Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 12:40 PM

264 posts, read 313,060 times

Advertisements

Please elaborate more on your being overpaid...what tier were you in that it was established you were overpaid? If possible can you quote how you were notified and what it said? How did you have to reimburse?

I know that there were a small number of isolated instances of overpayment but I am under the understanding that those cases were handled individually and that there was no instance of someone having to reimburse unless it was a falsication of documentation. I have been lucky to be able to speak with someone at NCESC that is knowledgeable so I'll be glad to help if you will elaborate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revitup View Post
Have any of you been overpaid and had to pay it back?Did you get the money back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laidoffafter50 View Post
Interstate claimants are eligible for EB if the State in which you reside and North Carolina are in an EB period. SC is in rollback, making you eligible for any remaining EB in your account. SC would have to trigger off again before you would lose any benefits from NC and you would receive only a maximum of two weeks unless SC enacted another program. Hope this helps. It would be the same for all interstate claims.

@laidoffafter50 Even if I am still in Tier 3? Do I have an EB account yet?

Old 06-06-2011, 01:28 PM

59 posts, read 74,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quora37 View Post
Cool thanks a lot. Hmm unfortunately I do not see anything that says about EUC one way or the other.... I hope this doesn't mean that I'm ineligible
When did your UI expire or has it? It may not have posted yet...I do not know your circumstance, but you should be eligible, I think.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:39 PM

44 posts, read 63,779 times
I finally got through to ESC & my claim for EB was opened. There was never any notice of when my EUC ended on the ESC site, so my last tier-4 payment was for the week ended 5/29. I did file yesterday, & my claim was accepted but no other message. When I checked my profile I saw that benefits were exhausted. I guess I'll know tomorrow whether I get a check for the week ending 6/5.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:02 PM

9 posts, read 12,623 times
I've been reading here for several weeks but never posted until today. Has anyone received all of their back payments yet? I logged in this morning, and they had processed through May 7th, and that money is in the bank (Thank God!) but I'm still owed for the rest of May. I've been filing online every week. Do you think the rest will show up later on?

Old 06-06-2011, 03:15 PM

244 posts, read 311,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderGirl64 View Post
@laidoffafter50 Even if I am still in Tier 3? Do I have an EB account yet?
You will enter Tier 4 and then if still eligible; will be certified for EB. In theory you have EB eligibility for 20 weeks of federal benefits now, if you continue to file and remained unemployed/underemployed for 99 weeks following your initial claim.

Old 06-06-2011, 03:16 PM

12 posts, read 14,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soleprovider51 View Post
Please elaborate more on your being overpaid...what tier were you in that it was established you were overpaid? If possible can you quote how you were notified and what it said? How did you have to reimburse?

I know that there were a small number of isolated instances of overpayment but I am under the understanding that those cases were handled individually and that there was no instance of someone having to reimburse unless it was a falsication of documentation. I have been lucky to be able to speak with someone at NCESC that is knowledgeable so I'll be glad to help if you will elaborate.
I only realized it when in July 2010 they started sending checks for 93.00,93.00,157.00,200.00 it was 515.00 so I called them and was told that my weekly checks were smaller due to them taking back the amount they said I was overpaid due to their error.Later I heard on the news that Gov Perdue wasn't taking money back soooooo I called and was told that they were sending checks out to those who had money taken for overpayment.I was told to expect a check in Sept.Never came so I called back as well as emailed and again was told I would get it back-$1400.00 never came,I emailed again and was called back in October and told that I wouldn't get it back because it was taken from me before Sept 28th 2010?Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.Thank you,Soleprovider!

Old 06-07-2011, 01:20 AM

11 posts, read 31,803 times
Someone who I know has been receiving unemployment benefits for almost 2-1/2 years (approx 125 weeks). Is this possible? I thought that 99 weeks was the absolute most that a person could draw? I have told this person that they should check into this because I believe they are being paid in error and there will come a time when the ESC will ask them to pay the money back, at which time they won't have the money because they are spending it (they have a family and need this money to live on). However, I don't want this person to get into a situation where they are told they were overpaid and they must pay back the money immediately and the person no longer has the money. Could this happen?

For the past several weeks, this person gets a message when they do their online weekly certification, stating that they have only 2 weeks or less of benefits remaining; however to this point they have not been cut off. When this person views their claim, it states "Benefits Exhausted"; however they are still drawing weekly benefits! I am concerned for this person...is it not safe to say that there has been a "glitch" and the money is not this person's to keep and she should report it?

Old 06-07-2011, 02:10 AM

162 posts, read 193,461 times
If this person has a part-time job, that is subtracted from their benefits and they will be on it longer.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:50 AM

264 posts, read 364,001 times
The Republicans are still squawking about Gov. Perdue usurping their authority in releasing EB benefits:

Jobless benefits for 47,000 in NC start flowing - BusinessWeek

Near the end of the article is a statement by Harry Payne, former chairman of the ESC, who says the Labor Department wouldn't have released the money " . . . without a thorough judgment of the situation. For courts to stop the benefits, a case would have to come from someone who can show injury," Payne said. "That could include Republican legislative leaders, but that's unlikely," Payne said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina