Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 04:55 AM

67 posts, read 143,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
How is it ridiculous? You've lost your job, you have no unemployment because you were a contractor, your savings lasts you about 6 months to pay rent & utilities....by then you haven't found a new job, and you've applied everywhere you can think of (including minimum wage jobs), and now your emergency credit card is almost maxed out - now what do you do?

You think this doesn't happen to people?
I know people who fit this description. Many bills that drove them to this state were medical ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 05:51 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,680,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
How is it ridiculous? You've lost your job, you have no unemployment because you were a contractor, your savings lasts you about 6 months to pay rent & utilities....by then you haven't found a new job, and you've applied everywhere you can think of (including minimum wage jobs), and now your emergency credit card is almost maxed out - now what do you do?

You think this doesn't happen to people?
I would sell $5.00 handjobs on craig's list before I would accept charity from anyone, be it a parent or the government. Some of us do not take charity, ever.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I would sell $5.00 handjobs on craig's list before I would accept charity from anyone, be it a parent or the government. Some of us do not take charity, ever.
Just 5 dollars. That's quite cheap.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:03 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,197,348 times
This story was just revived again this morning October 14, 2010 - you are not alone. Even my own brother, at the age of 30, temporarily moved back home to save money for a house instead of tossing it away on an apartment even though he paid my mother rent and utilities it was substantially less than the apartment. (My own house payment and utilties are less than my last apartment). His job kept him away and out of the house anyway. He got promoted, moved out of state and could afford to purchase a decent place then.

Here are two scenerios on the issue:

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Getting a degree used to be a stepping stone to limitless career opportunities. Now it's more of a hiatus from living under your parents' roof.

"This recession has hit young adults particularly hard," according to Rich Morin, senior editor at the Pew Research Center in DC.

So hard that a whopping 85% of college seniors planned to move back home with their parents after graduation last May, according to a poll by Twentysomething Inc., a marketing and research firm based in Philadelphia. That rate has steadily risen from 67% in 2006.

Boomerang kids: 85% of college graduates must move back home - Oct. 14, 2010

Jeffrey Root was running out of money working a fast-food job when he decided to seek a last-resort remedy to his financial woes: He quit the job and moved into his parents' basement with his wife.

Root, a 26-year-old from Springville, Utah, says that was one of the best decisions he could have made. He sees his story as proof the economic crisis has an upside: It can help people ratchet down on needless spending and focus attention on things money can't buy.

The upside of moving back into your parents' basement - CNN

Old 10-14-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deranged Pharisee View Post
Just 5 dollars. That's quite cheap.
Thus is my point about personal pride when it comes to paying my own way.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Thus is my point about personal pride when it comes to paying my own way.
Gotcha but hypothetically speaking that borders on prostitution. Are you advocating prostitution just to escape going back to seek support from loved ones? How can pride push anyone into that kind of job. We all thought the prostitutes do that for they do not have any self pride. And that is the feminist point of view too. Just does not cut it. Again I'm not criticizing you or anything I am just surprised you would choose what you described.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:34 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,745,758 times
I had to work at KFC for a short period of time when I was young. When I left home I vowed I would never return and I kept my vow. Sure it was hard and a bit miserable at times, but I wanted to live my own life, my way.

My brothers and sisters who were all younger than me would move back home when they came back from there extended overseas trips and move back home between flats etc. My parents loved having them around. But it created unhealthy dynamics that linger to this day.

I would allow my kids to move back home under the strictest of conditions, but I have instilled in both of them the drive to be independent.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deranged Pharisee View Post
Gotcha but hypothetically speaking that borders on prostitution. Are you advocating prostitution just to escape going back to seek support from loved ones? How can pride push anyone into that kind of job. We all thought the prostitutes do that for they do not have any self pride. And that is the feminist point of view too. Just does not cut it. Again I'm not criticizing you or anything I am just surprised you would choose what you described.
I am not advocating anything, can't speak to what other people should do. I can only say that I personally would be a prostitute before I would accept a handout. I don't take charity. Fortunately for me the chance of this ever happening is between slim and none because I can sell - there is always a sales job available since those jobs not for everyone. But make no mistake, in my mind welfare of any kind is far more disgraceful than prostitution.

(PS I am not a feminist so I really don't have anything to say about the feminist point of view.)

Old 10-14-2010, 09:38 AM

Thank you thursday007. Many of us have huge school debts. And the job situation is not all bright. I would not look down on anyone who moves back with parents because as Paul McCartney sings, "and any time you feel the pain hey Jude refrain don't carry the world upon your shoulders"

But this forum has some of the most stuck up people who have made it their motto to despise people who make such decisions owing to their personal hardships. It is always easy to take an indifferent stand when you are not in the other one's situation. Not all of us live in hobbit land surrounded by lords of the rings human beings can be bad. Only the person shoveling the snow knows it's horrors. From inside your windows the icicles look very pretty. That's life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
This story was just revived again this morning October 14, 2010 - you are not alone. Even my own brother, at the age of 30, temporarily moved back home to save money for a house instead of tossing it away on an apartment even though he paid my mother rent and utilities it was substantially less than the apartment. (My own house payment and utilties are less than my last apartment). His job kept him away and out of the house anyway. He got promoted, moved out of state and could afford to purchase a decent place then.

Here are two scenerios on the issue:

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Getting a degree used to be a stepping stone to limitless career opportunities. Now it's more of a hiatus from living under your parents' roof.

"This recession has hit young adults particularly hard," according to Rich Morin, senior editor at the Pew Research Center in DC.

So hard that a whopping 85% of college seniors planned to move back home with their parents after graduation last May, according to a poll by Twentysomething Inc., a marketing and research firm based in Philadelphia. That rate has steadily risen from 67% in 2006.

Boomerang kids: 85% of college graduates must move back home - Oct. 14, 2010

Jeffrey Root was running out of money working a fast-food job when he decided to seek a last-resort remedy to his financial woes: He quit the job and moved into his parents' basement with his wife.

Root, a 26-year-old from Springville, Utah, says that was one of the best decisions he could have made. He sees his story as proof the economic crisis has an upside: It can help people ratchet down on needless spending and focus attention on things money can't buy.

The upside of moving back into your parents' basement - CNN

Old 10-14-2010, 09:39 AM

67 posts, read 165,449 times
You know, in other cultures, people live with their families their whole lives. It wasn't until the 20th century that people started moving away from their families. Most of the soldiers during the Civil War, 17-20, had never left home before going off to war. Centuries ago the whole family (grandparents, parents, and children) would share the SAME BED. Why is it so shameful to still be living with your parents? My grandparents lived above their parents garage for years before they could afford their own house. I'm not talking about "leeches" I'm talking about people who are working and saving to be able to afford their own house. I'm 20 and still living with my parents. I have a learning disability that affects me getting above a part time job right now, it also effects my visual/spacial abilities so its taken me longer to get a drivers license. After I can drive and go to a school and AFFORD to move out I will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships