Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2014, 01:05 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

They were told to move their grill off the sidewalk. They didn't and the situation escalated. Fortunately no one was hurt. Rosan, the pregnant woman was put in a chokehold because she slapped or tried to slap the cop arresting her husband. She stupidly put herself and her baby at risk.

As for the husband, he refused to show cops ID and refused to remove the grill from the sidewalk. Had he complied with the officers, perhaps all this would have been avoided. But I suspect he had a criminal record and was likely on probation, which is why he didn't want to show the cops his id. All this is assuming the story in the post is true, which it may not be.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:09 PM

113 posts, read 127,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Very, very true. They're all bad asses behind the computer screen.
Are you insinuating my thoughts would get me beaten up in real life? Maybe that's the reason members of your community are unable to stay out of prison .

Old 12-04-2014, 01:29 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1231 View Post
Are you insinuating my thoughts would get me beaten up in real life? Maybe that's the reason members of your community are unable to stay out of prison .
What "community" are you talking about? Like my CURRENT neighborhood?

Old 12-04-2014, 01:38 PM

113 posts, read 127,064 times
Just goes back to the thug/ghetto mentality. I know you would love to turn this into a racial thing but any race moving out of poverty has had to evolve and stop using violence as a bargaining tool. The alternative to that would be what is playing out now, a clash of cultures. With all the anger maybe it's inevitable how this will play out might be best to just get it over with.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:56 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1231 View Post
Just goes back to the thug/ghetto mentality. I know you would love to turn this into a racial thing but any race moving out of poverty has had to evolve and stop using violence as a bargaining tool. The alternative to that would be what is playing out now, a clash of cultures. With all the anger maybe it's inevitable how this will play out might be best to just get it over with.
You're the one that brought up "race".

The problem is this particular cop has done this before and was sued for it. NYPD had to pay $32k to settle the case. He also has a history of pulling down black suspects pants and slapping their testicles supposedly looking for "drugs" (yeah, right ). He's being sued for that sick crap too.

The department has to root out the knuckleheads and stop putting them on assignments. Yes, Ray Kelly and Bloomberg would reward them for their brutality with promotions and such, but Bratton and DeBlasio would like to have a "professional" police department again.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:04 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
This dude was in his 40s with 5+ kids, no steady job and 30+ prior arrest. Sorry dummy but after 30+ arrest you should be a pro on how to interact and deal with cops.

You killed yourself when you decided you wanted to wrestle with the cops. All you had to do was get arrested like an experienced criminal.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:09 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
After getting arrested 30 times you'd think he would have learned the routine. Hands behind back with wrists together.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:16 PM

595 posts, read 560,655 times
Just because you say you don't want to be touched after being caught committing a crime doesn't excuse you from being arrested. That's called resisting arrest

Old 12-04-2014, 06:54 PM

19,053 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Why learn after 30+ arrests when thousands of people stand ready to support your behavior?

The people who need to learn at this point are the cops: stop paying attention to nonsense that doesn't affect anyone outside of the "community". Let the communities police themselves. Stay in the car, drink coffee, go home. It is really that simple.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:43 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
One reason why Gardner got the support he did is he was going to be arrested for selling loose cigarettes.

Those who smoke cigarettes give a way individual cigs all the time or sell them to those who ask for them for a dollar.

Is it worth all the drama to even bother to arrest someone for THIS particular crime? He wasn't hurting anyone when he got caught selling loosies.

You see, the officers themselves involved in these incidents, do not end up undamaged. There's a decent chance the officer could lose their job (goodbye pension), plus you're demonized to the public.

It's why someone on this forum is saying officers should just drink coffee and go home in cases like this. I tend to agree, had they drank coffee and ignored Gardner selling cigarettes there wouldn't be protests all over because of this now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City