by the end of the process. But I really needs one of those apartment(: don’t know how to proceed now

Old 10-05-2018, 06:46 AM

129 posts, read 270,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_brookliner View Post
I’m thinking to call them and said about that. Don’t want to be kicked out by the end of the process. But I really needs one of those apartment(: don’t know how to proceed now
Pick ONE and act like you never got the other letter. Don't complicate things.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:25 AM

Hey guys!
[EDITED]

Quick Update...

I dropped off my app a few days ago and this is what I learned:

1. Call back times will likely be less than a year depending on your number and spot on the final waiting list. Apparently, they have quite a few apartments. So get your affairs in order.

2. Get your coins up! They DO NOT have any in-house financing or referrals. They don't care how you get the money, just have their money when they call...or they're on to the next. You don't have much time to pay up.

3. 2brs are likely to get called faster because apparently they have more and usually do.

It seems the 3brs are scarce.
1brs are available; they come and go.

But 2brs are the sweet spot in this building.

I so messed up here. They told me I shld have called prior to lottery to find out what they had available. I didn't know I could do that, so lesson learned.

Anyhow, after 1 year, you can put your name on the internal list for a 2br.

4. Don't call to find out your status on the list for at least another 45days. FORTY FIVE DAYS.
Less than that would be an annoyance and they won't likely have an accurate answer as they are processing ALL THREE lotteries, right now.

And when I say they, I mean maybe 2 of them processing 900 applications.

5. COMPLETE YOUR APPLICATION CORRECTLY AND THOROUGHLY. If it requests addl, information, especially as a veteran. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS will pushed to the side...BUT YOU GUYS KNOW THIS ALREADY!! 600 applications, and you're making my job harder? NEXT!

6. Envelope MUST be POSTMARKED with DEADLINE date to be processed. Personally, I suggest you drop off, and get a receipt in hand.

The building is right across from Pratt, has a mail room, security desk and lobby looks very decent for its age.

I'm excited!

Hope this helps some folks out and GOD SPEED EVERYONE!

Last edited by BrooklynQueen; 10-05-2018 at 07:37 AM.. Reason: Errors

Old 10-07-2018, 09:50 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Pick ONE...the two-bedroom, natch.

With a 3 person household, why would you EVER send in an application for a 1 bedroom apartment?

Old 10-07-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Pick ONE...the two-bedroom, natch.

With a 3 person household, why would you EVER send in an application for a 1 bedroom apartment?
The issue that I’ve already sent filled application for one bedroom before I received a new application with log number for two bedroom. Don’t know how to switch now from one to two.

And I applied for both lottery coz it said you able to fit in any of those apartments. I’ve never received any number before for a years from Mitchell lama. And now I received two.

Thinking to ask them to cancel my one bedroom and applied for two....

Thanks

Old 10-07-2018, 11:22 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Maybe don't stir the pot?

Old 10-07-2018, 12:51 PM

Probably you are right!

Old 10-07-2018, 02:36 PM

129 posts, read 270,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Maybe don't stir the pot?
Agreed-If the application was sent already, leave it at that.

Old 11-08-2018, 10:05 AM

Any updates?

Anyone know a timeline status for their application?

Called the other day to find out about the status of my application; a gauge of where I am on the list. But I didn't get a straight answer just a generic "it could be 2-3 years."

What happened to getting called within the year?

What happened to having a LOT of apartment that MUST be filled ASAP?

The woman who answered the phone asked my number like she was gonna really check something and proceeded to NOT but did give me a runaround.

They always seem to mention "veterans" and I'm beginning to think that's a scam. The qualification for the Veteran's preference is very specific. Too specific.

They're probably giving it to family of current residents and their friends. Don't have many apartments but opened the waiting list to make some $$$.

Of course, I am just pissed and disappointed right now and venting, so pay my negativity no mind. Grrr.

This lady just didn't know what she was talking about and didn't want to be bothered with checking cause she's already in HOLIDAY mode.

I will be getting my APARTMENT in the building EARLY NEXT YEAR. So will the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery