Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2018, 10:24 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Strolling around. Preferably a dog park. I have my dog
Pullen Park obviously is the best park in the downtown area. Short walk from Hillsborough st.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:12 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,391,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Pullen Park obviously is the best park in the downtown area. Short walk from Hillsborough st.

So I’m curious as to what you guys, in both Charlotte and Raleigh, normally do?

I’m going to be very brief now and post more later.

Things I typically do literally day to day uptown (because I’m there everyday)

- Mecklenburg Aquatic Center to swim and workout
- Greenways
- Frazier Creek Dog Park to let my dog play with other dogs
- The neighborhood parks (1st Ward, 4th Ward parks)
- Bike, especially with my little dog
- Movies
- Elmwood Cemetary (ok. It sounds stupid but it’s fun to play Pokémon go there. And I play Pokémon Go because it takes me to places I haven’t been so it’s fun. I’m not a weirdo)
- Eat at local places & 7th street market
- Stroll, there is absolutely always something going on. Today a lady was playing a violen at trade/Tryon and a block down a couple people and were singing and performing Michael Jackson. You can find something like the symphony playing at Romare Park, holding an outdoor movie - so it makes strolling great.
- Free things. Wednesday nights the museums are free, for example. Wells Fargo museum sounds boring but is neat (take your picture like you’re in jail, print money of yourself)
- Kid things if I have younger kids around (great excuse for Rays Splash Planet, indoor water park)
- Bars

I don’t club and I hate art. I like to glance and that’s it. I’m very outdoorsy

You’ll rarely see me on Tryon Street or Romare Park. Uptown is much, much more than that and as a resident, things like dog parks are more important to me than where visitors go. I like the smaller details people don’t pay attention to.

I’ll post more details later.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 01-26-2018 at 11:38 AM..

Old 01-26-2018, 11:39 AM

I work everyday.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I work everyday.

Working takes away those luxuries?

Even on a very late day, I bike from 7th street to East/West and get on the light rail home at minimum (less than 2 miles, but still)

Old 01-26-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Working takes away those luxuries?

Even on a very late day, I bike from 7th street to East/West and get on the light rail home at minimum (less than 2 miles, but still)
Well i don't work downtown so yeah. My day to day life is not a showcase for Raleigh's features and amenities.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:32 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
I work everyday.
Touche!

Old 01-26-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Touche!

I still take my dog out. I still go out for a jog or a ride or out to eat most nights... I’m healthy and live an active lifestyle. I’m not overweight.

So on a daily basis you just drive home from RTP and go home and watch TV? Your neighborhood has no sidewalks? You have a wife that cooks? My boyfriend and I prefer to eat out. It’s such a great relaxer after a long day.

I bike on my commute home. Literally, 1.7 miles in 14 minutes. Because I knew it would be too late to do anything.

I’m not knocking sedentary lives. It’s just not my thing. 7:30 & on is my home time.
Attached Thumbnails
Raleigh vs Charlotte-d4d2b294-a50e-4c33-a54c-6be0a28af92d.jpeg  

Old 01-27-2018, 06:08 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,439,097 times
Pullen Park is great, my grand kids love it.

Old 01-27-2018, 07:56 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times
Charlotte485, fwiw, Wake County (Raleigh) and Orange County (Chapel Hill) are ranked as the two healthiest counties in the state: http://www.countyhealthrankings.org/...tcomes/overall . Union Co is #3 and Meck is #8. Durham Co is #15. So I'd say both areas have plenty of folks who favor an active lifestyle.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:24 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:
So I’m curious as to what you guys, in both Charlotte and Raleigh, normally do?

I’m going to be very brief now and post more later.

Things I typically do literally day to day uptown (because I’m there everyday)

- Mecklenburg Aquatic Center to swim and workout
- Greenways
- Frazier Creek Dog Park to let my dog play with other dogs
- The neighborhood parks (1st Ward, 4th Ward parks)
- Bike, especially with my little dog
- Movies
- Elmwood Cemetary (ok. It sounds stupid but it’s fun to play Pokémon go there. And I play Pokémon Go because it takes me to places I haven’t been so it’s fun. I’m not a weirdo)
- Eat at local places & 7th street market
- Stroll, there is absolutely always something going on. Today a lady was playing a violen at trade/Tryon and a block down a couple people and were singing and performing Michael Jackson. You can find something like the symphony playing at Romare Park, holding an outdoor movie - so it makes strolling great.
- Free things. Wednesday nights the museums are free, for example. Wells Fargo museum sounds boring but is neat (take your picture like you’re in jail, print money of yourself)
- Kid things if I have younger kids around (great excuse for Rays Splash Planet, indoor water park)
- Bars

I don’t club and I hate art. I like to glance and that’s it. I’m very outdoorsy

You’ll rarely see me on Tryon Street or Romare Park. Uptown is much, much more than that and as a resident, things like dog parks are more important to me than where visitors go. I like the smaller details people don’t pay attention to.

I’ll post more details later.
It's not even really a debate for those of use who do spend a lot of time downtown in both cities. Downtown Charlotte has strived to be much more vibrant and energetic than downtown Raleigh over the past few decades and it shows. Raleigh has a lot going for it, old stock of buildings, warehouses, etc.. As I stated earlier in this thread or in another one, downtown Raleigh simply seemed content to be a larger version of Downtown Greenville, NC. While Charlotte was more or less influenced by Atlanta or Atlanta envy so it's pushed harder to seem "world" class with some success and failures. But that's the rub, if you're trying sooner or later you'll find pockets of success and now Charlotte has much more momentum. Though Raleigh and city leaders have finally put down the pick forks and pushing to be more accommodating to pursue a larger and more vibrant downtown presence. Then, both Durham and Chapel Hill aren't sluggish neighbors, so it kind of takes the shine away from Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina