Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2014, 11:54 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
All the flossing and brushing DOES help. I doubt a high percentage of people in this day and age have bad teeth due to genetics. BTW a commercial isn't going to zoom in on a kids mouth and show you that their gums are inflamed or that they have cavities. And usually children lose their teeth and new ones come in, so they aren't as "old" as an adults teeth are.

IDK where you are from, but the ones here are constantly begging for people to come in and be treated- all 100% for free. The only thing you spend is time.

My friend just passed all her dental hygiene exams, and she did me, my husband, and my brother last year, took a few weeks of appointments (2-4 for each of us), but we all got deep cleanings and even my brother received those "injections" of antibiotics that they put in your gumline to help your gums. I don't know what they are called. Again all free of charge. I see students posting on Craigslist all the time asking people to come in, some students even paying people up to $200 to get someone to take to their state exams.
Really? Why would that be? Genetics are genetics... "this day and age" isn't going to change genetics.

I am in NY.... the dental schools by me have a huge waiting list and, once they finally call you, you can't just go in and say "I have a pain in this tooth and would like it fixed". No. They are going to do a checkup and xrays. After that, they will do a procedure on you ONLY if that is what's being covered that particular semester by that particular group of students. There is also a cost involved, nothing is "free" --- you'll be paying a reduced cost for whatever work is done. You may get lucky and get a payment plan, but nothing is free.

IDK where YOU are but I would love to know!!! If I could go to a dental school and get my $15K of dental work done for free, I'd live there in a tent for a few weeks to get it done! OH!!! And they even PAY YOU $200 just for coming in?!??! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! Please tell me where this is located and what school and I'll be on my way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 04:31 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Was it painful and/or weird while you had to walk around with that metal in your mouth?
No, not at all. I was completely unaware of it. The post, which is the implant itself, does not stick up or out. It is effectively the artificial root of the new tooth. It is no more painful or weird than the roots of your existing teeth.

The missing tooth is still just a missing tooth there. The implant does not extend above the gum line, so it's impossible to know it's even there. It can be neither seen nor felt. The final step is the attachment of the tooth to the implant; both of mine were screwed on, as the post is threaded on the inside and a tiny screw is part of the new artificial tooth, right in the center (aligned vertically). After tightening using a tiny torque wrench, some kind of patch is put over the screw head, I guess like a shallow filling. In order to access the implant to attach the tooth, you are first numbed (like for any dental procedure) and then a very small incision is made in the gum (not in the side of the gum but on "top") to expose the implant, which is just barely under the surface of the gum.

Who has been feeding you those weird notions? Or do you just have an over-active imagination?

Old 01-03-2014, 08:26 PM

659 posts, read 940,658 times
I had misaligned teeth then I wore braces for two years to straightened them.

The orthondotists I've had refused to tell me that when I took off my braces and started wearing retainers, that I'm supposed to wear retainers every day for the rest of my life, usually at night.

I wore my retainers for months and then stopped wearing them as I thought you were only supposed to wear them temporarily and the braces was a permanent alignment fix. With my moving, I misplaced the box that held my retainers last year (I tend to misplace my retainers a lot..and then I find them...and then lose them again LOL), so I didn't wear them.

My teeth went back to its original alignment but more "straight" instead of everywhere like it was before braces. I have a gap in my front teeth, and my bottom front four are so squished together one got pushed alittle forward than the others. No big deal. The rest of my teeth are just fine and straight. You only see the difference in my front four teeth.

My teeth are also stained off white because when the orthodontists (been to more than one dental office) took off my braces, they DID NOT clean off the brace's glue/concrete/forgot what it's called but it keeps the braces in place... well they didn't take it off all the way.

