Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2008, 08:12 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,896,920 times

Advertisements

D & P -

Good advice from Chef & also, if I read you correctly, you are 71 & your mom is still here, so you & your mom are proving that you've great longevity in your family. Are you aware that at age 65, college becomes free for everyone? With a very long life still ahead of you, you may have a lot more working time, if that's what you'd like to do. School may be an option you'd consider, even if PT, nights or a 1-yr program, if you feel it will help to increase your finances.

Perhaps even a few computer classes or night school typing classes can lead to freelance data entry/typing for a higher salary. When I worked for a large law firm, we hired night typists beginning at $28/hr, to type documents from 6pm-4am, 4 nights/wk, every week. I've known 2 people who had several bookkeeping classes & balanced the books for sole proprietors or very small operations, such as acupuncturists, chiropractors, etc. They were paid a high hourly wage & worked about 8-hrs/wk for individual outfits.

I don't know what your local market will pay, but several people onboard offer petsitting services.

Perhaps others can offer some local suggestions, but I'd think that there are local people who would like to hire a competent, industrious, PT person.

Best of luck to you...

Old 02-23-2008, 02:23 AM

107,129 posts, read 109,450,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
If they aren't giving you the support a child should give a parent in need why feel guilty to send presents you can't afford?

I put myself into deep debt when I was 20 buying Musical Equipment. I was sure it would pay off with a record deal but it never surfaced. I spent the next 8 years of my life paying it off with the help of one of the debt help companies. 10 years from paying off I now enjoy top notch credit ratings and have little debt.

Maybe you guys could try one of these companies that work with the creditors to lower your apr%. It hurts your credit further for the time being but it sounds like that won't matter much to you right now. I sent a friend in that direction when he was struggling to pay off his school loan and now he is debt free, repairing his credit with a new card and happy.

i was thinking the same thing about the kids and the gifts

Old 02-23-2008, 06:41 PM

344 posts, read 606,204 times
Hi everyone. I'm thinking along the same lines as daveandpenny and thinking about a move to SC. I grew up in this area and have lived here my whole life, but I'm at a crossroads right now. Having to leave this area and sell the house I grew up in would be the third hardest thing I would have to do in my life (burying my parents were the first two), but, at this point, would probably be the best. The whole northeast is losing population and a lot of people are moving south for lower taxes, lower gas prices, lower house prices, weather (if you like it warm), so it is not just PA or NEPA. Getting back to NEPA, it is a beautiful area, relatively safe and home. But, here are the problems I see. Small-mindness has been a problem that has continued from generation to generation in a lot of areas. One town in particular, north of Scranton, has chased out major companies, ex, IBM, since the 1950's, because they didn't want their workers leaving their paltry salaries behind for better ones. This same town just rejected a plan to have part of the town redeveloped by a developer who was willing to come in and help fix up the town (bring in new stores, etc), but the majority on the town council rejected it for the same reasons their parents and grandparents did so many years ago. This town is dying, so any development would have helped. It would have never become a big, booming metropolis, but, at least would have given some life to it. This area is good for people who want a career in healthcare (aging population), lawyers or for people "who know someone." I finally got into my chosen field (media/communications) over 5 years ago, thinking, "great, I finally made it and didn't have to leave the area." But, that unfortunately is not true. I have gone as far as I can go at my company, have looked into the public relations/corporate communications field, have looked everywhere from the Scranton Times classifieds, Scranton Chamber of Commerce website, CareerBuilder, job fairs, contacts, etc., ...... there is nothing here. As far as looking at packed parking lots at malls, Red Lobster/Olive Garden, stores in the Dickson City area, I often wondered that myself and have come to the conclusion that most are living on plastic. A co-worker's girlfriend works as a loan officer at a bank and says people take 2nd mortgages out on their homes just to buy that Lexus, BMW. Right now, I'm "lucky" I have a credit card to pay for necessities like groceries and gas, because paying for oil every month has taken such a huge chunk out of my paycheck, I have no choice. And I never had a credit card up until last year (I'm in my 30's) because I never wanted to be in the position in which I'm in. I live within my means and haven't seen the inside of a Red Lobster since my birthday last year. Long John's please. People are becoming more rude each year. I have no trespassing signs on my property, but, I have still have snowmobilers ride through my lawn. People hover on your bumper because you're not driving fast enough for them, especially a day like yesterday when we had a snowstorm and roads were not plowed at sometimes.

Bottom line, I would like to have the optimism that SWB has, and maybe, you'll be fortunate, I hope you are. But, I have lived some in my 30 or so years and know this area most likely will never develop the way you think it will. Look at Pike County, the fastest growing county in PA, thanks to NY/NJ residents moving in. But, then look where NY/NJ residents work - NY/NJ. There are no jobs with the salaries they are used to. Industrial parks in Pike and Wayne counties sit empty. No company is in a big hurry to locate here, with the exception possibly of Monroe County. And if they are, it is usually a warehouse, call center, etc., that is paying $7-12 an hour. Hardly enough to live comfortably on and save for retirement. Just my opinion.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:39 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,909,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie2008 View Post
Hi everyone. I'm thinking along the same lines as daveandpenny and thinking about a move to SC. I grew up in this area and have lived here my whole life, but I'm at a crossroads right now. Having to leave this area and sell the house I grew up in would be the third hardest thing I would have to do in my life (burying my parents were the first two), but, at this point, would probably be the best. The whole northeast is losing population and a lot of people are moving south for lower taxes, lower gas prices, lower house prices, weather (if you like it warm), so it is not just PA or NEPA. Getting back to NEPA, it is a beautiful area, relatively safe and home. But, here are the problems I see. Small-mindness has been a problem that has continued from generation to generation in a lot of areas. One town in particular, north of Scranton, has chased out major companies, ex, IBM, since the 1950's, because they didn't want their workers leaving their paltry salaries behind for better ones. This same town just rejected a plan to have part of the town redeveloped by a developer who was willing to come in and help fix up the town (bring in new stores, etc), but the majority on the town council rejected it for the same reasons their parents and grandparents did so many years ago. This town is dying, so any development would have helped. It would have never become a big, booming metropolis, but, at least would have given some life to it. This area is good for people who want a career in healthcare (aging population), lawyers or for people "who know someone." I finally got into my chosen field (media/communications) over 5 years ago, thinking, "great, I finally made it and didn't have to leave the area." But, that unfortunately is not true. I have gone as far as I can go at my company, have looked into the public relations/corporate communications field, have looked everywhere from the Scranton Times classifieds, Scranton Chamber of Commerce website, CareerBuilder, job fairs, contacts, etc., ...... there is nothing here. As far as looking at packed parking lots at malls, Red Lobster/Olive Garden, stores in the Dickson City area, I often wondered that myself and have come to the conclusion that most are living on plastic. A co-worker's girlfriend works as a loan officer at a bank and says people take 2nd mortgages out on their homes just to buy that Lexus, BMW. Right now, I'm "lucky" I have a credit card to pay for necessities like groceries and gas, because paying for oil every month has taken such a huge chunk out of my paycheck, I have no choice. And I never had a credit card up until last year (I'm in my 30's) because I never wanted to be in the position in which I'm in. I live within my means and haven't seen the inside of a Red Lobster since my birthday last year. Long John's please. People are becoming more rude each year. I have no trespassing signs on my property, but, I have still have snowmobilers ride through my lawn. People hover on your bumper because you're not driving fast enough for them, especially a day like yesterday when we had a snowstorm and roads were not plowed at sometimes.

Bottom line, I would like to have the optimism that SWB has, and maybe, you'll be fortunate, I hope you are. But, I have lived some in my 30 or so years and know this area most likely will never develop the way you think it will. Look at Pike County, the fastest growing county in PA, thanks to NY/NJ residents moving in. But, then look where NY/NJ residents work - NY/NJ. There are no jobs with the salaries they are used to. Industrial parks in Pike and Wayne counties sit empty. No company is in a big hurry to locate here, with the exception possibly of Monroe County. And if they are, it is usually a warehouse, call center, etc., that is paying $7-12 an hour. Hardly enough to live comfortably on and save for retirement. Just my opinion.
Good Luck on your move to SC if you decide to do it. Do your homework and check everything out. There are things to consider though, it is actually more expensive there and they have been in a huge drought due to water diversion by the government for agriculture. As the population grows there water and other necessities will become more scarce as well as jobs.

For jobs you may have to look into Agriculture or manufacturing things like paper or cotton.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:23 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,510,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
Good Luck on your move to SC if you decide to do it. Do your homework and check everything out. There are things to consider though, it is actually more expensive there and they have been in a huge drought due to water diversion by the government for agriculture. As the population grows there water and other necessities will become more scarce as well as jobs.

For jobs you may have to look into Agriculture or manufacturing things like paper or cotton.
Chefkey - You may be right on your assessment of SC. Unless you're near a major population area, SC in a lot of areas would make the worst parts of NEPA look like a shining metropolis. We contantly tell people on the Carolinas Forum don't come down here unless you have a firm job offer.

Jackie2008 - Your perceptions on the state of NEPA and the Northeast in general are also spot on. The entire Northeast is starting to fall apart for various reasons. Housing affordability is a disaster for NJ, NY and CT. Notice that there is no one from the Scranton area looking for houses in Ridgewood NJ or other similar Bergen county towns where a nice 4 bd 3 ba costs $800,000 with 20K property taxes. The NEPA region is stuck in a semi-permanent "rust belt" mentality that is nearly impossible to overcome. Even the NJ job market is no longer creating high-paying jobs anymore. The Northeast in general is starting to lose population because homes are overpriced in many areas and people perceive the South as the "next big thing". As people leave, I suspect the next census will result in further declines in congressional representation and a resulting loss in political clout to deal with the local problems.

What could really hurt NEPA would be a serious energy crisis where gasoline ends up being over $5 or greater a gallon making the commute prohibitively expensive, wjth the result of Monroe and Pike Counties being not as attractive as they currently are. The NEPA area would do well to court as many new employers as it can get, in the event of such a scenario, to strengthen its own tenuous employment situation. I think by the end of the year, gas will be closing in on $4 a gallon. The future for all of us is getting to be a little shaky!

Old 02-24-2008, 06:34 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,965,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
I have lived here for over 25 years and my mother was born and raised here and her family has been here for over a hundred years. Typical NEW YORKER, you buy a house here and feel that you gives you some kind of right to come in here and tell the residents or LOCALS what they should and shouldn't be complaining about. I have watched this happen at the NJ shore my whole life

I have a negative attitude towards to the leadership in the area or more particularly Scranton. You have yet to see me bash anything that is not tied to the gov't in Scranton. I love it here thats why I am so outspoken about it.

You owned your home in Clarks Summit for a whole 2 years and you already know soo much about the area that you feel that you should tell me that I should move? Four years ago while you were watching cellblock D I was cleaning the river out of my house and two years ago while you were closing on your new home I was cleaning the river out again so please don't you think that your going to tell me what I should and should not do. I also live next to my elderly father that needs my help on a daily basis so I have my reasons for staying, just like you have your reasons for moving.

You and the rest of your transplant friends are not our saviors so please don't feel like you are and expect somekind of a thank you from us for moving here.

As far as your generalizations my parents lived in the North Pocono school district and thats where I grew up which then as now was the fastest growing school district due to transplants and I saw and continue to see the wonders they have done for that area.

I also worked and commuted to the NJ/NYC area for probably 12 years and my dad did it for 25 years. We maintained a house in NJ and a business there for over 40 years. Your generalization of Pennsyltuckey is just as bad.

I think maybe that you have proven the one generalization of the NYers that pops up whether here or the NJ shore, the minute they move somewhere they automatically think that they own that area and know whats right for everyone.
hmmmmmmmm...what a welcome tone...YOU SIMPLY RESENT THE CHANING DEMOGRAPHICS OF nepa. Many of the businesses that provide liveable wages have long been gone. If your outright nastiness gets out and appears to be relfective norm ,what corprate company would want to relocate here? Corpartions usually send currently employed developmental teams to an area while setting up shop...they come from somewhere else, why would they want to invest in an area that is so hositle to transplants?

Oh wait I get it, as long as you folks can get what YOU want to support YOUR area, it is all fine and dandy. Sounds so inviting...YOUR CITY NEEDS TO LEARN, YOU WANT INVESTORS, CHANGE YOUR MINDSET or things will never change. The current "locals" are not able to support the changes in the 21st century...with out "outsiders" YOUR city will continue to decline and become more and more of a GHETTO without "outsiders" making it that way.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:50 AM

344 posts, read 606,204 times
Thanks Chefkey for the good wishes and TheEmissary for the compliment. Yes, I intend to do my homework. I have a lot to figure out (sell my home and packing up/getting rid of 40+ years of stuff, etc.) before I would pull up stakes. I know that I have to have a job lined up before I would move. I was thinking about the Columbia area or even commuting to Charlotte,NC from Columbia. I visited the Columbia/Charleston area last year and liked it. I have to go down again for another visit and really get acquainted with everything necessary for a move. I have crazy hours now (up at 3am) to go to my job. On my way in to work, I listen to this show "Midnight Radio Network" on AM. It's focus is on truck-drivers (no, I'm not one -lol), but they talk about a lot of different topics, things going on in the news, etc. Anyway, one of the show's co-host's is originally from Buffalo, NY. He mentioned this past week how he and his wife moved down to Texas, where the show is based, 7 years ago, because of what TheEmissary said: the Northeast is falling apart. Not too many companies are relocating to the Northeast. It's sad, but, true.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:57 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,118,420 times
Lovinbloom I worked in East Orange for years and thats a GHETTO as you like to say, so I'm sure that I could handle the worst that Scranton could throw at me. Thanks for the advice.

I'm sorry that I just don't want to see our city turned into E. Stroudsburg or the poconos in general. Your "outsider" bretheren have done wonders for those areas.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:31 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,965,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Lovinbloom I worked in East Orange for years and thats a GHETTO as you like to say, so I'm sure that I could handle the worst that Scranton could throw at me. Thanks for the advice.

I'm sorry that I just don't want to see our city turned into E. Stroudsburg or the poconos in general. Your "outsider" bretheren have done wonders for those areas.
Ok...I will agree to disagree with your prespective, sorry.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:40 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,138,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
hmmmmmmmm...what a welcome tone...YOU SIMPLY RESENT THE CHANING DEMOGRAPHICS OF nepa. Many of the businesses that provide liveable wages have long been gone. If your outright nastiness gets out and appears to be relfective norm ,what corprate company would want to relocate here? Corpartions usually send currently employed developmental teams to an area while setting up shop...they come from somewhere else, why would they want to invest in an area that is so hositle to transplants?

Oh wait I get it, as long as you folks can get what YOU want to support YOUR area, it is all fine and dandy. Sounds so inviting...YOUR CITY NEEDS TO LEARN, YOU WANT INVESTORS, CHANGE YOUR MINDSET or things will never change. The current "locals" are not able to support the changes in the 21st century...with out "outsiders" YOUR city will continue to decline and become more and more of a GHETTO without "outsiders" making it that way.
"NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania