Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 10:25 AM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times

Advertisements

He's probably just trying to practice using Chinese and assumed you were. I'm not sure that this rises to the pitchforks and torches level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 12:40 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
So what? I really don't see the problem. Someone was trying to be nice, and you turned it into some kind of imaginary insult against you.
It is insulting. Just because someone is Asian doesn't mean that they signed up to play "Guess My Ethnicity!" simply by being out in public.

Caucasians don't get randomly addressed in a variety of European languages by someone hazarding a guess what their national origin might be.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:50 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,980,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
It is insulting. Just because someone is Asian doesn't mean that they signed up to play "Guess My Ethnicity!" simply by being out in public.

Caucasians don't get randomly addressed in a variety of European languages by someone hazarding a guess what their national origin might be.
If someone did hazard a guess at what my national origin might be, guess what? I would be happy to answer. It's interesting to know where people originated, and some people are curious and like to guess.

There is absolutely no insult there unless you want to be insulted and want to have something to complain about.

Old 04-27-2019, 05:56 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,631,916 times
I don't think the OP said anything about being "insulted," just annoyed. And yes, it is annoying. To just be going about your business, doing your day to day routine, and some grinning stranger starts hopping up and down in front of you like a puppy, bombarding you with multiple guesses about your ethnicity and place of birth, and implying an expectation for you to confirm those guesses? The dude's a freak.

It's not necessarily an insult, but when I go out in public and interact with the world, that sort of foolishness is not the sort of thing I am usually expecting to have to swat aside. I'm not likely to have a lot of patience for that crap.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:12 PM

24,587 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:

You are so wrong. And some of it can be past annoying, simply insulting.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:19 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
I don’t speak either of my parent’s native languages, and we spoke English anyway. One or two people in my life have done what the OP described. My response was to smile and tell them, “I know what that means but I do not speak the language.” That was enough to satisfy their curiosity (or whatever) without being nasty.

The only people I get angry at are those who think I somehow was wasteful, disrespectful of my parents’ background, etc etc because I did not learn their two languages. The reason our household spoke English was because it was neutral ground. Their own countries used to be at war with each other, and during fights they would actually dredge it up! So, in our home, English was the language of peaceful relations. If some idiotic third party chose to make it anything else, that is THEIR problem.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:03 PM

88,594 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:

People are ALWAYS speaking to me in the language of my ancestors, and I have NO idea how they all know my great-grandparents came from England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships