Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2018, 01:39 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
Maybe the manager was a dumbass too and couldn't figure out how to make change. Even a calculator requires the user to input numbers correctly, and if they have the IQ of a grape, a calculator won't help.

Even when the computer is working fine, it still requires the user to input numbers correctly. A couple times, I've handed the clerk a $10 bill and 17 cents when the total is $6.17, and the person enters 10017. One time the cashier actually started counting out $94, and suddenly her brain turned on and she realized that pulling out all those $20's somehow doesn't make since when I only gave her a $10 bill! Then they have to figure out what the change should be. I'll give them a few seconds and then say "four dollars".

I know being a cashier is not a skilled labor job (I've been a cashier), but if your mathematical abilities are so low that you can't figure out how to make change, then you're in the wrong line of work. Stock the shelves or something like that.

I've done that. My 'fluffy fingers' hit one to many zeros and I put in $1,000 instead of $100. I circled and initialed that so anyone would know that I noticed and it was noted by me.

Being a cashier isn't really unskilled labor. If you've been a cashier then you know that you need SOME basic skills including logic and common sense, but there's a lot to the job that requires you to THINK. It may be minor things but you are problem solving all day long. If you are fast and efficient you are thinking ahead and being organized. You often have to multi task and not lose track of anything! lol These are definitely "skills" and, I'll agree, not everyone has them. I train cashiers in my store and many of my trainees DO have some good skills to start out with and I try to enhance them. I really enjoy being a trainer and wish I could do it full time. Oh, and one of the skills I am really heavy on is bagging. I'm so anal perfectionist I've got it down and it's one of the favorite parts of my job. People laugh when I say that but to me it's fun making it all 'fit', minimal bags, but don't overload, etc.. Great fun. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 01:43 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Being a cashier isn't really unskilled labor. If you've been a cashier then you know that you need SOME basic skills including logic and common sense, but there's a lot to the job that requires you to THINK. It may be minor things but you are problem solving all day long. . lol
This is true. As I said before, I've worked in stores where some employees could not run a cash register to save their life. When they tried, the drawer came out way under or way over the amount it should have been, and it would take hours to sort out the mess. It's not an unskilled job and it's actually a quite important one since they are handling money. I worked with a guy in a master's degree program who screwed up the cash register every day, until they fired him.

Old 01-09-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
^ I also don't understand the smug back patting and the apparent need to recite these stories about "that time I confused the cashier at the grocery". Believe me, they just want to get you through the line and out the door. It is a contest to be won only in the mind of a certain kind of customer.

I don't either but I've dealt with customers like that my whole life and I, pretty much, just yawn and blow it off.

My customers tell me they come through my register because I'm fast and will get them out of there. I tell them that, yeah, I know that after they've been dilly dallying around the store for two hours they get to me and just want the heck outta there! lol And so, I co-operate...and without being pushy too!

Old 01-09-2018, 01:56 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
I don't either but I've dealt with customers like that my whole life and I, pretty much, just yawn and blow it off.

My customers tell me they come through my register because I'm fast and will get them out of there. I tell them that, yeah, I know that after they've been dilly dallying around the store for two hours they get to me and just want the heck outta there! lol And so, I co-operate...and without being pushy too!
That's what I look for. The smart cashier who seems to be alert and present and doing their job.

My supermarket appears to have started hiring a lot of people on the spectrum over the past couple of years, which I think is a great thing. One of those cashiers, a middle-aged man, is my pick for when I'm stopping for a few things and the lines are building. He is fast and efficient.

The only problems are that sometimes they need someone overseeing the checkout area for when the lines get too long. One night around 9 there was only one register open. It was that cashier and he was going as fast as he could, but the line was snaking back into frozen foods. I looked over to the customer service desk, thinking they might be able to open another register, but the woman standing there was staring into space and digging in her ear with a pen, so I gave up on that idea.

They really need a manager or supervisor to oversee the front end the way they used to, but I guess that went away in the name of saving money.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:14 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,596,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I had a sharp-eyed young woman last week at a deli where I bought lunch. I gave her the change, and she immediately handed a coin back and said, "That's Canadian". I do visit Canada so always have some of their money on me, but I keep it in a separate place. The nickel must have gotten mixed in with my regular change.
Funny thing, Canadian coins are not readily accepted in the US, whereas US coins have been accepted in Canada at par value for at least 70 some years. Sometimes US money is worth more, sometime less.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's what I look for. The smart cashier who seems to be alert and present and doing their job.

My supermarket appears to have started hiring a lot of people on the spectrum over the past couple of years, which I think is a great thing. One of those cashiers, a middle-aged man, is my pick for when I'm stopping for a few things and the lines are building. He is fast and efficient.

The only problems are that sometimes they need someone overseeing the checkout area for when the lines get too long. One night around 9 there was only one register open. It was that cashier and he was going as fast as he could, but the line was snaking back into frozen foods. I looked over to the customer service desk, thinking they might be able to open another register, but the woman standing there was staring into space and digging in her ear with a pen, so I gave up on that idea.

They really need a manager or supervisor to oversee the front end the way they used to, but I guess that went away in the name of saving money.

We have about 400 people working in our store and I'd say it's a good mix of ages from 16 to 80's. I think we have three 16 yr olds and a few 80+ yr olds. One of my recent trainees was a 76 year old man. He didn't make it and I suggested he be a greeter. Much more suited to that and he likes it so it was a win win.

If the lady at the service desk was in management she should have jumped on a register. If she's 'just' an associate, they can't. They can't leave their own registers, etc.. Maybe management can't either if they are alone. We have management at the front 24/7 and most of the registers stay open till 11 PM. I HAVE got there at 7 AM and there's a big long line at the 24/7 register so I just jump on the closest register and get my own line! lol Actually, if it gets THAT bad a manager, from any dept., will open a register as well.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Funny thing, Canadian coins are not readily accepted in the US, whereas US coins have been accepted in Canada at par value for at least 70 some years. Sometimes US money is worth more, sometime less.

In all my jobs handling cash I don't recall ever being instructed to not take Canadian money. But, when I think about it, I don't see any of it and haven't for a long time.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:40 PM

1,347 posts, read 945,918 times
Quote:
In all my jobs handling cash I don't recall ever being instructed to not take Canadian money. But, when I think about it, I don't see any of it and haven't for a long time.
We were not supposed to take Canadian money (this was decades ago though, and it was much harder in general to pass off Canadian money to a cashier then).

There are a lot of management rules/procedures that people who don't work retail or customer service tend not to know about (and hence get frustrated when they are enforced). AZDesertBrat, you should totally start a thread where people can ask these "why is it this way" questions and gain a better understanding of the constraints and challenges on the other side.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:51 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,170,102 times
Most cashiers haven't done math for years. Decades.

The machine is supposed to tell them what to do.

Just be careful of "making life simpler" for them. A while back I had a bill for something like $11.25. I gave the girl a quarter. The machine could not help her. Totally bumfuzzled.

Old 01-09-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
We were not supposed to take Canadian money (this was decades ago though, and it was much harder in general to pass off Canadian money to a cashier then).

There are a lot of management rules/procedures that people who don't work retail or customer service tend not to know about (and hence get frustrated when they are enforced). AZDesertBrat, you should totally start a thread where people can ask these "why is it this way" questions and gain a better understanding of the constraints and challenges on the other side.

I'm surprised we don't get more Canadian money because we are a big tourist area and have a lot of snowbird winter population. Lots of Canadians! I've had a few traveler's checks but that's about it.

You're right that folks don't know all the rules and reg's of customer service/retail. I don't mind answering questions but not so good at starting threads. Over the years I've made a list of things I wish I could teach my customers! Some of them need as much training as my cashiers! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships