Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2007, 09:09 PM

41 posts, read 122,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY4eva View Post
I have missed NY ever since I stepped foot onto Wisconsin ground 4 years ago. I really shouldn't say that, though, because it's not entirely true. For the first year or so, I didn't mind living somewhere new. And, then it started sinking in how completely UNWELCOMED we are here. Yeah, my NY attitude and lingo come out FREQUENTLY here in Madison, but I cannot help that. It's who I am. If I cannot be myself in the place I live, then I don't want to live there.

I am pretty much in the same boat as you at the moment. Though, at least you CAN get a job in your chosen field. My hubby has a great job here, and he's doing so well that he's very afraid to give it up. He is NOT a New Yorker, but I am - born and bred, and the transition has been far more difficult than I could have imagined. On top of that, I am in education, and I have a masters, and well... it just seems that the districts in South Central Wisconsin do not want an out of state, over qualified teacher.

My friends are all in NY. I've had such a hard time finding "friends" here in WI... I have acquaintances but still no one to call a true friend. My sister & BIL live in NJ (upstate), my inlaws live in Eastern PA. My parents are in FL and my grandparents are in NC... But since most of my family is in the NY metro area, I would MUCH prefer to live there again. I really miss good pizza and cannolis!! Neither exist here in Madison.

I say go to where you will be happy if you can. And, if you figure out how to get your hubby to be more flexible for your wishes, please let me know... I am trying to figure out the same thing!!
I have been happy here for the first two years! Maybe, I just was excited about everything and getting new jobs, finding new stores, traveling around, and then "IT" started to creep back in. NY! I mistakenly told a person that "I'll always be a NY'er" . OOPs----I have come to the conclusion that I cannot be who I really am here. Now, I have learned, that if I change and become a North Carolianin then everything will be great! Why? Can't I be accepted for just a human being. Accepted or not for my own personality,
whether I am from NY or any other state. That's the way I treat others.

I have acquaintances also, but no true friends, like in NY.

I figure in three years my husband will even be making more money-----hmmm-he will really want to leave even more then! HA! We will have to brainstorm! He would never get the money in NY that he is getting here now. Of course, he just goes to work and comes home. No one at his work accepts the NY'er. He took away a job from a NC native. He does get depressed, goes and plays golf, and does meet people there who are very friendly, but they just don't "stick", if you know what I mean.

We will make it! I am going to light every candle in the Catholic church! Ha!
Take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 09:21 PM

41 posts, read 122,809 times
Default Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
I will always miss LI! But, never going back to live.

It was HARD moving from LI to a little town down south...totally true what the other poster said about that. It was like another language they spoke, and we couldn't figure out what the hell they ate! Nothing we recognized! They did/do everything....let's say "different". They have bumper stickers that say "I don't give a damn HOW you do it up north"....

Not down south anymore, but still miss the FOOD!! Really, outside of NY no one knows how to eat! And I miss real ethnic foods. I miss the attitudes, the sarcasim. I miss knowing what direction is what no matter where I am!
If you don't mind me asking, how do you like Utah?

Old 09-13-2007, 09:49 PM

10,181 posts, read 11,169,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nymunga View Post
What part of Virginia, and did you like it?
I lived in Manassas VA, hated it, hated it - never will go there, ever again!!!!

Old 09-15-2007, 10:11 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,879,166 times
Goodbye and good riddens Western NY! No more mounds of snow, weak economy and skeleton downtown districts (excluding Buffalo...nice downtown there). Do I miss it???? NO!

Old 09-15-2007, 03:02 PM

9 posts, read 21,512 times
Now and then I get a "little" homesick (living in Florida last 22 years). Then I start remembering cold, snowy winters, high taxes, high prices and it goes away.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:32 AM

491 posts, read 1,434,226 times
I grew up and lived in Chautauqua County up until 6 months ago, moved to Pittsburgh. Terrible decision, I would rather go back to the 90 minute commute to buffalo every day than live here. I love Western NY!!!

Old 09-17-2007, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Goodbye and good riddens Western NY! No more mounds of snow, weak economy and skeleton downtown districts (excluding Buffalo...nice downtown there). Do I miss it???? NO!
Buffalo is the ONLY skeleton downtown district, what are you talking about? The rest of the areas are small towns and there downtowns are doing great. If buffalo would pick up the slack, it would be doing great there.

Plus, the snow is great!

Old 09-17-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktaren View Post
Buffalo is the ONLY skeleton downtown district, what are you talking about? The rest of the areas are small towns and there downtowns are doing great. If buffalo would pick up the slack, it would be doing great there.

Plus, the snow is great!
When was the last time you were in Buffalo's downtown? Great sports, beautiful architecture and theatres. The train downtown runs where there are archades, theatres, restaurants, bars and museums. I can't think of another downtown in Western NY that has that nice of an area right in the city's center. They have small areas that are nice, but nothing like that.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
When was the last time you were in Buffalo's downtown? Great sports, beautiful architecture and theatres. The train downtown runs where there are archades, theatres, restaurants, bars and museums. I can't think of another downtown in Western NY that has that nice of an area right in the city's center. They have small areas that are nice, but nothing like that.
I worke downtown, lafayette square up until about 5 months ago. The area is doing better, but it is still the only skeleton i have seen in any of the downtowns in new york. but, you have to remember we are comparing apples to oranges here. Other than maybe Niagara Falls, which is pretty delapidated, the other towns are quite small compared to Buffalo. Yes, it has some restaurants and bars and museums, but it also has quite a few empty buildings and storefronts downtown. Heck, the building i worked in was 20 some floors and we were the only occupants, one company, not even an entire floor.

I love the area, but until buffalo starts leading the area to where we go, we will continue to be stuck in the rut. It is the hub of the area, and right now it isn't helping too much.

When I left at the beginning of summer, there was quite a bit being done, a few buildings here and there being fixed up, I hope it continues, and I hope someone, anyone, figures out what to do with the lake front. It is one of the best things the city has to offer and it is in ruins.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktaren View Post
I worke downtown, lafayette square up until about 5 months ago. The area is doing better, but it is still the only skeleton i have seen in any of the downtowns in new york. but, you have to remember we are comparing apples to oranges here. Other than maybe Niagara Falls, which is pretty delapidated, the other towns are quite small compared to Buffalo. Yes, it has some restaurants and bars and museums, but it also has quite a few empty buildings and storefronts downtown. Heck, the building i worked in was 20 some floors and we were the only occupants, one company, not even an entire floor.

I love the area, but until buffalo starts leading the area to where we go, we will continue to be stuck in the rut. It is the hub of the area, and right now it isn't helping too much.

When I left at the beginning of summer, there was quite a bit being done, a few buildings here and there being fixed up, I hope it continues, and I hope someone, anyone, figures out what to do with the lake front. It is one of the best things the city has to offer and it is in ruins.
I agree with you on this. Although Buffalo doesn't have that much more (maybe 70k in the city) of a population than Rochester these days, it was much much larger back in the day. The city is in need of strengthening its economy. I really think it will too. It's such an amazing area with great architecture, and Niagara Falls right around the corner.

I guess everyone's opinion of a skeleton downtown is different. I felt that some of the other Upstate NY cities didn't really have much going on. Don't get me wrong, they have museums, places to eat and some nightlife. They just don't have the hustle and bustle that other cities have. They're also not largely walkable cities. Yes, you can walk if you want, but they don't have blocks and blocks fo things to do and places to see. Again, I know some people will argue this with me, so I just want to say this is my opinion based on other places I've lived and visited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York