Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 07:54 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,559,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Hmmm lemme get a crack at this answer:

The people that don't like babies or kids are:

A. A big kid themselves.
B. selfish
C .Rude
D. Don't realize that not all kids turned out like some of the brats you see.
E. Like animals because they don't talk back.
F. When the pets die not a big deal.
Wow...so many assumptions and way off base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 08:00 PM

773 posts, read 1,260,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think that taking care of a baby and a puppy actually have a ton of similarities. No sleep, lots of bad sounds and smells, fleeting moments of smiles and cuddles, getting slobbered on, constant supervision...

Difference is that when I get up every couple of hours to change the baby's diaper, I don't also have to put on a coat and boots and stand outside in the snow.
Sorry, but C-D won't let me "rep" you again. But consider it done!

You make a really good point. I had a housemate who had an indoor dog, and I can attest that our home was a filth pen of the first degree. And it stank to high heaven. Never. Again.

I have a cat, not a dog, because of all of the above. I frankly don't want to go to all of that effort, and if I'm going to, I'd almost rather it be for a human child.

Amazingly, many people who are childfree really seem to adore the experience of taking care of a dog(s), and this has always mystified me.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:21 PM

663 posts, read 1,082,182 times
I love and like my own children (2 of the 3 are now adults), but not wild at all about other kids or babies. I don't know why, just must be my personality. My maternal grandmother was the same way, she and I are very similar in personality. At a minimum, I do prefer things to be relatively quiet and most kids are generally anything but quiet.

I have dogs and they are treated as though they were human members of the family, and by all of us. They are some amount of work but not nearly as much work as a human child. I will mourn my dogs' eventual deaths greatly so I can't see myself thinking it's not a big deal when they die.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:30 PM

663 posts, read 1,082,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Hmmm lemme get a crack at this answer:

A. A big kid themselves.
B. selfish
C .Rude
I don't know about this.....I've known people who don't like kids and don't fit this description at all. They are usually smart enough to not reproduce or date/marry someone who has or wants kids. Just because someone doesn't like kids, it does't make them what you've described. One example is one of my aunts. Doesn't care for kids and chose to not have any. I don't believe this makes her selfish at all. She knows herself and did what's right for her. She is the furthest thing from rude, one of the nicest people I know.

Why is someone selfish for not liking kids?

Old 03-05-2012, 08:33 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,689,690 times
because you have to raise a kid for 18 years, a dog may die before that. and if u dont feel like keeping that dog anymore you can pretty much drop him off anywhere and be free of it, and animals arent as complex and needy as a human being?

Old 03-05-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePugx3 View Post
I love and like my own children (2 of the 3 are now adults), but not wild at all about other kids or babies.
My mother's side of the family is completely wacked. They all go crazy over babies and toddlers. However, as soon as the child outgrows the "cute" phase (read: begins to reason, communicate and form an identity), they're considered a PITA and are disregarded.

And most of the "elders" who used to drool over my baby cousins have nothing but horrid things to say about them now that they're adults. And heaven forbid someone doesn't have a "cute little baby" to bring to family get togethers. That person is dead to them.

I wish I were kidding.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:00 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
Sorry, but C-D won't let me "rep" you again. But consider it done!

You make a really good point. I had a housemate who had an indoor dog, and I can attest that our home was a filth pen of the first degree. And it stank to high heaven. Never. Again.

I have a cat, not a dog, because of all of the above. I frankly don't want to go to all of that effort, and if I'm going to, I'd almost rather it be for a human child.

Amazingly, many people who are childfree really seem to adore the experience of taking care of a dog(s), and this has always mystified me.

LOL! *hugs* back atcha.

I actually have 4 dogs. And one baby son. And I worship them all.

Here is the catch. If you are going to take extremely good care of EITHER of these little ones, it's gonna take a lot of time and effort. And in our case...a lot of money.
No filth pen or stinking heaven here. Not from diapers or dog doo.
We keep our dogs clean. We keep our kid's filth out of the house (no throwing away diapers indoors). We keep everyone's beds washed. We have a vacuum and we know how to use it. We have a weekly cleaning service. We have a dog groomer on speed dial. We have a Furminator. We have clorox wipes in every bathroom (and the kitchen). We are constantly doing laundry.

Op, I don't really (and never really) have found babies cute. Some of them are. But most of them are funny looking. We got super lucky. Puppies on the other hand...

Also, this may be weird, but when I look at a baby or a child, I sometimes can imagine them all grown up...and imagine the likelihood that they will become members of the group comprising the vast majority of people on this planet who are selfish, worthless aholes.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Also, this may be weird, but when I look at a baby or a child, I sometimes can imagine them all grown up...and imagine the likelihood that they will become members of the group comprising the vast majority of people on this planet who are selfish, worthless aholes.
Possibly you've seen some of the babies I saw who actually DID turn into selfish, worthless a-holes.

I'm talking about my own family members, of course ...

Old 03-05-2012, 09:09 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,391,849 times
Quote:

A. A big kid themselves.
B. selfish
C .Rude
Hands down, the most spectacularly inaccurate post ever on this Forum. And the competition for that "prize" is fierce indeed.

Anyone who would think "when pets die it's not a big deal" is beyond saving.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:09 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,076,177 times
Quote:
LOL! *hugs* back atcha.

I actually have 4 dogs. And one baby son. And I worship them all.

Here is the catch. If you are going to take extremely good care of EITHER of these little ones, it's gonna take a lot of time and effort. And in our case...a lot of money.
No filth pen or stinking heaven here. Not from diapers or dog doo.
We keep our dogs clean. We keep our kid's filth out of the house (no throwing away diapers indoors). We keep everyone's beds washed. We have a vacuum and we know how to use it. We have a weekly cleaning service. We have a dog groomer on speed dial. We have a Furminator. We have clorox wipes in every bathroom (and the kitchen). We are constantly doing laundry.

We've got the opposite, 4 kids 1 dog and I can honestly say, one dog is enough for me. I don't know how you do it!

I was amazed at the amount of additional effort it took to keep this house clean since getting the dog.

My kids have been BEGGING for another doggie so he can have a friend...and I'm dead set against it! I know my limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships