Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2016, 09:40 PM

601 posts, read 964,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ENC View Post
I'm literally asking this question. I don't think anyone has done this much damage to state in my lifetime. In the span of 4 years he's:

Cut unemployment benefits
Cut public school budgets
denied Medicaid
pass voter ID laws that restricts voting
flirted with the idea of offshore drilling
and now the whole bathroom bill

and that's just off the top of my head. Idk who else comes close, but I'm only in my mid 20's so maybe some of the older CD people on here can shed some light about possibly worse governors.
In modern times? Easily. Overall? Probably not. Charles Aycock was literally in the bed with the KKK, and might have been indirectly responsible for the Wilmington race riots of 1898.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:27 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
On paper, yes. But look into the number of people who actually paid at the 91% rate. And don't forget that about half the working population in the USA now pays zero federal income tax. Of course, they vote for big government. Why not? Hey, free benefits. (You know the expression "vote Democrat; it beats working.)

WWII was financed mainly by growth in the post-war economy. As tax rates came down, this growth strengthened, but growth was perhaps mostly due to the USA being the last man standing after the war.

Perhaps some of the people posting here are too young to ever have worked two jobs under high marginal tax rates. I have. For six years. (Aside: that's an example of white, male privilege -- the privilege to work yourself to death trying to support a family). Because taxes in various forms took more than half the pay of the second job, it became evident that the best course was simply to quit. In other words, high marginal tax rates distort the heck out of the economy. Worth thinking about . . .
As a female boomer I was denied those jobs. I know what discrimination looks & sounds like, as well as what it doesn't pay.

However, to get back to the topic, McCrory has been a disaster. He spent 4 years going on WCNC & trashing everything that Bev did & saying how much better he would have been. With the economy in the sewer, she did more for my area than he has. The economy would be better if he had taken the Medicaid expansion. The "tax decrease" has cost middle & lower classes. HB2 is costing people in money & the state's reputation. Don't forget him taking cookies to women who were protesting an anti-women bill that he signed & praised. If he's not the worst, he's in the top 10.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:41 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
As a female boomer I was denied those jobs. I know what discrimination looks & sounds like, as well as what it doesn't pay.

However, to get back to the topic, McCrory has been a disaster. He spent 4 years going on WCNC & trashing everything that Bev did & saying how much better he would have been. With the economy in the sewer, she did more for my area than he has. The economy would be better if he had taken the Medicaid expansion. The "tax decrease" has cost middle & lower classes. HB2 is costing people in money & the state's reputation. Don't forget him taking cookies to women who were protesting an anti-women bill that he signed & praised. If he's not the worst, he's in the top 10.
I believe he has met his match in Attorney General Lynch.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I believe he has met his match in Attorney General Lynch.
I certainly hope so. I don't buy any excuses for discrimination. Been there, done that, too many times. Taking away everyone's right to sue for any form of discrimination in state courts is inexcusable, even if someone cannot understand the bathroom portion of the bill.

I knew it wasn't going to be a good 4 years when he took the plate of cookies out to the women protesters. How insulting & denigrating!!!

Old 05-12-2016, 03:31 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,291,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Don't forget him taking cookies to women who were protesting an anti-women bill that he signed & praised.
I have to agree with you -- the cookie thing was not only inappropriate for a Governor and quite ungentlemanly, it was also just plain stupid. I was taken aback. Big mistake.

But many of the actions that people jump up and down about on this forum are the work of the legislature, not the Governor. Yes, I suppose he could veto some, but that's generally not the way that one treats one's own party.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
I have to agree with you -- the cookie thing was not only inappropriate for a Governor and quite ungentlemanly, it was also just plain stupid. I was taken aback. Big mistake.

But many of the actions that people jump up and down about on this forum are the work of the legislature, not the Governor. Yes, I suppose he could veto some, but that's generally not the way that one treats one's own party.
For younger people, the cookie thing tied into insulting attitudes lobbed at females well into the entry of most of the Gen X females into the workforce. When I heard that, I was seething. Then he played dumb about it, like it was their problem that women were insulted. If he's had a responsible job with Duke, you can't tell me that that was not calculated to send a message.

Vetoing mean-spirited, nasty, denigrating bills is McCrory's job. If the legislature over-rides it, so be it.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:19 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,041,305 times
Worst in my lifetime, so yes.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:13 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,263,938 times
Quote:

He is suppose to work for the people of North Carolina, NOT his party.

Shoot, if I was him. I would've vetoed a lot more things, especially if they were overridden in the GA. Just on the merits of LOOKING moderate and not being a puppet.

Old 05-13-2016, 03:08 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,495,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
[/b]

He is suppose to work for the people of North Carolina, NOT his party.

Shoot, if I was him. I would've vetoed a lot more things, especially if they were overridden in the GA. Just on the merits of LOOKING moderate and not being a puppet.
Unfortunately, Governor McCrory seems to have taken the old mantra "if you can't beat 'em ...join 'em, to heart! Too many bills, given his track record as a Charlotte mayor, I would have thought he opposed and he just blightly went ahead and signed! Bend me, shape me, anyway you want me Pat McCrory!

Old 05-13-2016, 04:06 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Not even close to being the worst.

Our prior 2 governors alone rank below him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina