Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 08:01 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Stupid comparison. A murder by private citizens is a crime and is investigated and prosecuted was much as possible. A police killing of a citizen is the forces of the government killing someone and is not always considered a crime.
So you're saying a black person dying at the hands of a cop is worse and more tragic than a black person dying at the hands of another black person? To me I see them as equally tragic, but to you and alot of other people, it seems like one black life lost matters more if they're killed by police than if they were simply killed by another black person.

And I get it. Police should be serving and protecting citizens and not killing them needlessly and I'm not saying this isn't an important issue for black people. BUT if the objective is to prevent blacks from being murdered then why aren't they spending just as much time and energy if not moreso in tackling the infinitely larger issue of black on black crime?

And hypothetically let's just say blacks get what they want here and police and the justice system DO end up treating them more fairly and more justly around the country. My questions is SO WHAT? What will that ultimately change in the long run? Will it lower the black crime and murder rate? Without changing how things are in the black community, I'd say highly unlikely. Will it make blacks more peaceful in general? That's debatable and could potentially make things worse.

The bottom line is what great change will there be if blacks are treated more fairly by law enforcement and the justice system? Not much in my opinion as I doubt many blacks will suddenly become good people simply because cops treat them better. Conversely what would be the results if blacks put equal passion, energy and time into raising their kids right and cleaning up their communities of thugs and criminals? I would say profound and real long term change would occur because you're tackling and solving a problem that's significantly more important and impactful to their communities. But I guess many blacks disagree and you see how that's working out for them all these years.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:05 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,349,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittheroadjack View Post
That dude definitely hit it right on the money, not denying anything. I just find it downright annoying when people judge all blacks based off of what they see in the media or use that Black on Black crime thing as a deterrent from the topic at hand. Visit the current events section of CD that's all you'll see, oh blacks love welfare, oh blacks beat me up when I was younger, oh blacks blah blah blah...

83% of White murder victims were murdered by (ooh such a shocker) Whites. The (unfortunate) fact is whenever a Black person does something the whole race gets categorized as that. We constantly get labeled as thugs based off of media perception & you'd have to be naive or you're deliberately ignoring this.

Sh*t, are all White males mentally unstable & more inclined to commit mass killings because the majority of mass murder assailants seen on TV were white except for Elliot Rogers who was White/Asian? No of course not.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:13 PM

205 posts, read 507,853 times
Holy crap. 14 pages.

Don't you people ever get tired of arguing about the same thing over and over again? You're not actively changing anything. It's just constant bickering, whining, arguing and trying to prove how smart you are. A group of angry, miserable people that love to attack one another and pretend it's a "debate."

I guarantee every body in this thread at one point in their lives had a racist thought. It's a racist WORLD. It's been going on for thousands of years. It's ingrained into humanity. It takes a lot of effort and willingness to overcome such bigotry.

If anything, the news isn't helping either. Media loves to rustle the masses through racial tension for ratings. Stop feeding into it. We really have no idea what that cop was thinking. He's a rookie, shorter and smaller than Garner, probably a little anxious and got caught up in an adrenaline fueled arrest.

This forum needs a lot of alcohol and some comical relief. There should be a sticky dedicated to "NY humor" to lighten this place up.

Last edited by Silverback1983; 12-03-2014 at 08:27 PM..

Old 12-03-2014, 08:15 PM
cml

180 posts, read 290,490 times
My take on this situation is that the officer could have cuffed the guy for resisting arrest instead and the officer probably resign. what I find ridiculous is that people are throwing race into here for attention, this is not about race it's and American issue and a police brutality issue. the guy had illegal cigarettes and maybe refused arrest but I still think the officer could have just cuffed Eric Garner

Old 12-03-2014, 08:23 PM

93,356 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Are you being serious???? It was on John Stuart and Colbert show this week. It was on MSNBC and CNN. There has been multiple stories on that kis in Cleveland. In all honesty if you want to have a dialouge on the media in America. The only time the media pays attention. Cops kill a minortiy. If a celebrity ends up in a murder situation. Then you have 24/7 coverage. The last time there was 24/7 coverage with a black on white crime??? OJ. Are you gonna tell me that's the only time a black has attacked a white person????
I was talking about riots or even major demonstrations. I think the difference is in regards to charges in relation to extent, in most cases, in comparison. Keep in mind, those are two children, 7 and 12 years old that were killed. So, there is an age aspect to think about as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-03-2014 at 08:33 PM..

Old 12-03-2014, 08:31 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Not everyone needs to be concerned. White, black, brown and yellow people who follow the law, work, and otherwise lead a good life do not have much to fear from police officers. EG and MB brought on their own problems with the police by not doing just that.
Very disappointing and myopic comment. You are ignoring the most glaring issue: this system that we Americans created as the so called greatest system on earth with "liberty and justice for all" is flawed! You cannot excuse wrongdoing for those that are supposed to uphold the law. If one loves this country and what it's supposed to stand for then one should be appalled at this outcome.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:33 PM

274 posts, read 298,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cml View Post
My take on this situation is that the officer could have cuffed the guy for resisting arrest instead and the officer probably resign. what I find ridiculous is that people are throwing race into here for attention, this is not about race it's and American issue and a police brutality issue. the guy had illegal cigarettes and maybe refused arrest but I still think the officer could have just cuffed Eric Garner
It's like the boy who cried wolf. For many years people paid attention when someone claimed racism. Today, most of us have witnessed some crazy person in public yelling racism over some dumb sh** like waiting long for their burger to come out at a restaurant (yep, iv seen it)

So nowadays, when someone cries racism, its followed up with EYE ROLLS because that card has been pulled far too often.

Life is not easy for anyone, despite what some may think. We all have our own problems. But im telling you, the problem with all of this is that these "victims" were all resisting (in some shape or form) and police do not take kindly to that. They will use more than necessary force to take you down if they feel their life in danger or that you are being belligerent.

THIS is precisly why more Americans are not outraged. You have Suspect (at best) "victims" , playing the race card and who were all resisting arrest. This is a recipe for most people to not have any compassion for this situation.

I am no police lover, but I know how to stay away from trouble and not let things escalate.

Just do what they ask.

I am a pasty white boy and I guarantee you they will face plant my a** into the ground if I resist arrest, sit on top of me with their knee into my back and not be gentle as they wrestle me into a squad car. Iv seen it several times

Old 12-03-2014, 08:43 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lion. View Post
There better not be any rioting tonight. We are not Ferguson; we have many historical buildings to protect.
Monkey see, monkey do.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:46 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,754,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Very disappointing and myopic comment. You are ignoring the most glaring issue: this system that we Americans created as the so called greatest system on earth with "liberty and justice for all" is flawed! You cannot excuse wrongdoing for those that are supposed to uphold the law. If one loves this country and what it's supposed to stand for then one should be appalled at this outcome.
I'm sorry that you are disappointed jad2k. I am not of the belief that all PO's are murderers and that all blacks are criminals. My comments were refering to EG and MB. It's my opinion that they both brought upon their own deaths.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:50 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,805 times
The ruling class has your minds on lock. Fully divided and conquered along ethnic lines and killing each other over red herrings. Props to the ruling class for dominating the American masses so thoroughly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City