Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2018, 04:42 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
I hate to break it to you, but Raleigh is not trying to be similar to any other city. That's what Charlotte does.
I hate to tell you. Austin is a good reference point of where Raleigh is heading. Pretty sure even your triangle posters would say Austin is a benchmark. I'm not really sure why you think Raleigh is doing something mind blowingly different than Nashville, Austin, Denver, Portland, Charlotte, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, Detroit, Minneapolis, Seattle, etc.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:49 PM

Quote:

Raleigh is often compared to Austin, Texas, among other mid-sized cities in the United States that we share business and demographics with. A recent side-by-side comparison by Find The Best blog shows why we sometimes lose business to Austin, or rank closely on “The Best of” lists.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...nd-austin.html

Lots of people who lived in both see the similarity.
https://www.yelp.com/topic/raleigh-n...a-vs-austin-tx

So... maybe its just you who doesn't see the similarities

Old 01-31-2018, 04:50 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Of the 10 tallest tower in Austin, 9 are residential
Of the 10 tallest towers in Charlotte, 1 is residential

The 5 Tallest buildings in Austin:

1.) 690 Ft. Residential
2.) 683 Ft. Residential
3.) 581 Ft. Residential
4.) 515 Ft. Office
5.) 478 Ft. Residential

The 5 Tallest buildings in Charlotte:

1.) 871 Ft Office
2.) 786 Ft. Office
3.) 659 Ft. Office
4.) 632 Ft. Office
5.) 588 Ft. Office
Don't you think the purpose of a tower/skyscraper has a direct correlation to the city's needs? Isn't that what drives the market/real estate?

I would look at those statistics and think no huge employer in Austin probably needs to have a 800 ft. tall skyscraper.

UT-Austin and the State of Texas, have to be the some of the biggest employers (if not the two biggest) within the city limits of Austin, and I don't really see either needing a skyscraper.

Isn't Dell, based out in the 'burbs of Round Rock and they probably have just a huge office park, with dozens of smaller buildings.

I know there are a ton of smaller/medium sized tech companies based in Austin and some of the "big boys" have regional offices there, but I guess none really require a ginormous new tower, say like Comcast in Philly, which is just finishing their second (the tallest building outside NYC and Chicago) tower and planning a third tower already.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:52 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,817 times
Quote:
I hate to tell you. Austin is a good reference point of where Raleigh is heading. Pretty sure even your triangle posters would say Austin is a benchmark. I'm not really sure why you think Raleigh is doing something mind blowingly different than Nashville, Austin, Denver, Portland, Charlotte, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, Detroit, Minneapolis, Seattle, etc.
I never said that I think Raleigh is doing something mind blowingly different, I just said that Raleigh is not trying to be similar to any other cities. You're making inaccurate assumptions based on unambiguous statements.

Thinking that a city in a different region of the country can absolutely morph to be like another city is foolish. There are differences in climate, culture, infrastructure, state and municipal laws, etc. that influence how cities grow that may preclude a city like Charlotte, for example, from eventually becoming a city like say Atlanta or NYC.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Don't you think the purpose of a tower/skyscraper has a direct correlation to the city's needs? Isn't that what drives the market/real estate?

I would look at those statistics and think no huge employer in Austin probably needs to have a 800 ft. tall skyscraper.

UT-Austin and the State of Texas, have to be the some of the biggest employers (if not the two biggest) within the city limits of Austin, and I don't really see either needing a skyscraper.

Isn't Dell, based out in the 'burbs of Round Rock and they probably have just a huge office park, with dozens of smaller buildings.

I know there are a ton of smaller/medium sized tech companies based in Austin and some of the "big boys" have regional offices there, but I guess none really require a ginormous new tower, say like Comcast in Philly, which is just finishing their second (the tallest building outside NYC and Chicago) tower and planning a third tower already.

Absolutely. That is why when looking at development, Austin is a much better idea of how Raleigh's center city will/can grow similar to. And probably not like CLT.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:02 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,526 times
I think both Charlotte and Raleigh want to be their own city. I don't think Raleigh want to be like Austin with all their traffic problems. Charlotte does not want to be like Atlanta with all their traffic problems.

Charlotte and Raleigh both have Charlotte Center City Partner and Raleigh has Raleigh Downtown Alliance. They will have more to do on how each business center will look like. I think when Raleigh City Council see the advantage of having high rises in downtown for taxes, look out.

I agree that Raleigh wants to be its own city just like Charlotte.

Both city take and visit other city to get ideas, but I have yet to see ether city saying it want to be like another city.

All I know is that Metro Charlotte and RTP Metro is taking North Carolina forward with jobs and population.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
I never said that I think Raleigh is doing something mind blowingly different, I just said that Raleigh is not trying to be similar to any other cities. You're making inaccurate assumptions based on unambiguous statements.

Thinking that a city in a different region of the country can absolutely morph to be like another city is foolish. There are differences in climate, culture, infrastructure, state and municipal laws, etc. that influence how cities grow that may preclude a city like Charlotte, for example, from eventually becoming a city like say Atlanta or NYC.

Raleigh is similar to Austin. Not by choice, not out of ambition. I mean, Austin got put on the map in 2007. I was there in 2005. Didn't seem like anything special. There is absolutely no way Raleigh could've emulated Austin out of choice. But there are similarities. And most people agree. So...

Is Raleigh this magical place that just CAN'T be compared and contrasted to other cities? I mean, if downtown Raleigh grows bigger.... and I want an idea of how it grows bigger, what could it resemble... What would a bigger downtown Raleigh look like?

Old 01-31-2018, 05:53 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,526 times
Quote:
Raleigh is similar to Austin. Not by choice, not out of ambition. I mean, Austin got put on the map in 2007. I was there in 2005. Didn't seem like anything special. There is absolutely no way Raleigh could've emulated Austin out of choice. But there are similarities. And most people agree. So...

Is Raleigh this magical place that just CAN'T be compared and contrasted to other cities? I mean, if downtown Raleigh grows bigger.... and I want an idea of how it grows bigger, what could it resemble... What would a bigger downtown Raleigh look like?

I been to Austin and the feel is much differ than Raleigh. First it is a Texas cow town, no North Carolina city can be Austin. Next Austin has a river downtown. It is 271.8 sq. miles Population is 947,890 people. founded in 1839.

A number of Fortune 500 companies have headquarters or regional offices in Austin, including Amazon.com, Apple Inc., Cisco, eBay, General Motors, Google, IBM, Intel, Oracle Corporation, Paypal, Texas Instruments, 3M, and Whole Foods Market.[SIZE=2][11][/SIZE] Dell's worldwide headquarters is located in nearby Round Rock, a suburb of Austin.
I was at the IBM site for a week and to a wedding in Austin.

University of Texas in Austin had 51,331 students in 2016.

Austin has been growing faster than Charlotte and Fort Worth TX. I do not get the feeling Raleigh will ever be like Austin.

I think Raleigh and Charlotte will do just find with out being like another city.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:32 PM

.... So Tech companies, a river and universities is what you cite as Raleigh and Austin being different?

Of course weather and a river is something that differentiates Austin. Of course it is in cowboy state... But we are talking built enviornment. How it will develop.

If Raleigh skyline starts to grow, its downtown as it grows, will probably grow similar to that of Austin. We're not talking rivers or who are cowboys. We are talking about how Raleigh is growing.... It has nothing to do what wanting to be something, rather, theres only so many ways to grow.

Will Raleigh start to build large office towers? Most likely no. a few. But not a boom. Industries that Raleigh is strong in, such as tech generally have campuses - IE Silicon Valley. Also, These tech companies don't build larger towers nor do they have a lot of employees generally compared to other industries that would anchor such large buildings and the are more focused on research.

So will Raleigh resemble DC? That's the stupidest thing I ever heard - no resemblance. Period. There is just no fathomable way to draw a resemblance. Maybe a suburb of DC. Bethesda with a few large office towers.

Will Raleigh continue to build low rises? Well, as land becomes scarce, it will build vertical. Not sure Raleigh or any southern city besides NoLa could have dense lowrise development.

Raleigh could continually to grow organically. Focusing on its bars, breweries, parks, union station, etc. etc. which will fuel more and more interest in downtown. I believe that is what is happening. As demand grows, land will become scarce and build upwards. Not sure there will be demand for 60 floor towers, but 30 floors towers? absolutely. I see NO reason Raleighs center city wont boom like Nashville and Austin. Charlotte's growth is fueled by the banks... I don't foresee that in Raleigh.

That doesn't mean Raleigh is gonna wear cowbow hats or build a river. It simple means... I think downtown Raleigh is going to grow up. MAybe I'm wrong. Maybe it'll grow like Phoenix. I'm not too familar with PHX. But I don't think Raleigh will grow like CLT or other corporate heavy towns.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:21 PM

15 posts, read 12,698 times
Quote:

Charlotte's growth is fueled by the banks... I don't foresee that in Raleigh.
Ironically, Raleigh's new 22-story mix-use tower will begin construction next week. Once completed it will be First National Bank's regional headquarters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina