Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 06:37 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDrop149 View Post
Or maybe it just doesn't bother everyone? Maybe they've become desensitized to it? Anybody who's lived in Harlem since back in the days has dealt with way worse quality of life issues than ice cream trucks.

I also know I'm in the minority in this forum but I actually don't mind the sound of mr softee trucks, kids playing, motorcycles, outdoor music and fireworks... cause it sounds like summer time in NYC. The streets sounds alive. It gives the neighborhood flavor and a vibe that you wont find on the bland upper west side. However some ppl like bland and quiet...I get it but it's silly to move to a neighborhood and go to war over something that everyone else seems to accept.
But maybe you didn't have a Mr. Softee truck parked outside of your window idling for more than an hour at at time and playing the jingle repetitively, which is what the article stated she was experiencing.

You can judge all you want, but you really have no idea what the nature was of the noise she experienced unless you're there sitting inside her apartment hearing the exact same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 02:09 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,685,018 times
I dunno, I wouldn't mind a Mr. Softee truck. But I'm with DewDrop, I kinda like neighborhoods with stuff going on and people in the streets. Go out and mingle.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:18 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,923 times
Reason number 125546 why living on a block with mature residents is a good thing. Only one house (a Bangladeshi family) is inhabited by a couple with young kids. Half the homes are retired individuals/couples. Mr. Softee doesn't come down my block. No loud house parties or music either.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:21 PM

P.S: I was told recently that those trucks sells drugs too. Hence why the odd hrs of the night/being stationary for a long time instead of driving block to block to reach the most customers. This was corroborated by 2 other folks in law enforcement.

Don't know. But I was looked at like a naive transplant when I expressed surprise about this bit of info.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:22 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
P.S: I was told recently that those trucks sells drugs too. Hence why the odd hrs of the night/being stationary for a long time instead of driving block to block to reach the most customers. This was corroborated by 2 other folks in law enforcement.

Don't know. But I was looked at like a naive transplant when I expressed surprise about this bit of info.
I highly doubt most Mr Softee trucks sell drugs.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I did not say MOST did. But it blew my mind that ANY drugs were sold from Mr. Softee trucks. They are not exactly inconspicuous. But neither are the corner dope dealers and corner stores selling drugs. Oh well.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:10 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post

People go into them hood chicken spots for more than a 2 piece and a dinner roll

Old 06-03-2019, 08:49 AM

1,567 posts, read 906,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
The NYC Good Humor truck franchise was owned by the Hell's Angels in the East Village for many years. At least this was neighborhood folklore because the Good Humor garage was directly adjacent to the Angel's headquarters.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:11 AM

172 posts, read 590,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
But maybe you didn't have a Mr. Softee truck parked outside of your window idling for more than an hour at at time and playing the jingle repetitively, which is what the article stated she was experiencing.

You can judge all you want, but you really have no idea what the nature was of the noise she experienced unless you're there sitting inside her apartment hearing the exact same thing.
I'm not judging, I'm just speaking my opinion from my own experiences as a life long NYC resident. Actually I have dealt with ice cream trucks outside my window but they'll usually gone by dark so I didnt sweat it. However I have kids that argue,cry, play instruments and blast baby shark from the crack of dawn so maybe my noise tolerance is a little higher than most.

I did however deal with young Spanish neighbors that like to blast the merengue and reggaeton until the wee hours of the morning when I had to work during the week. One day I saw the guy in the hallway and explained my situation. I didnt yell or threaten to call the cops. We spoke like men, shook hands and I never had a problem. Maybe that lady should've bought a cone and had a chat with the ice cream guy instead of calling the cops and telling him what he better do. That's probably why ppl view her negativity. I don't see it as a racial issue though. There are plenty of miserable old black ladies who complain about everything too.

As far as ice cream trucks selling drugs that's nonsense. I'm not saying it's impossible or never happen but it's rare. In this city we've had everyone from ivy league students to cops sell drugs so anything is possible. Those guys are just trying to make a living. That reminds me of when I was in law enforcement, many guys saw every business in the hood as a drug den. It didnt matter if it was a barber shop, chicken spot, bodega ect. They also saw every black or brown teen as a skell, ghetto trash or a criminal that just hasn't been caught yet. I wouldn't even say they were racist. These guys were from staten isl or upstate and that's just the mentality they had of the city. I would argue and debate them but if they were right 1 time out of 50 they'd say see I told you so! Anyway that's one reason I left that job.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:29 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDrop149 View Post
Or maybe it just doesn't bother everyone? M
All you masochists that love taking the noise abuse are gonna love this guy

New York Is a Noisy City. One Man Got Revenge.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/04/n...oud-noisy.html

Mike Edison, who lives on the Upper East Side of Manhattan, has taken to suing or threatening to sue companies over excessive noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City