Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 03:38 AM

67 posts, read 143,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Oh please. There would have to be very extenuating circumstances to make an adult go back home, for example staying at your parents place after living overseas, or becoming very ill and unable to take care of yourself.

I see people going back home to 'save money', which is a pitiful excuse. Do they not think their parents like having the house to themselves after countless years of raising kids?

What we're seeing is a new generation of useless people unable to stand on their own two feet.
Nobody asked you for a useless people discourse. You are avoiding my question. Let's say your assets are totally liquidated and after filing for bankruptcy, you're literally penniless even for the next meal. Would you rather be looking up with your parents or go beg in the highway ramp?

Now don't speak about how perfect and organized your life is that you will never face such a situation yada yada yada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 04:14 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,956 times
Growing up I'd always thought NO WAY. However, I moved my mentally disabled Mom in with me and my 20 year old recently moved back. As long as everyone involved has their own space and realizes life is a collaborative effort????? It is fine. Pull your own weight and if your ego is feeling bruised for any reason don't subconsciously place blame/anger on your parents.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:14 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,057,999 times
Quote:
Oh please. There would have to be very extenuating circumstances to make an adult go back home, for example staying at your parents place after living overseas, or becoming very ill and unable to take care of yourself.

I see people going back home to 'save money', which is a pitiful excuse. Do they not think their parents like having the house to themselves after countless years of raising kids?

What we're seeing is a new generation of useless people unable to stand on their own two feet.
Family is a support system. I have let family members stay with me for extended periods of time. It doesn't bother me, and it does not bother other member of my family either. We help each other.

Just because you don't agree with it, there are many other people in the world, and in the US who rely on their family.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:19 PM

3 posts, read 4,951 times
Im movin out in december,I turned 18 in August and once I move out I can not see myself back here..why? Because Ive put my moms through a lot over the years with commiting crimes,causin mayhem,etc. I would feel guilty doin that though I havent did any of those things last 2 years or so Ive turned around,but still

Old 10-13-2010, 05:21 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,745,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deranged Pharisee View Post
Nobody asked you for a useless people discourse. You are avoiding my question. Let's say your assets are totally liquidated and after filing for bankruptcy, you're literally penniless even for the next meal. Would you rather be looking up with your parents or go beg in the highway ramp?

Now don't speak about how perfect and organized your life is that you will never face such a situation yada yada yada.

As I stated, extenuating circumstances are different from simply deciding to move back home to mooch off Mum and Dad.

When we grow up and become adults we take care of ourselves. Maybe when you grow up you'll understand that concept

Old 10-13-2010, 05:31 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Quote:
As I stated, extenuating circumstances are different from simply deciding to move back home to mooch off Mum and Dad.

When we grow up and become adults we take care of ourselves. Maybe when you grow up you'll understand that concept
Its a sad reality, but more and more "kids" are doing it. I don't personally condone it. I think you should do your best to live on your own, they're are a few exceptions, obviously, but, just to save money, doesn't really cut it, IMHO.

Boomerang Generation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-13-2010, 05:38 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,146,668 times
I had to move back home, although I am only 27. I haven't had steady work in a year and a half now, and not moving back would mean being homeless & not eating. I don't see it as "mooching" because when I get income, then I contribute, and I plan on leaving ASAP. It's just a matter of obtaining steady work & finding an affordable apartment. My parents are the ones who told me to move back, even before I totally ran out of money.

So no, I don't judge people who move back home because circumstances make all the difference. If it's becoming more common, I see that as a sign that it's harder to make a living now, not that people are lazier.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:55 PM

67 posts, read 143,747 times
Quote:

I shall grow up and understand the concept thank you very much. But you're all grown and stuck up by brushing an entire group of people as useless, coz for whatever reason given the economic conditions they decide to lean on their parents, unlike you. You must be so blessed you should even be dropping gold nuggets when you poop. Damn us useless people.

All talk yet successful deflection from the question asked.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:14 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,680,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
Long story short, I am considering moving in with my family after vowing to never go back at 18.

There are quite a few positives about this possible move. I would save a lot of money, and have no lease. However, a few big negatives as well.

I suppose many in American culture look down on a grown man living with his family.
So long as you aren't trying to date.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:16 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,680,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deranged Pharisee View Post
Even if situation drives you to beg on the highway ramp with a sign card?
Personally I cannot imagine a situation so dire I would have to choose between moving in with my mother or begging on the side of the highway. That's a pretty ridiculous comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships