U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-13-2017, 06:36 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
8,116 posts, read 3,425,703 times
Reputation: 3262

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I can't keep up the same posting pace as you do. You can believe what you want.

As I said, my post was a reaction to a generalization that non native born Americans are generally moochers. I didn't hear you say otherwise so does that mean that you agree?
Am in disagreement.

 
Old 07-13-2017, 06:49 PM
 
510 posts, read 151,517 times
Reputation: 435
Believe it or not in the people republics of the upper east and west side there are co-op buildings where there's not one single latino or black family!
 
Old 07-13-2017, 06:56 PM
 
24,060 posts, read 17,467,813 times
Reputation: 9120
Honestly everyone is affected by political trends. Trump is the President, and he may get reelected. I've noticed a big quieting down among the social justice crowd.
 
Old 07-13-2017, 07:03 PM
 
Location: New York, NY
8,116 posts, read 3,425,703 times
Reputation: 3262
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
Believe it or not in the people republics of the upper east and west side there are co-op buildings where there's not one single latino or black family!
Am thinking you think that's some sort of crime. Am here to tell you that there are plenty of black and brown areas where there are no whites! *Imagine* that!
 
Old 07-13-2017, 07:52 PM
 
1,986 posts, read 1,134,414 times
Reputation: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The "identity politics" thing is a right wing talking point! A criticism of Bernie or at least the Berniebros, is that they seem to want to ignore social issues and are only concerned with promoting socialism to white peoole.

And conservatives also use identity politics. As a matrer of fact, that's probably how they've gotten poor rural white people to keep voting against their own interests.

For what it's worth, I voted for Bernie but I really don't think any of the 2016 Dem candidates were great. But any of them would farrrrrr better than Trump of course.
The Ku Klux Klan was the earliest "identity politics" group. Don't forget the highly educated, several senators, and powerful people were members.

Saying the 2016 candidates would far better than Trump is questionable. To be honest the majority of the candidates were horrible and this is truly a time when US politics is at its lowest point in a long time.
 
Old 07-13-2017, 08:32 PM
 
9,512 posts, read 14,738,816 times
Reputation: 9729
Let's not.
 
Old 07-13-2017, 10:51 PM
 
Location: Bronx
16,047 posts, read 18,571,439 times
Reputation: 8097
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
Believe it or not in the people republics of the upper east and west side there are co-op buildings where there's not one single latino or black family!
I remember some Israeli guy I used to work with told me about a building that does not allow Jews. I had to laugh my rocks off. I can understand a building not have a certain minority group, but not having a Jew in upper east side building? Don't you guys control nyc real estate?
 
Old 07-13-2017, 11:19 PM
 
24,060 posts, read 17,467,813 times
Reputation: 9120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
The Ku Klux Klan was the earliest "identity politics" group. Don't forget the highly educated, several senators, and powerful people were members.

Saying the 2016 candidates would far better than Trump is questionable. To be honest the majority of the candidates were horrible and this is truly a time when US politics is at its lowest point in a long time.
Both Republican and Democratic candidates were horrible and poor Hillary was just inept. Both she and Bernie were inept.
 
Old 07-14-2017, 06:47 AM
 
3,671 posts, read 2,148,770 times
Reputation: 1756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I remember some Israeli guy I used to work with told me about a building that does not allow Jews. I had to laugh my rocks off. I can understand a building not have a certain minority group, but not having a Jew in upper east side building? Don't you guys control nyc real estate?
What an ignorant statement. You really don't understand NYC, or American history.

There have always been several upper class buildings that did not allow Jews. (and plenty of suburbs as well).
Particularly on the Upper East Side, in the upper crust areas.
That's why the Upper West Side became so much more Jewish than the Upper East Side.

For sure it's less common today, but am I surprised that there are still a few snooty buildings on the Upper East Side that try to restrict Jews moving on? No.

(and no, Jews do NOT "control" NYC real estate. Stereotype much?)
 
Old 07-14-2017, 06:55 AM
 
24,060 posts, read 17,467,813 times
Reputation: 9120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
What an ignorant statement. You really don't understand NYC, or American history.

There have always been several upper class buildings that did not allow Jews. (and plenty of suburbs as well).
Particularly on the Upper East Side, in the upper crust areas.
That's why the Upper West Side became so much more Jewish than the Upper East Side.

For sure it's less common today, but am I surprised that there are still a few snooty buildings on the Upper East Side that try to restrict Jews moving on? No.

(and no, Jews do NOT "control" NYC real estate. Stereotype much?)
Anti-Semitic much? Or irrational much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:02 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top