Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 06:09 PM

249 posts, read 304,968 times

Advertisements

I wish Justice would say "how"' she's planning this will be resolved. Attaching it to the budget or moving along a clean bill...there are so many conflicting stories.

Apodaca has done the biggest flip flop I've seen any of the legislators do so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infowanted View Post
As I mentioned earlier I emailed the local media in my metro area concerning the stalemate and fight to restore benefits. I FINALLY have my first response to an email as I copied the offices of McComas, Justice, Hamilton (DEM) and Goolsby to the media emails:

From: Rep. Carolyn H. Justice <Carolyn.Justice@ncleg.net>
To: Danielle Gordon <daniellelgordon@yahoo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 4:23 PM
Subject: RE: Wilmington Republicans hold UI extended benefits hostage... see link

[LEFT][SIZE=2]Danielle,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]I'll tell you what is really embarrassing - it is when you are accused of something you did not do and you can not even defend yourself. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Just because a legislators is on a committee does not mean they have anything to do with bills coming before that committee or when those bills will be heard. No one on that committee has ever consulted with me about this bill and when it should or should not be heard.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]I am one of many Republicans who would love to see these 37,000 people get those benefits and I have made my concern about this known to my leaders and many of my caucus members.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]I am working to move this forward and it will be solved - I pray it will be soon.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Rep Carolyn Justice[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]From: Danielle Gordon [mailto:daniellelgordon@yahoo.com] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 12:45 PM[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]To: breakingnews@starnewsonline.com[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Cc: Rep. Danny McComas; Rep. Carolyn H. Justice; Rep. Susi Hamilton[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Subject: Wilmington Republicans hold UI extended benefits hostage... see link[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[/LEFT]

This story written by the former ESC Commissioner was published in today's N&O:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/05/17/1202236/man-made-disaster-for-long-term.html

New Hanover County's own representatives Danny McComas and Carolyn Justice are two Republicans blocking a clean bill for extended benefits to be passed. In fact, Danny McComas is CHAIRMAN of the Commerce and Job Development Committee in which the bill HB 676 is being held without discussion. Ms. Justice is also a member of this committee.

While Wilmington media reports on bickering town commissioners I ask that you also shed light on this ongoing stalemate in the General Assembly that has tens of thousands depressed, without food and wondering where they will live in the next two weeks as June 1st bills become due. Contact the NC Justice Center, Sarah Ovaska and many others there are fighting for the unemployed... they've published MANY stories that will help us make this wrong corrected. ESPECIALLY since it was us.... we are the people who elected McComas and Justice. How embarassing!

Thank you for listening

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 06:10 PM

230 posts, read 275,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleman73 View Post
I think that has something to do with it. There are so many people in that program, I would suspect they used all their funds before I could get registered for summer. Between studying, finals,my father being in and out of the hospital, and stressing over these EB, I probably waitied to long for the summer semester.

There is that, and that the funding is county by county, not WIA wide. So it is possible that one county has money and another does not.. I really need to ride to the ESC and talk to someone about the WIA.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:12 PM

264 posts, read 364,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infowanted View Post
As I mentioned earlier I emailed the local media in my metro area concerning the stalemate and fight to restore benefits. I FINALLY have my first response to an email as I copied the offices of McComas, Justice, Hamilton (DEM) and Goolsby to the media emails:

From: Rep. Carolyn H. Justice <Carolyn.Justice@ncleg.net>
To: Danielle Gordon <daniellelgordon@yahoo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 4:23 PM
Subject: RE: Wilmington Republicans hold UI extended benefits hostage... see link

[LEFT][SIZE=2]Danielle,
I'll tell you what is really embarrassing - it is when you are accused of something you did not do and you can not even defend yourself.
Just because a legislators is on a committee does not mean they have anything to do with bills coming before that committee or when those bills will be heard. No one on that committee has ever consulted with me about this bill and when it should or should not be heard.
I am one of many Republicans who would love to see these 37,000 people get those benefits and I have made my concern about this known to my leaders and many of my caucus members.
I am working to move this forward and it will be solved - I pray it will be soon.
Rep Carolyn Justice
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]From: Danielle Gordon [mailto:daniellelgordon@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 12:45 PM
To: breakingnews@starnewsonline.com
Cc: Rep. Danny McComas; Rep. Carolyn H. Justice; Rep. Susi Hamilton
Subject: Wilmington Republicans hold UI extended benefits hostage... see link
[/SIZE]

[/LEFT]

This story written by the former ESC Commissioner was published in today's N&O:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/05/17/1202236/man-made-disaster-for-long-term.html

New Hanover County's own representatives Danny McComas and Carolyn Justice are two Republicans blocking a clean bill for extended benefits to be passed. In fact, Danny McComas is CHAIRMAN of the Commerce and Job Development Committee in which the bill HB 676 is being held without discussion. Ms. Justice is also a member of this committee.

While Wilmington media reports on bickering town commissioners I ask that you also shed light on this ongoing stalemate in the General Assembly that has tens of thousands depressed, without food and wondering where they will live in the next two weeks as June 1st bills become due. Contact the NC Justice Center, Sarah Ovaska and many others there are fighting for the unemployed... they've published MANY stories that will help us make this wrong corrected. ESPECIALLY since it was us.... we are the people who elected McComas and Justice. How embarassing!

Thank you for listening

I believe that Representative Justice is correct in that members of a committee have no power to act on a bill until the leaders set the ball rolling. It kind of sounds like she is on our side and would like to vote for EB, but then again do Republicans ever vote their own minds if it goes against what their leaders want? They seem to be one huge, awkward, lifeform operating in lockstep.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:17 PM

157 posts, read 182,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledps View Post
Perhaps it is school defendant on if they have money or not?
school defendant...lol, my bad.

But yeah, I preregistered for summer as a continuing student back at the beginning of April I believe. I have been in the program since being laid off as an IT manager. My WIA coucilor is pretty cool and helped me first get in the program when it was supposed to be full. They had a drop out or something like that and he called me a few days before spring semester started last year and said I could get in if I wanted. I made too much $ on UI for a pell grant so I have student loans but can get nothing for summer.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:

But yeah, I preregistered for summer as a continuing student back at the beginning of April I believe. I have been in the program since being laid off as an IT manager. My WIA coucilor is pretty cool and helped me first get in the program when it was supposed to be full. They had a drop out or something like that and he called me a few days before spring semester started last year and said I could get in if I wanted. I made too much $ on UI for a pell grant so I have student loans but can get nothing for summer.

I got lucky last year, I was a junior in CS/IT double major so was able to get the SMART grant as well for 1 semester.. That allowed me to put aside some of my loans for summer school. Unfortunatly the Obama administration is doing away with the SMART grant and instead upping funding for the pell grant more.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:20 PM

264 posts, read 364,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaylin View Post
If you get full pell grant, no. If you get partial pell grants (which I may actually still be in) maybe, depends on where you go to school.

WIA is only for 2 years of college, I am in a 4 years institution at the moment, however if you can show you will graduate from a 4 year college they are suposed to help with that as well.

If I was in Raleigh I probably would have been ok, however when I got laid off I lost my house, was not able to afford the rent on just UI, also lost my truck for the same reason. I move to Fayeteville since I was able to look for a job from there and go to school at faytech. After a year of their and fighting with WIA people in cumberland county I moved to Robeson, as I was told if you can show you would graduate in 2 years you can get WIA at a 4 year school.. The first time I was in the cashiers office at UNCP I actually sat next to a ladyon WIA at UNCP so that confirmed it was true.

The 2 biggest problems I ran into at the robeson WIA are that I was not planning to stay in robeson, even though by that point I was a resident, and I was a single white male living in robeson.

The second is the same reason I can not get foodstamps.
Does WIA pay the school directly for tuition, fees, and books?

Old 05-17-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:

Sorry something I forgot, did you happen to talk to the FinAid office about adjusting your qualification for the pell grant and other grants? I did and they adjusted it, but only so I got 300 in pell, but also 1400 in lottery money a semester.. Being that you probably go to a 2 year school you will not get the lottery, but every little bit of pell helps.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcde12 View Post
Does WIA pay the school directly for tuition, fees, and books?

Yes, you have to get a form from the school and take it to the WIA officials. You will have to ask one of the 2 that actually have been able to get in what it looks like if you want specifics. I so far have not been able to get in.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:32 PM

157 posts, read 182,235 times
The WIA office in Asheville is at the JobLink Career center on the AB Tech campus. They take care of all my stuff inter-office and just give the info to the 3rd party sponsor official at ab-tech. It's all pretty smooth and streamlined.

As far as getting them to do an adjustment for Pell, they couldn't last year because I still had to claim my salary from my IT job and the portion of that from last year and my UI had me way over the limit for pell. That should change in the fall, but not gotten a firm number yet because of federal and state budget negotiations. Fingers are crossed all around.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
The WIA office in Asheville is at the JobLink Career center on the AB Tech campus. They take care of all my stuff inter-office and just give the info to the 3rd party sponsor official at ab-tech. It's all pretty smooth and streamlined.

As far as getting them to do an adjustment for Pell, they couldn't last year because I still had to claim my salary from my IT job and the portion of that from last year and my UI had me way over the limit for pell. That should change in the fall, but not gotten a firm number yet because of federal and state budget negotiations. Fingers are crossed all around.

That is odd, in 2009, counting my pay(before I was laid off), severence and UI (which did not kick in until Augest) I made 85000 and UNCP was able to adjust so that I got some pell grant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina