Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2014, 03:06 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
Just because they have time to save, doesn't mean it fair to expect travel and gifts.
Don't always assume gifts are required or expected at all weddings. My wife didn't want people to give us any gifts at our wedding and I certainly agreed with this. And people respected/followed our wishes.

Our philosophy was our guests were invited because we wanted them there, not to fork over anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 03:10 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal1 View Post
Honeymoons are destinations for most people, not weddings
I live 1000 miles from my parents. My other family is scattered across the country. One day, when I get married, every. single. member. of my family and many of my close friends will need to travel to me. Even if I got married in my hometown, that would only help a handful of friends and my parents. That's life in the 21st century where people don't stay in the same state, much less same town. The OP already said that both of their families are scattered.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm really surprised at all of the people harping on the destination wedding piece. Aren't most weddings "destinations" for most people?.
No, they're not. The majority of weddings I've attended were in town or a half days drive away. Driving is one thing. Flying is another. Plus Disney world is an expensive place to stay.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
No, they're not. The majority of weddings I've attended were in town or a half days drive away. Driving is one thing. Flying is another. Plus Disney world is an expensive place to stay.

Yes - in the town where the bride and groom live. For most guests, that means they will need to travel. The OP said that her family is scattered - many of them would need to get on a plane anyway. Why does it matter where the destination is if most of the guests are already traveling?

Staying at Disney is expensive, but you can get a hotel in Orlando for dirt cheap. When it comes time for me to get married, most of my guests will be out a lot more money here in the Boston area even at the cheapest. I'm the only family member on my brother's side to be able to drive to his wedding - the rest of the family, half of her family, and my brother's friends will have high hotel and flight costs going to Maine at the peak of tourist season.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:17 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Your friends and family have stayed very close to each other then. Thats very convenient and great. That's not reality for many people.

Orlando has some of the cheapest airfares in the US. Many places are driving distance to Orlando.

Orlando has some of the cheapest hotels in the nation. You don't have to stay at a Disney hotel. I could stay there a week and pay less than 400$ for a room in a fairly nice place. Don't believe me, look it up. Travel lodge has rates of 38$ a night and La Quinta is 49$ a night.you can also camp there. That's what we did when we visited DW as a child.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:20 PM

698 posts, read 798,174 times
Quote:
I live 1000 miles from my parents. My other family is scattered across the country. One day, when I get married, every. single. member. of my family and many of my close friends will need to travel to me. Even if I got married in my hometown, that would only help a handful of friends and my parents. That's life in the 21st century where people don't stay in the same state, much less same town. The OP already said that both of their families are scattered.
ok. And I already addressed this circumstance in another post no problem.
Relating to the OP, this is just one sliver of the issues which presented itself in her post. Orlando has an excellent Hostel nearby, so the OP could plan to pay for every guest but since she doesn't have a job, that won't work

Old 11-05-2014, 03:23 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
Quote:
That's entirely different from asking people who wouldn't otherwise have to, to go to a "destination". That can't be helped. I realize the OP said much of her family is scattered, but I'm just talking about the concept of destination weddings in general. I'm among those that think the OP's tale is a little bit off.

2,294 posts, read 2,780,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Don't always assume gifts are required or expected at all weddings. My wife didn't want people to give us any gifts at our wedding and I certainly agreed with this. And people respected/followed our wishes.

Our philosophy was our guests were invited because we wanted them there, not to fork over anything.
I don't disagree, my post was directed towards the person who indicated that because the wedding was a year out, it was fair to expect a decent gift even though they have to travel. I was simply saying that it doesn't matter how far out, you still can't "expect" people to travel and give you the same size gift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal1 View Post
ok. And I already addressed this circumstance in another post no problem.
Relating to the OP, this is just one sliver of the issues which presented itself in her post. Orlando has an excellent Hostel nearby, so the OP could plan to pay for every guest but since she doesn't have a job, that won't work
Oh, I don't disagree with you there in the least! Her wedding would be hell on wheels even if it was down the street in Tennessee.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:25 PM

698 posts, read 798,174 times
Quote:
Oh, I don't disagree with you there in the least! Her wedding would be hell on wheels even if it was down the street in Tennessee.
Aint that the truth! We could all contribute $$ to poster Steve here to go be a fly on the wall and report back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships