Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 06:36 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times

Advertisements

What are your current living arrangements? Apartment, house, condo? If it's an apartment tell him your landlord won't allow that many overnight guests. Or like others have said, tell him you have to be somewhere else that week...though he may try to juggle his vacation around your schedule. If you really like this person, then what's four nights? While it may disrupt your life for a few days, it may also give you an opportunity to get caught up and enjoy his company. It reallly all depends on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 07:18 AM

326 posts, read 880,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I really think that his request very brazen. He didn't even email first saying that he was planning a visit and asking for hotel suggestions. Then at least you'd have a chance to consider offering him your place to stay. Plus he's got a family of eight!! And that's a small mob. Imagine the bathroom lines and the amount of clean towels you will need... or even if he brings his own towels and sleeping bags, that's still a lot of laundry to do in four days. And what would he do for you as a thank you for your hospitality? A future invite to sleep on the floors in his house?

With six children, it's not as if you will have quality time with him couple to couple. It's going to be four days of chaos at your place, even if he is a stern disciplinarian with his kids.

So so true! LOL @ "a small mob".

Here are a couple possible excuses
1) My SO & I fight a lot & dont get along.
2) I would love to help but my SO says no.
3) House is too small
4) Tight budget you would be miserable staying with us here.
5) In laws coming over

Question: These pple cant be American. Where y'll from?

Old 04-23-2009, 07:40 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
I agree with the decline and suggestion of modestly priced alternatives. If it was one night I may give in to that.

When I was young I recall a brother of my mother that would do that. He would call and ask if they could stay a 'couple' days in the midst of a road trip. Family is one thing, but they had 5 kids and we had to entertain them when they came. Maybe thats why to this day I dont do much with relatives.

Last edited by Oildog; 04-23-2009 at 07:55 AM..

Old 04-23-2009, 08:52 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebanker View Post
So so true! LOL @ "a small mob".

Here are a couple possible excuses
1) My SO & I fight a lot & dont get along.
2) I would love to help but my SO says no.
3) House is too small
4) Tight budget you would be miserable staying with us here.
5) In laws coming over

Question: These pple cant be American. Where y'll from?
Sure, they can be American. My family is very open-door. I just had five extra people stay three days at our house. Yes, showers were a pain, but we managed. My grandparents have large families and I grew up in a hospitable family where friends were always welcome. It wasn't uncommon for my uncle to bring home a friend who'd stay for a couple of months, and my dad and his brothers have all moved back in with my grandma at one time or another. So did we for a few months, and my cousin lives there now. When I was little, Gram had about 15 extra people staying with her for almost a week!

It's just normal in my family.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:41 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalWoman View Post
Her kids were twelve, eight, seven, five and two. I hadn't told anyone about my pregnancy as of then. I would have watched the kids for a couple hours for her to spend some time with her male friend, but not keep them overnight while being in my condition.
Your "friend" was WAY out of line, and selfish to boot. She showed her true colors by reacting the way she did - you are better off without her

Old 04-23-2009, 11:15 AM

337 posts, read 793,946 times
Default some more suggestions

Offer to meet them at the local park so you can all have a bar-b-que. Tell them you'll even bring the hot dogs and burgers...

Excuses:
1) Not so sure, the dogs keep getting diarrhea and we're not ready to clean the carpets yet...
2) Our dogs don't like strangers and strange kids...so we'd be nervous with your bunch here...and we keep forgetting to get their rabies shot.
3) Its Ok as long as there is no noise...My wife is still recovering from the nervous breakdown.
4) Sure, only problem is that you'd have to park your van near the corner where the latest (drug deal, car napping, car theft) occurred
5) Sorry, that's the same week as the swingers party and its at our house that time.
6) Sorry but that the same week that our coven is meeting and we don't want to interfere with the spells
6) We forgot to tell you we've converted to Santería and that the week we'll be making our sacrifices that week.

I can come up with a bunch more...

Old 04-23-2009, 11:20 AM

219 posts, read 736,483 times
Default To many under foot

Tell your friend to rent an RV for the family to stay in and park it
in your drive way, that way the friend can be close to your home
to visit and the kids are not all over your floors and under you're feet.

(My sister came from Texas to visit, she has 7 kids- the kids were
all good kids but to have 9 extra people in my house would have
drove me nuts, they rented a big Camper once they arrived here
in Washington and parked it in my drive way, we hooked them up
to our power and water and it was great the kids had fun
because they felt like the were on a adventure in that camper,
my sister and her husband had a good time because every
morning we all meet for coffee and planed what fun things
we would do for the day.
They were in our drive way for 2 weeks and it was great
because my sister and I are still good friends, if they had
stayed in my house I know there would have been some
turmoil and would have caused a fight.)

Old 04-23-2009, 11:32 AM

177 posts, read 757,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynda05125 View Post
Tell your friend to rent an RV for the family to stay in and park it
in your drive way, that way the friend can be close to your home
to visit and the kids are not all over your floors and under you're feet.
That is a really awesome idea! I'm obviously not the OP, but I would never have even thought of that. What's the pricing difference of renting an RV versus staying @ a hotel?

Old 04-23-2009, 12:46 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,790,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Whoa, insane. I wouldn't let 8 people into any house or apartment of mine at any given time. Let alone to sleep there for a week. What will they eat? Will they all have to use the bathrooms? How many of them are kids?

I'm sorry, but I'd have to give that one a resounding Hell no.
Chamber pots maybe??

Old 04-23-2009, 03:34 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,992 times
Trolls live under bridges, who cares who stays with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships