Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 01:54 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times

Advertisements

The anti-gentrification argument is racist as well. Would you all be happy if a white neighborhood decided to start a movement to keep it white? Like let's say Boro Park started a "Keep it Kosher" movement or Howard Beach got a "Keep it real, Keep it Italian" movement. I bet you all would start screaming "RACIST" like your pants were on fire.

On this July 4th, let us honor our forefathers and other beacons of freedom like MLK and celebrate the idea of people not being limited on where they live based on skin color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 06:39 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Unfortunately most black neighborhoods in this city are ghetto. There are exceptions however, such as Cambria Heights, Laurelton, and Rosedale. Thankfully, these nice black areas probably won't see gentrification anytime soon.
Maybe not. Many of the Black residents in these places are moving back South or the Caribbean. I doubt everyone they sell too is Black. While traditional gentrification of white hipsters may not be in the offing a demographic shift from say Black to Hispanic or Asian is definitely possible.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:23 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Maybe not. Many of the Black residents in these places are moving back South or the Caribbean. I doubt everyone they sell too is Black. While traditional gentrification of white hipsters may not be in the offing a demographic shift from say Black to Hispanic or Asian is definitely possible.
What's happening in SE Queens is the African Americans are leaving and they're being replaced by Caribbeans, some Africans and some Hispanics. I grew up there and it's a very tough commute to Manhattan. But if you work in Queens or LI, it's ideal.

IMO, the gentrifiers aren't interested in what a Laurelton, Cambria Heights or Rosedale has to offer. These neighborhoods have a very suburban feel. They're very "working/middle-class," not edgy or gritty, have zero night life, no trendy stores or restaurants.

MAYBE ... if the schools improved ... this part of town might appeal to young couples of other races looking for a nice house and a small backyard.

The same houses that you'd find in Fresh Meadows, Bayside, Bellerose, Hollis Hills, etc., are in any of these neighborhoods and they're much cheaper. And, in Laurelton, south of Merrick Blvd, the houses are large, exquisite tudors.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:06 AM

961 posts, read 2,464,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
The anti-gentrification argument is racist as well. Would you all be happy if a white neighborhood decided to start a movement to keep it white? Like let's say Boro Park started a "Keep it Kosher" movement or Howard Beach got a "Keep it real, Keep it Italian" movement. I bet you all would start screaming "RACIST" like your pants were on fire.

On this July 4th, let us honor our forefathers and other beacons of freedom like MLK and celebrate the idea of people not being limited on where they live based on skin color.
Anti-gentrification argument racist? So many of the Polish people being priced out of Greenpoint, I guess they just hate White people? I also have many Greek and Italian friends from Astoria who complain about the rising costs and the out of place condos popping up, I guess they hate "whitey" too?

Old 07-04-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
Anti-gentrification argument racist? So many of the Polish people being priced out of Greenpoint, I guess they just hate White people? I also have many Greek and Italian friends from Astoria who complain about the rising costs and the out of place condos popping up, I guess they hate "whitey" too?
The anti-gentrification argument isn't racist, IMO. It's economic and all about getting priced out. As the poster above said, many neighborhoods that have gentrified or are in the process were historically all white. I'll add Woodside and Sunnyside to your list because although they are pretty much still solidly working class, and were once majority white, I expect higher income people will move there because of the proximity to Manhattan.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:45 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
True indeed. I know some italians who complain about astorias change, but it reels in alot of money for some. Its not rascist its pure economics. White nyc natives are totally different then the waspy transplants from breadbaskets and biblebelts.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
True indeed. I know some italians who complain about astorias change, but it reels in alot of money for some. Its not rascist its pure economics. White nyc natives are totally different then the waspy transplants from breadbaskets and biblebelts.
Middle class and higher income level blacks gentrified Fort Greene and Clinton Hill, Brooklyn in the 90s. Those neighborhoods had been heavily poor black/Hispanic.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:51 AM

448 posts, read 685,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Unfortunately most black neighborhoods in this city are ghetto. There are exceptions however, such as Cambria Heights, Laurelton, and Rosedale. Thankfully, these nice black areas probably won't see gentrification anytime soon.
Or could it be that most ignorant people THINK that most black neighborhoods are ghetto? Hmmmmmm.....

I also love that fact that when 2 or 3 "non colored" people move into a "ghetto" neighborhood, and its automatically considered "up and coming".

I love posting here!! The comedy really gets me through my day!!

Old 07-04-2011, 12:15 PM

14 posts, read 18,018 times
Quote:
Gentrification is the best thing that happened to Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn. What needs to happen next is the abolishment of rent regulation laws, public housing, and Section 8. The market will determine where the ghettos are located and folks can keep it real in those places.
Right on!

Old 07-04-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol at mlk View Post
Right on!
Quote:
Gentrification is the best thing that happened to Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn. What needs to happen next is the abolishment of rent regulation laws, public housing, and Section 8. The market will determine where the ghettos are located and folks can keep it real in those places.
And what about the people that fall between the gentrifiers and the poor? Where will they live? My issue with gentrification has nothing to do with race. It's about the loss of affordable housing for working, middle-class families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City