Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 11:37 AM

587 posts, read 423,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

I shared a story earlier, funny nobody has commented on it, so I need to tell it again.

I saw a white guy asking an Asian woman "Excuse me, Can you speak Chinese" in the mall once. The Asian woman acted like she has just been violated or attacked. She answered very angrily, "I was born in California, plus, I have a boyfriend already."

Turned out, the white gentleman is a doctor, and he just wanted somebody translating for him because a Chinese lady with limited English skills needed some medical attention.
I can see both sides to it but HER reaction was unnecessarily defensive and even presumptuous (thinking he wanted to date her)

It has different layers from my incident, but yes it was an interesting anecdote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 11:43 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krosser100 View Post
I can see both sides to it but HER reaction was unnecessarily defensive and even presumptuous (thinking he wanted to date her)

It has different layers from my incident, but yes it was an interesting anecdote
Ok good.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

My own uncle used to be a doctor without borders. He is white, and many people have asked him questions like, "Are you American? Are you French, etc, etc, etc" People just wanted to get to know him because he was NICE, that is all. sheesh
It's all about the color , you know

It's also "wording"

"What kind of Asian" comes off less subtle than "Where are your parents from" which I've gotten as well which is also not easily explained in my case.
"What is your heritage" "What is your ethnic background" are more thoughtful and less offensive.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:53 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
It's all about the color , you know

It's also "wording"

"What kind of Asian" comes off less subtle than "Where are your parents from" which I've gotten as well which is also not easily explained in my case.
"What is your heritage" "What is your ethnic background" are more thoughtful and less offensive.
This certainly is a good point, but most people are not psychics, they don't know what they say would rub you the wrong way.

Cut them some slack, most people are good people who never meant to "offend." Like I said, the white supremacists crowd would not care if you were born in Taiwan, or Tennessee anyway. Why pick on the good folks?

I certainly have asked several of my 100% white friends, "So what are you anyway? French, English, Russian?" lol They all know what I meant. They asked me the same question, and many said my mix was the coolest mix. Then they immediately asked me if my grandmother and grandfather hooked up during ww2. LOL They don't mean anything bad. I have a friend who has a German father and a Jewish mother, we sometimes joked around and told him that he must suffer from internal conflicts. It is just a joke.

This said, I think I commented enough and I really wish you the best. Although I think you overreacted, there is no doubt in my mind that you are a reasonable poster. So best luck to you.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 12-02-2018 at 12:55 PM..

Old 12-02-2018, 03:15 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,048 times
Quote:
That seems like Racial profiling. Make sure you have cell phone evidence ready and call these people out, that is just wrong. You should not have to feel eyes are peering over you when you mean no harm, just because of your race.

Don't refer to yourself as "meager". Appreciate your sharing of your experiences as a fellow person of color.

It does get to feeling a bit meager when constantly being on the receiving end of harsh looks, hateful jokes, suspicions and all the rest. I'm just being a person in the world but at times it feels like an alien existence.

I get followed and looked over the shoulder at - let's be truthful here - because some of us are still more suspect than others since we look... well... "common." I just happen to have the facial features, shape, and complexion of an average person in the hood than a Megean Good or Tracee Ellis Ross.

Old 12-02-2018, 05:30 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I lived in Japan and people in my town constantly thought I was Russian even though I was not. I do have Eastern European heritage and even in Russia people thought I was Russian and would come up to me and ask questions in Russian. I was not bothered when they did that in Japan. Life is too short.
Say HI! to Vlad for me, y'a heah?

Old 12-02-2018, 10:59 PM

1,702 posts, read 2,324,039 times
Quote:
Yesterday I held the door for this white man and he said "Xie Xie" (Chinese for thank you) and then when I had no response and no reaction, he said "Arigato" (Japanese)

Now I don't speak either language, I was aware of those greetings as many people who don't speak the language do, as others understand "Bonjour" etc. But just because I was Asian, he ASSUMED that I spoke the language. I am Chinese-American but that does not necessarily mean I speak Chinese or any other languages, just based on my race.

THEN, when I had no reaction again, he said "Are you Filipino"?!

I said "No I am not and you have been wrong!"

This is almost an opposite situation from the recent run ins I've had where I felt race was a trigger for encounters with rude strangers, in that this man "meant well" but "Thanks" would've sufficed, this is California 2018 after all. But the assumption about language ability and THEN ethnicity (with multiple failed attempts) just screamed ignorance.

It's not cute that just because you know 1 greeting in language X you use it on someone who you THINK comes from that country X.

Oh and this is not the 1st time something like this has happened
It was condescending and yeah I would of been annoyed as well.

That's like speaking swahili to a black guy on the street or telling him happy kwanzaa.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
I

That's like speaking swahili to a black guy on the street or telling him happy kwanzaa.
Yep, pretty much.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
It does get to feeling a bit meager when constantly being on the receiving end of harsh looks, hateful jokes, suspicions and all the rest. I'm just being a person in the world but at times it feels like an alien existence.

I get followed and looked over the shoulder at - let's be truthful here - because some of us are still more suspect than others since we look... well... "common." I just happen to have the facial features, shape, and complexion of an average person in the hood than a Megean Good or Tracee Ellis Ross.
If you feel racial profiling and being questioned/ intimidated because of your race, you do need to get your cell phone camera ready.

That's how the Black guy in St Louis got back at the white lady who questioned him about ENTERING HIS OWN APARTMENT- so glad he got it on cell phone evidence, posted it (he was so mild and calm too) and she lost her job from her bad behavior/ overzealous racial profiling.

https://www.bet.com/news/national/20...ack-man-f.html

Old 12-03-2018, 02:40 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Can't you just laugh it off as a quirk of human nature? I'm really not getting the outrage here, but I am seeing a lot of people who like being outraged. Well adjusted people don't dwell on stuff like this and I guarantee we all deal with weird stuff from others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships