Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2009, 12:56 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,583,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
that sort of behavior shouldn't be accepted anywhere. i've never seen that in NY and never knew that it was common behavior in NY.
in ny, nobody would shun her...because we wouldn't care. we'd keep it moving. so she's acting like a b'. it is what it is, i'm going to eat my food, if things get outta hand i'm leaving, etc. etc.

there's no reason to shun anyone in that situation. i'd mind my own business and not care. i'd think in my head, wow, thats crazy...but i wouldn't have anything to say about it. it doesn't concern me, you know?

but where did you get that thats acceptable behavior in the north?

why do you assume that this is acceptable behavior anywhere in the country, though?

i feel like ppl buy into these stereotypes hard. also, do you not think that the above also happens elsewhere in the country? in the south??

so you've never heard of this happening in the south? with your magnet schools vs. public schools? someone thinking their kid is better because they went to a magnet school but they are now in a public school and having a rough time transitioning?

in the south i've seen ppl cut each other off, blow their horn, spit, flip ppl off, curse, etc.

but i wouldn't label every southerner by a negative connotation because of it. it wouldn't change my opinion about southerners one way or the other.
You know. I give up. If you read my earlier posts, you will clearly see what I have outlined.

Here is what I have decided.

I promise not to all you a Yankee no matter how badly you act.

I will just call you an Ass.

Deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 01:01 PM
eek eek started this thread

3,574 posts, read 7,747,564 times
thats fine. i hope that one day you won't embrace stereotypes and realize that not everyone from the north acts like that and also realize that some ppl outside of the north act just like you described in your posts.

table tipping...lol @ that.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
thats fine. i hope that one day you won't embrace stereotypes and realize that not everyone from the north acts like that and also realize that some ppl outside of the north act just like you described in your posts.

table tipping...lol @ that.
[mod cut]

I have stated over and over that I am fully aware that "not everyone" from the NE acts out in public.

I am also fully aware that anyone from anywhere can act like a jerk.

What's your point?

Last edited by mrstewart; 07-13-2009 at 02:42 PM..

Old 07-08-2009, 01:22 PM
eek eek started this thread

3,574 posts, read 7,747,564 times
when you say things like, "i am aware that not everyone in the NE is rude"
but then say things like "....and thats just not acceptable behavior here"

i see that as "...but thats acceptable behavior in the NE."

especially when you say things like, "when in rome do as the romans do." "i have to adapt (when in nyc)"

so basically i see that as you have to act like a yankee when in NYC.
meaning that you feel like (even if you don't say it) northerners are yankees (in the negative sense of the word).

but again, its whatever. i see how you throw the word around. its cool. throw it around in NYC and see how far it gets you.
maybe you have. maybe someone countered with a "bless your heart." i dunno.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:

especially when you say things like, "when in rome do as the romans do." "i have to adapt (when in nyc)"

meaning that you feel like (even if you don't say it) northerners are yankees (in the negative sense of the word).

but again, its whatever. i see how you throw the word around. its cool. throw it around in NYC and see how far it gets you.
EEK . . . I married a Yankee! What the heck is your problem??? Why do you keep insisting on making this discussion into something personal? It is all abstract stuff.

I have tried to explain the various uses of the word and WHY there is a pejorative use of the word as well as innocuous uses. It is what it is! If your whole thing is to somehow prove that we are all prejudiced down here in the South, it is a nonsensical argument! People are people everywhere, but I stick to what I said earlier . . . the most contentious and obnoxious people who cross our paths here in Charlotte, NC are almost always from the NE. Now you can take it or you can leave - you can label me as prejudiced. My own husband agrees with me, as do my friends from the NE. So give it up! If you disagree - FINE. NO ONE CARES!

Old 07-08-2009, 07:59 PM

332 posts, read 1,432,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire120 View Post
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

I was born in North Carolina but all my relatives are from Maryland and Delaware. Lets face it, most of the southern jeallousy to people from the north is because the south lost the war. A lot of people in the south are still fighting the civil war.

Those Damn Yankees!!! LOL
Talk about hahaha.

That's an example of YOUR stereotype of individuals from the south. I'm born, raised, and have all of my family from here yada, yada and I can assure you that we are jealous of no one and ESPECIALLY NOT FROM THE CIVIL WAR.

That's just ridiculous.

The worst part about this thread is that it is still culturally acceptable to bash people from the south because of something ALL OF YOU still carry from the Civil War... the idea that we are less than because of decisions that MOST of this nation made to keep slaves.

It's like it's culturally acceptable to bash fat people, Michael Jackson, and poor people.... and apparently Southerners. On top of that... any offer to reason or defend is met with people screaming even more loudly that we just don't get it.

Ok, fine, we don't get it, let's all just move along. I'm too slow to understand the complex intricacies of socioeconomics, cultural history, linguistics, and overall human behavior. It hurts my head. I'm going to go catch a greased pig, iron my Confederate flag, and dust my photo of Lee.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:12 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,349,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformationPlease View Post
Talk about hahaha.

That's an example of YOUR stereotype of individuals from the south. I'm born, raised, and have all of my family from here yada, yada and I can assure you that we are jealous of no one and ESPECIALLY NOT FROM THE CIVIL WAR.
I don't get it either. But then again I guess I am technically a transplant raised in NC (since I was 7). My sister is a native. I've never heard her talk about the Civil War. My boyfriend was born and raised in NC. Never heard him mention the north vs. the south. It's weird to think people actually think this is an issue most southerners have. I guess it is just an outdated stereotype that people just need to be clued in on how silly it is.

By the way, I am only seeing it on these boards. Most people I know are transplants and never have I come across this. I also don't have much of an accent so maybe I am not an easy target. I think a lot of the silly stuff being said on this forum is b/c people will say what they want online, but not in person.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:43 PM

206 posts, read 440,609 times
Quote:

Being from the North myself, I just don't see that happening.

We are way more defiant than our Southern counterparts. I don't mean that in a nasty way, to either region.

Being called a Yankee in any derogatory way or any Northern bashing, will not get you very far up here, let alone doing it in the South. I know, I have experienced it firsthand. Maybe I was just lucky enough, to have run into the bad ones. I'm sure that's the case. I have met some wonderful people down there also.

Southerners may have run into the same kind of treatment from some in the North, but most of us have more important things on our minds than than to bash somebody about a war 150 years ago(I wasn't there), someone's accent(we all have them), our unions(We're not all union people. Some of us despise them as you do.) or any other useless matter, that's not worth the time of day discussing. Yes, these things have been said to me when I was down there, so it does happen. It's not a myth.

Some of us live at a faster pace and some of us live in more diverse areas. Maybe those are a couple of the reasons why we are so different from one another. I don't have all the answers, but know that they will not be found on this thread.

Never had a problem in NC, because I've never been there. I have heard it is a beautiful state and the people are nice and hope to one day visit.

Hope this came out the way it was intended. Very tired right now and have a headache from some of the posts here.

Peace please.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:09 AM

767 posts, read 2,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You don't get it, do you? To those of us who enjoy preserving our Southern customs, traditions and culture, we do not care if you care or not. We don't care if you are impressed or not. We don't care if anyone likes it or not, either. It is our thing - our history, our heritage. Not yours. Even if you are a Southerner and you are not "into" Southern history and traditions - we don't care. Your business. Just like how we decide to preserve our history and culture is our business.

If I am into Southern cooking, herbal medicine, BBQ, square dancing and you aren't - who the heck cares? We all choose to live as we see fit. If you aren't into "being Southern" - so what?

I agree with what you are saying here. But what I am saying is that, all too often, I have encountered situations where people try to cram the whole Southern thing down your throat (e.g., will not let you forget for a second that they are from the South and try to convince you that everything in the South is better than anywhere else). This is the baloney that I am talking about.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:38 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,113,574 times
No, I don't.

When I say Northerners think in "WE," I mean they think of themselves as citizens of the entire United States.

Southerners are more likely to divide the country into North and South.

And most Southerners who identify characteristics as "Yankee" are actually identifying NY/NJ stereotypes as personified by the NJ Housewives show. I don't know anyone like them, and I hope I never do. I don't watch the show, but I can't even stand watching them when they're doing promos on other shows.

And flipping tables is not acceptable anywhere. If it wasn't so bizarre, it would not have been edited into the final TV show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottePirateFan View Post
You really dont see any irony in that statement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina