Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 05:42 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,573,689 times

Advertisements

we Are still discussing about this?
This incident is all about publicity.
You know what I think?
Black took this as an advantage and say is time for us to use this excuse and tell them that we are not being treated right, yet, there are so many laws out there protecting these minors from discriminating to getting a minimum wage of $15.

Sure, the officer is wrong from using chokehold, but if Garner didn’t resist, none of these problem would occur in the first place. Why can’t him simply comply? What is so hard about complying?

People be complaining oh black is being targeted, yet if you look at majority of crimes committed by black, any normal person would have a second thought about activities involves with black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 06:02 PM

4,587 posts, read 2,596,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
we Are still discussing about this?
This incident is all about publicity.
You know what I think?
Black took this as an advantage and say is time for us to use this excuse and tell them that we are not being treated right, yet, there are so many laws out there protecting these minors from discriminating to getting a minimum wage of $15.

Sure, the officer is wrong from using chokehold, but if Garner didn’t resist, none of these problem would occur in the first place. Why can’t him simply comply? What is so hard about complying?

People be complaining oh black is being targeted, yet if you look at majority of crimes committed by black, any normal person would have a second thought about activities involves with black.
What ?

Old 10-01-2019, 06:17 PM

34,035 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
They were completely proper in going hard after minor crimes. This is a basic tenant of the "Broken Windows" policing strategy that worked spectacularly in NYC for twenty years. Take care of the minor crimes, and for a large part, that will take care of the major crimes also. The last thing the city needs in an "anything goes" attitude on the street.

As far a Garner, if he just calmed down and let the cops cuff him up, he'd have been out in a few hours with a disappearance ticket. And his primary cause of death was his own poor health.
I don't understand why people are so convinced that the "Broken Windows" theory actually worked. How does ticketing people for drinking/smoking in the street and hopping turnstiles lead to less violent crime? How does ticketing for turnstile hopping prevent future rapists, arsonists, burglarists, drug dealers and murderers?

All Broken Windows theory does is catch the idiots who were already doing idiotic stuff to begin with. When they get jammed up its because they had priors. So Broken Windows does not prevent people from becoming new criminals. Smh.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-01-2019, 06:22 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,655,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
The main cause of his death was his resisting arrest. If he would have complied he would have been out of jail before the arresting officers completed their paperwork. And he’d be free to impregnate another baby momma.
Thanks for some interesting and thoughtful replies. Not yours, though, Bear, so let me elaborate about my music about Garner's weight.

I'm not big on reading up on most crimes, so I was surprised to find out late in the game that he had been employed by the city but left for health reason: diabetes, sleep apnea, and asthma. All tend to crop up with overweight people. So, what I keep wondering about is that, apart from the immediate cause of his death - breaking the law, resisting arrest, and a chokehold - if you went and looked at the entire life, you might be able to say that this guy ended up fat - maybe because of poor education, maybe because his mother was a lousy cook, maybe because he lived in a food desert. The fat made him ill. The illness made him unable to work. Then, to top it off, when the cops came, and there was this big guy resisting arrest, they pounced on him en masse. If he was a skinny guy, maybe fewer cops would have pounced, and of course he wouldn't have had those same breathing problems.

I'm not saying that fat is an excuse, just as I don't think that bad upbringing is an excuse for crime. But I think it's a sad element that I never heard discussed, and I find it all very tragic, as if someone were accidentally shot for jaywalking.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:38 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,747,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
To be raised by taxpayers because you know Eric wasn't going to.

Anyway, taxpayers ended paying his family for his death. He lives, we lose. He dies, we lose.
Isn't this system wonderful?
I’m in NC now and thankfully not contributing to that massive welfare system in NY. My heart goes out to you....

Old 10-01-2019, 06:49 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,747,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Thanks for some interesting and thoughtful replies. Not yours, though, Bear, so let me elaborate about my music about Garner's weight.

I'm not big on reading up on most crimes, so I was surprised to find out late in the game that he had been employed by the city but left for health reason: diabetes, sleep apnea, and asthma. All tend to crop up with overweight people. So, what I keep wondering about is that, apart from the immediate cause of his death - breaking the law, resisting arrest, and a chokehold - if you went and looked at the entire life, you might be able to say that this guy ended up fat - maybe because of poor education, maybe because his mother was a lousy cook, maybe because he lived in a food desert. The fat made him ill. The illness made him unable to work. Then, to top it off, when the cops came, and there was this big guy resisting arrest, they pounced on him en masse. If he was a skinny guy, maybe fewer cops would have pounced, and of course he wouldn't have had those same breathing problems.

I'm not saying that fat is an excuse, just as I don't think that bad upbringing is an excuse for crime. But I think it's a sad element that I never heard discussed, and I find it all very tragic, as if someone were accidentally shot for jaywalking.
How does a career criminal get a job with the city???

Old 10-01-2019, 07:32 PM

16,028 posts, read 6,834,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Listen, this is exactly what I was talking about when the O Neil fired Pantaleo... you do not use that much police resources, manpower and excessive force on someone that’s just selling cigarettes... Gardner didn’t have a criminal history so wtf did he lose his life for? Nothing. PD was stupid for this, and there was no way to spin or cover it up. I keep telling people this over and over again.. this is a new time we’re in, and those days where you do stupid sh** with no accountability is over. This Big Brother sh** works against PD too cause they’re being watched more than ever. Things go viral quickly. They already have a bad rep as it is, and need to take progressive steps to get better... I see where they’re trying to establish direct relationships with the community but... even the neighborhood gossip be wrong. They’ve got to figure out a way to get people to talk to them without a fear of retaliation. The Gardner family deserved every penny of the settlement, and a grip more.

Until then, guess what? The NYPD will remain sh**

There has got to be a complete reconfiguration of the NYPD...

Take those officers with a long history of trouble, racist, lazy officers, mentally ill officers etc off of the street.. make sure each officer is physically fit to chase after offenders
Opinion:
Your negative comments towards our wonderful police force makes one question your own history with them.
Worked Harlem since the 70's and feel sorry for the many good people I have befriended living among some of the worse
miscreants of society. Police Officers are far from stupid. One can not just apply for a job and get it. There is specific criteria
to be met. I'm sure you are acquainted with the requirements. You keep telling people this is a new time we are in as Police are being watched more than ever? I agree. Body cams are needed to protect many a police officer from lunatics. Video taped justifiable self defense is a necessity and will be a more common go to proof in this crazy disrespect a cop city. So criminals beware. You are being watched! Things go viral quickly? Agreed. Those punk hood rats dousing police officers with everything from water to bricks regardless of age will be apprehended and brought to justice. Cops having a bad rap? Maybe in your neighborhood. Not in a neighborhood that respects officers. When is the last time you stood next to a cop in a coffee shop and picked up his breakfast tab. I do. Guess what. We know each other either by name or sight and it makes us all feel good. Respect! That's what I call establishing direct relationship. Live and Learn. As far as the Gardner family deserving a settlement? It's an affront to confront any officer. He would still be alive if he didn't play the part of a wise guy.While Guiliani and Bloomberg ran this city crime was pretty darn low. Our current mayor allows for criminals to run amok. I'm still trying to figure why the Central Park 5 Gang Bangers walked away with $40 million dollars while the female victim got nothing. Thank you Billy Boy DeBlasio. You paved the way for cashing them out while our previous mayors were having none of it. Our tax dollars working harder than ever to lay a road paved in gold for those convicted /overturned/ not sure if they did but the victim is sure hoodwink felons. So you just go ahead and disrespect police officers in your neighborhood while I respect them in mine and we'll see in the end who ends up feeling and being kept safer from pieces of garbage roaming the streets in the long run while our dimwit mayor steers this sinking ship of a city ......nuff said.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 10-01-2019 at 07:56 PM..

Old 10-01-2019, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I’m in NC now and thankfully not contributing to that massive welfare system in NY. My heart goes out to you....
Opinion:
Just traveled through your beautiful pristine and classy city. Young 30's something tailored folks going off
respectfully to work. Reminds me of days long ago in New York. Not any more. Please make sure you attend
every city,civic and community board meeting and vote to keep public assistance for the very elderly and physically
disabled only. Criminal History and young and fit of working age are void............It is the only way to keep the city
from turning into a urinal..........

Old 10-01-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I don't understand why people are so convinced that the "Broken Windows" theory actually worked. How does ticketing people for drinking/smoking in the street and hopping turnstiles lead to less violent crime? How does ticketing for turnstile hopping prevent future rapists, arsonists, burglarists, drug dealers and murderers?

All Broken Windows theory does is catch the idiots who were already doing idiotic stuff to begin with. When they get jammed up its because they had priors. So Broken Windows does not prevent people from becoming new criminals. Smh.
Opinion:
It's used to keeps hard working folks who know the value of a dollar from going wayward if they
accidentally slip up. Yes. It is true. Good people can have their oops moment. Getting a ticket is
reset button back to assimilation as they soon realize they have to work extra hard to pay that rent
or electric bill. They'll think twice about jumping a turnstile. Forget about those living a life of ongoing
crime.They are a lost cause as you can not fix stupid. If there was an island for misfit toys they would
have already been put on the bus................nuff said.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:22 PM

34,035 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:
It's used to keeps hard working folks who know the value of a dollar from going wayward if they
accidentally slip up. Yes. It is true. Good people can have their oops moment. Getting a ticket is
reset button back to assimilation as they soon realize they have to work extra hard to pay that rent
or electric bill. They'll think twice about jumping a turnstile. Forget about those living a life of ongoing
crime.They are a lost cause as you can not fix stupid. If there was an island for misfit toys they would
have already been put on the bus................nuff said.
Huh? Broken Windows theory is directed towards hard working people who have oops moments? You make no sense man. How does directing that sort of attention towards "hard working people who have oops moments" stop the hardcore criminals? You make no sense man. None at all. Just stick to your "the mayor sucks" rhetoric, becuase that does not require much thought.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City