Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2022, 12:37 PM

1,847 posts, read 834,132 times

Advertisements

Three of the four next door neighbors are more then just hello terms (typically a short conversation each time) the four one is simply hi or hey. Of the 120ish properties I'll only say hi or how's it going to maybe 10 people other then the ones above. Use to say hi or wave to everyone, but can't be bothered anymore.
Use to walk or cycle at the park near by and would always wave or say hi or both but the number of people ignoring me got so bad that I gave up on trying. Strangely more people in my neighborhood say hi, wave or smile to me on my bike vs walking compared to the park paths were its the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2022, 01:19 PM

3,508 posts, read 767,005 times
i have not spoken to my neighbor on the left because of a mean dog he got .. i wish my neighbor on the right would get one ..

Old 09-23-2022, 12:46 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,156,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Old thread but we wave to all of our neighbors and vice versa
We do the same. I say hello, get hello back. I wave, get waived back. Driving past each other on the block we wave or do a nod. On trails, the same.

Old 10-16-2022, 05:52 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,146,064 times
We love our neighbors and doing things for each other all the time. Two of our favorite neighbors have past away so we make an effort to get to know the knew one. And when the weather (snow) gets bad we all make a point to check on each other.
But unfortunately there is one neighbor that moved in next door a few years ago that has made it a point be mean to some and standoffish. But out here in the country that's never a good choice, but it's their's to make.

Old 10-16-2022, 07:11 AM

1,872 posts, read 846,051 times
Im the one that doesnt speak to neighbor, Its nothing against them, I just like to work in my shop alone without any chit chat. Not being mean, just like being alone

Old 10-16-2022, 07:53 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,893,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
We love our neighbors and doing things for each other all the time. Two of our favorite neighbors have past away so we make an effort to get to know the knew one. And when the weather (snow) gets bad we all make a point to check on each other.
But unfortunately there is one neighbor that moved in next door a few years ago that has made it a point be mean to some and standoffish. But out here in the country that's never a good choice, but it's their's to make.
That's really nice, you are fortunate. I saw on another thread how badly your family has treated you, so it's a real blessing to have wonderful neighbors.

40 years ago my ex husband an I almost decided to move to Minnesota because we read that Minnesotans are extremely neighborly, with welcoming attitudes, bringing welcoming food over and such. Then we realized we could buy the same house for the same money by staying in Southern California. (Not true anymore!!)

Another time we considered Huntsville, Alabama (where ironically I now live) due to his aerospace career. Sometimes I wonder if it would have been better to move to MN or AL. It would have been easier to create a friendship/neighbor group. Problem is, re MN, I really hate snow and don't think I could hack the long winters due to growing up in Southern California. I think people who live in really inclement climates are much more neighborly than in good weather areas. Again, that's a real blessing.

Old 10-16-2022, 09:30 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,146,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
That's really nice, you are fortunate. I saw on another thread how badly your family has treated you, so it's a real blessing to have wonderful neighbors.

40 years ago my ex husband an I almost decided to move to Minnesota because we read that Minnesotans are extremely neighborly, with welcoming attitudes, bringing welcoming food over and such. Then we realized we could buy the same house for the same money by staying in Southern California. (Not true anymore!!)

Another time we considered Huntsville, Alabama (where ironically I now live) due to his aerospace career. Sometimes I wonder if it would have been better to move to MN or AL. It would have been easier to create a friendship/neighbor group. Problem is, re MN, I really hate snow and don't think I could hack the long winters due to growing up in Southern California. I think people who live in really inclement climates are much more neighborly than in good weather areas. Again, that's a real blessing.
Huntsville == Rocket City USA. Two thumbs up

Old 10-16-2022, 10:24 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,893,394 times
Yes, it is a really nice little city. I think some people are able to connect with their neighbors, but modern life is so infra, people are rarely outside their homes unless they have children playing, walking a dog or doing yard work. I think even in Huntsville or Minnesota it would be more difficult now to connect with neighbors because of the way modern life is.

Old 10-17-2022, 11:33 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,050,754 times
My wife drives in the garage and quickly closes it before she gets out the car so she doesn't have to wave or say hi to our neighbors which may lead into a short conversation with them. She says she is too tired to entertain chit chat after a long day at work (during the week)...lol

Last edited by Remington Steel; 10-17-2022 at 12:03 PM..

Old 10-17-2022, 11:53 AM

739 posts, read 412,349 times
I live in Massachusetts. I wave and that's it. While in the military, ie my younger days we invited people over, but it simply did not work for us. Over the years we became private people. We have family over and that's it. Bottom line, my mind is set on, go be nosy somewhere else!

Last edited by H8t3rs; 10-17-2022 at 12:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships