Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2006, 06:10 PM

11 posts, read 36,789 times

Advertisements

Luckydog,
I hope you don't think all us retirees from NY are like that! I have also run into these people here. I worked for a woman who belonged to the country club and thought she was better than everyone else. Always knew better than you! I put her in her place a couple of times, lol! I up and quit, couldn't take it anymore. My husband and I worked hard for a living. Nothing was given to us. We are leaving 2 grown children and 4 grandchildren behind, when we make our move the end of the month, but we feel it's something that we have to do because of our fixed income and we have been looking forward to not going through another harsh winter. We will do our best to fit in and make southern friends. We are not old foggies. My husband rides a motorcycle and we are the proud owners of a 1966 Plymouth Sport Fury. Anyone know of any car shows or cruises in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2006, 06:56 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy beaches
Couldn't have said that better myself. I have been reading this thread because I have family members thinking of moving to NC. The hostility is overwhelming. And geez if you mention the atrocious school situation and disagree with Paddling they attack. I remember reading facts from a woman from NC about certain "school issues". I think she runs a cause or something. All her posts had been deleted.
I have to say, as an "old transplant" to NC for over 11 years (now leaving though), it's been my observation that the natives, at least those in the more populated areas (not so much in the small towns and country) are more accepting (at least to their face) than the new transplants. It was only a few weeks ago when I was in a little deli in Apex called "New York NY Fresh Deli" , and there was a couple who came in to order their food, while we were already sitting down and eating. The Deli was actually a franchise, and the franchise owners were native NC'ers, complete with the thick Carolina accent. The owner asked the customer what she wanted, and the lady said " well you don't sound like you're from new york.... do you have any COW TOUNGE". When the lady said she had never heard of people eating cow tongue, still in a fairly polite voice, the new yorker lady made an arrogant scoff and said "we drove 30 minutes here from North Raleigh and you call yourselves a new york deli and you don't even have cow tongue". The owner explaned that it was a franchise and that there really isn't much demand for cow tongue. The lady just rolled her eyes, and when her husband wanted to order a Rueben (which I was eating, and it was excellent) his wife said, "we aren't going to eat at this fake place". Now while I'm sure the expression "**** yankee" was used multiple times by the owner of that deli that day and many days after, I see that as being more welcoming than the transplant new yorker"

Old 06-05-2006, 07:10 PM

I know, I almost cholked when I heard that. Apparently it's a New York City food.

Old 06-05-2006, 07:27 PM

192 posts, read 654,920 times
miker...guess I have carried that around a while...sorry to unload on you all..it just started spilling...

fastfilm...I'm totally blown away by all your posts, and the others too, about cali...I think your experiences are far worse than mine actually, on many levels...and at least I never actually got spit on, as was reported a while back.

Old 06-05-2006, 07:27 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla
things from nc natives towards others/outsiders/foreigners/ or whatever natives call them at times. not everyone does this of course, but man i dont think i have seen the racism and negativity towards "yankees" as i have seen here in western nc. it goes both ways, "lucky dog."
I hope I am being clear, by "foreigners" I am referring no non- Americans , and mostly I am talking about the ones who make absolutely no effort to learn English or to become part of this area...

Old 06-05-2006, 07:34 PM

192 posts, read 654,920 times
Quote:
I hope you don't think all us retirees from NY are like that
of course not...I absolutely don't

Old 06-05-2006, 07:35 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,547,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
I know, I almost cholked when I heard that. Apparently it's a New York City food.
Hey don't knock a good "tongue" sandwich until you've tried it- it's the only sandwhich that will taste you back LOL

Seriously though...the rude woman in that deli clearly had no "home training". I can't even say I experienced that kind of rudeness in a real NYC deli in Manhattan. It's just proof there are *jerks* everywhere.

Lucky's thoughts are very valid and courageous. She spoke her true feelings, and didn't bottle them up anymore. It was an experience she felt that was clearly at a minimum traumatic. I don't really want to go to far on this as there are SOOO many threads that could be extracted from lucky's testimony.

I'll say this though, I *know* those moving down will be considerate of the wonderful NCians and the NCians will continue to extend that great southern hospitality and friendliness. We will ALL strive to not let past bad experiences be the single determinating factor on how we interact with new people.

Old 06-05-2006, 07:36 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
I have to say, as an "old transplant" to NC for over 11 years (now leaving though), it's been my observation that the natives, at least those in the more populated areas (not so much in the small towns and country) are more accepting (at least to their face) than the new transplants. It was only a few weeks ago when I was in a little deli in Apex called "New York NY Fresh Deli" , and there was a couple who came in to order their food, while we were already sitting down and eating. The Deli was actually a franchise, and the franchise owners were native NC'ers, complete with the thick Carolina accent. The owner asked the customer what she wanted, and the lady said " well you don't sound like you're from new york.... do you have any COW TOUNGE". When the lady said she had never heard of people eating cow tongue, still in a fairly polite voice, the new yorker lady made an arrogant scoff and said "we drove 30 minutes here from North Raleigh and you call yourselves a new york deli and you don't even have cow tongue". The owner explaned that it was a franchise and that there really isn't much demand for cow tongue. The lady just rolled her eyes, and when her husband wanted to order a Rueben (which I was eating, and it was excellent) his wife said, "we aren't going to eat at this fake place". Now while I'm sure the expression "**** yankee" was used multiple times by the owner of that deli that day and many days after, I see that as being more welcoming than the transplant new yorker"

That is a typical New Yorker if I ever heard one. I could just picture them now. That's what I HATE. My mother is like that exactly. LOL Some of them are sooo obnoxious. Brings back memories although we have them here too. I can see why the NC natives get aggrevated with them.

Oh by the way I love ruebens!!

Old 06-05-2006, 07:39 PM

I grew up an hour away from a town in Upstate NY called Phelps that had an annual Sauer***** festival because the area has a lot of cabbage fields. I know it smells HORRIBLE, and I can't eat it... unless ofcourse it's on a rueben. Same thing with Thousand Island Dressing (The thousand Islands were also only a couple hours away. lol)

Last edited by just_sayin'; 06-05-2006 at 07:42 PM..

Old 06-05-2006, 07:41 PM

why the heck did they think k-r-a-u-t was a bad word?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina