Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 01:48 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,733 times

Advertisements

Henna,

Thanks for the link to that thread. I like it.

On another note, you misread me (reading what you typed in your other post on this thread) if you think that I said I'd be willing to live in the Bronx if the rent was FREE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 01:55 PM

Default I don't think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
If you wanted to move to New Jersey, New York was probably never a good fit for you. New Jersey is certainly is not necessarily cheaper for anything even remotely commute-able.

I think you are wrong about the Bronx.
I also thought you were wrong about Hamilton Heights.
A number of people move out of NY to NJ for less expensive housing. The trains and buses bringing commuters in to NYC from NJ are packed and those people are not all native to NJ. Why continue to pay $1300+ for a one-room studio when you can get large full 1 bedroom for $900 in NJ? A two bedroom for $1200? None of these are in a basement. I kid you not, that is price range in NJ. Moving to NJ makes financial sense for some people. It doesn't mean NYC was never for us. Most or as in my case all of our life activity is still in NYC (work, social, personal, cultural, religion, and recreational).

Old 07-15-2013, 01:57 PM

Default More for my money

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
You might end up feeling miserable anywhere you go. What is it that might make you want to live somewhere.
Getting more for my money and a better quality of life with a higher standard of living.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:06 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
Im not forcing anyone to live in the Bronx or like it. But if someone has inner problems they usually follow wherever you go... even to the nicest beach in Tahiti.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:06 PM

Default No outsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
If you can afford to live in L.I then you can afford to live in Brooklyn or Queens. You just have to look hard enough. The OP pretty much bashed every borough except Manhattan [but noticeably more so for the Bronx], but everyone jumped on him just for bashing the Bronx. I agree that what he said was pretty stupid [If I was offered a rent free apt in Riverdale, Woodlawn, Morris Park etc, I would jump on that quicker then a roadrunner.] and it's pretty obvious he doesn't know the borough that well, but people seem to forget that the Bronx to outsiders still has a reputation for being a ghetto.

I'm a "her" not a him. You made a lot of assumptions but you have no idea where I've lived over the years. I only listed L.I and Manhattan as former residences but I've lived in every borough except Staten Island at one point or another. I didn't bash the other boroughs in my post. I indicated that I couldn't afford them for what I wanted. This is no "outsider" talking. I know the Bronx very, very well. Strangely, you didn't mention Parkchester along with the other areas you consider nice? Hmm, I wonder why. At any rate, even to "insiders" the Bronx have a reputation for being ghetto because (Riverdale, Woodlawn, residential section near the water in the area of the Whitestone & Throgsneck aside) it is GHETTO.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:08 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
You might end up feeling miserable anywhere you go. What is it that might make you want to live somewhere.
Agreed.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:21 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Henna,

Thanks for the link to that thread. I like it.

On another note, you misread me (reading what you typed in your other post on this thread) if you think that I said I'd be willing to live in the Bronx if the rent was FREE.
Oh yes, my mistake. You did say you wouldn't live there even if the rent was free. For someone who is crying so much about money, you make some odd (hypothetical) choices. But hey, to each his own. HER own, in your case.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:32 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
The OP should hurry up and leave before the evil Bronx residents get her! RUN!

Old 07-15-2013, 02:39 PM

10 posts, read 8,818 times
I find it amusing that people feel the need to be rude to people who are considering moving out of NYC.

Sometimes, a place can run it's course and people are just ready to move on to their next stage or step in life. OP never bashed the people or the attitudes that come with NYC, they just felt they were being priced out.

OP, please stop by before you move, so we can take a picture together if we haven't already!

Old 07-15-2013, 02:46 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
I find it amusing that people feel the need to be rude to an entire borough.

Sometimes, ignorance is so profound so as to lump an entire borough as beneath them. OP is too poor to live in whatever she feels she deserves, and then dismisses an entire borough cuz she is just too good to live there (although certainly within the income range of said borough). Priced out the op is not, entitled....YES.

OP, please stop by before you move, so I can give you a swift Bronx kick in the a$$!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City