As a result, you can see my regular teeth that's white and clean and then my stained brace glue that's pale yellow/off white. I can't tell you how many times I've been to dentists to clean them, or how many times I used whiteners... no results. My teeth whitens just fine but that enamel brace glue thing remains stained.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:31 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,558,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I love that Guy and yea, his 'BAD' teeth really always play into his character..
obviously he is someone who could easily afford to get his teeth fixed but that might just cost him some acting roles! ?
Okay I have to step in...I read an interview with him and he said he has deliberately NOT had his teeth fixed because it is part of his particular "brand"...that look is what helps get him the roles he gets.

Enough already about teeth...I would LOVE to have the money to get cosmetic dental work done...perhaps I should appeal on a "gofundme" site?

Old 01-07-2014, 07:03 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Really? Why would that be? Genetics are genetics... "this day and age" isn't going to change genetics.

I am in NY.... the dental schools by me have a huge waiting list and, once they finally call you, you can't just go in and say "I have a pain in this tooth and would like it fixed". No. They are going to do a checkup and xrays. After that, they will do a procedure on you ONLY if that is what's being covered that particular semester by that particular group of students. There is also a cost involved, nothing is "free" --- you'll be paying a reduced cost for whatever work is done. You may get lucky and get a payment plan, but nothing is free.

IDK where YOU are but I would love to know!!! If I could go to a dental school and get my $15K of dental work done for free, I'd live there in a tent for a few weeks to get it done! OH!!! And they even PAY YOU $200 just for coming in?!??! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! Please tell me where this is located and what school and I'll be on my way!

Crickets.... Just as I suspected.....

Old 01-07-2014, 08:03 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
I believe it's mainly due to the financial aspect: It's expensive- even when you have dental insurance!

Not to mention, most docs in the dental profession DON'T guarantee any of the work they do...It's risky to put out the dough.

If something they fixed goes wrong, the blame is usually placed on the patient/something the patient did to mess the doc's handywork up. They 95% of the time will charge to re-fix it.

Also, I agree with the others who have stated that a lot of times people consider their smile/teeth as their 'character'-- or what sets them apart from all of the fluorescent/blinding fake looking smiles seen today.

A note to the stinky breath among us: get a cleaning, and pay to fix any decay! People don't so much care about crooked-- as much as they care about smell!!!!!!

Old 01-07-2014, 09:43 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,991,787 times
It took me several thousand dollars to fix my teeth after a car accident, and sometimes people can't do it until they hit 30 because the mouth usually stops completely growing at that age.

The more you know...

Old 01-07-2014, 08:07 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post

Unless you were born with crappy teeth coming out of your gums when you were a year old genetics is a minor issue for teeth. Never met anyone who had bad teeth "due to genetics." At worst bad genetics means you needed braces growing up to correct spacing/teeth orientation issues. Possibly to have a tooth or two pulled as well to correct your mouth. My husband had major work done because his parents didn't get him braces, he didn't take care of his teeth, etc. Not once was the word "genetic" uttered by the dentist.

I live in San Diego. I didn't pay a penny, neither did any of my family, we probably got between us over $2,000 of work and supplies (numbing injections, antibiotics, and so on) for absolutely free- I didn't pay one penny for anything. A deep cleaning can easily cost $300+ at the dentist. I'm sure they do other things for free, I don't know what your particular problem is, but if you can't afford it, getting it done for free, even if it takes months, is better than losing your teeth.

AND I said pay you $200 to go with the students to take the exam. THE STATE BOARD EXAM. Not every time you come in. The state board exam for a dental hygienist takes a full day.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:36 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
...Never met anyone who had bad teeth "due to genetics." At worst bad genetics means you needed braces growing up to correct spacing/teeth orientation issues. Possibly to have a tooth or two pulled as well to correct your mouth...
Bzzt.

Hypodontia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

About 5% of the population have some permanent teeth (beyond the wisdom teeth) that never developed. Granted, that's not a huge %age, and most of them probably don't go around bragging about it - showing off their implants or gaps. But to conclude that the problem doesn't exist just because you haven't personally observed it???

And, as an earlier poster noted, implants for such people usually have to wait until the jaw stops growing, which can be into the mid-20s for males.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
most dont live near mexico and are unwilling to make their dentist rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships