Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 06:11 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times

Advertisements

I'm fascinated at the way eating on the subway has suddenly become an issue...with debates, yet! You were never supposed to be eating on the subway; it so happened that the ban hasn't been enforced.

What's happened is that things have gotten to the point where MTA has to do something about the rat epidemic--this is why the ban on eating in the subway is suddenly a concern. It really isn't a big deal. Don't bring food onto the trains. Turns out to be pretty simple, actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 08:16 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Nope. Had a delicious vegetable sandwich I savored on the way to my 13 hour shift (sans break). Wouldn't have it any other way. I only eat about once a day, I have iron deficiency anemia and worked 70 hours this week, and I'll be darned if someone tells me I can't eat during the 2.5 hours I travel daily.
not to get off topic, but if what you say is true, which I find hard to believe, then you need to report your employer to the department of labor. If you are the ONLY employee then they can't have you leave for meal break and that would probably be the only exception but otherwise, it is NYS LAW that employers provide a minimum of 30 minutes for meal break. This is from the NYS Dept of Labor:

Time Allowed For Meals: Employers must permit the following meal breaks. Employees need not be paid for meal breaks, absent an agreement to the contrary.
The Noon Meal Break: Factory employees shall be allowed at least sixty minutes for the noon meal. All employees in mercantile or other establishments who work a shift of more than six hours which extends over the period between 11:00 A.M. and 2:00 P.M. are entitled to a half-hour meal break.
The Dinner Break: An additional twenty minute break between the hours of five and seven P.M. shall be allowed to all employees whose work shift begins before 11:00 A.M. and ends after 7:00 P.M.
Night Shift Meal Break: Persons employed for a shift in excess of six hours commencing between 1:00 P.M. and 6:00 A.M. shall be entitled to a meal period of at least sixty minutes if employed in a factory or forty-five minutes if employed in a mercantile or other establishment. The meal period must be scheduled at a time midway between the beginning and end of the shift.

The fact that you moved somewhere that it takes you that long to commute, is your decision. I live on LI but work at the a$$ end of Queens. My commute is at minimum, on a good day, 1 hr 15 minutes. I made the choice to move there. I eat when I get home at 8:30 pm.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Great more gov't control...just what we need. Let me guess there will be a fine? How about we pass a ban on defecating and urinating in the Subways? If its already passed, let's do more to enforce it. The Cleaners need a job and at the rate we are paying them, I rather see them do some work than sit on their ass.

Funny you mention that! I've noticed over the past few months that there are cleaners at certain subway stops, 179 St being one of them. They mop up the subway cars and sweep the platforms. It's lessened the stink of urine and the cars are a little cleaner. Now if they can only catch these people relieving themselves. I've seen with my own eyes, more than once, sadly, the same woman get off the train and drop her pants on the platform. She has serious issues. I've seen her get into arguments because she thought someone was looking at her. G-d forbid anyone sits less than 5 inches away from her. Anyway, I don't think it's about gov't control. There has to be some kind of limit otherwise it becomes a free for all.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:49 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
I recently saw a woman, cut, file and polish her finger nails AND toe nails. When she was done she proceeded to take out a shaver and shave her legs. All this is ok - but you can't eat?? This Bill will never pass!!
To the person who Rep'd me and wondered if this was a normal person or a homeless person -- she was absolutely a normal person.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:56 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
To the person who Rep'd me and wondered if this was a normal person or a homeless person -- she was absolutely a normal person.
Just because someone has a roof over their head at night does not necessarily mean they are "normal"!

I would think a better measure of normality is whether or not they engage in aberrant behavior or do things outside of culturally accepted norms. Shaving your legs and clipping your toenails on the subway is aberrant behavior.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Really? Because I consider myself "normal" and I don't shave my legs on the train. How many other "normal" women out there do this? Just sayin'.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:25 PM

504 posts, read 1,579,690 times
I don't think it will pass. New Yorkers are cut from a different cloth and for most things, we like to go against the actual norm.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:34 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2va76 View Post
I don't think it will pass. New Yorkers are cut from a different cloth and for most things, we like to go against the actual norm.
I'm not sure this is coming up in a referendum on which we can vote. MTA, which owns and operates the subway system, can enact such regulations as it sees fit, without requiring a special election. And if you think about it, that isn't very unusual. The city doesn't ask your permission for setting a parking violation fine, does it?

As I said earlier, eating on the subway is already prohibited. It's just a question of enforcing an already-established regulation. That should be the end of the discussion...but something tells me it's not.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:39 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
If you can't smoke in a park outside, No, you should ne be able to eat in the subway. Not meaning a life saver of hershey bar, but chinese food, or the infamous Spaghetti mean.

See now if we knew people were clean and neat and threw their garbage in the receptibles we would not have a problem, but people are pigs and throw their garbage all over the place.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:58 PM

504 posts, read 1,579,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I'm not sure this is coming up in a referendum on which we can vote. MTA, which owns and operates the subway system, can enact such regulations as it sees fit, without requiring a special election. And if you think about it, that isn't very unusual. The city doesn't ask your permission for setting a parking violation fine, does it?

As I said earlier, eating on the subway is already prohibited. It's just a question of enforcing an already-established regulation. That should be the end of the discussion...but something tells me it's not.
While I agree that it should be enforced, it would have to be to the effect of handing out steep fines for people to really get the message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City