Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2009, 06:26 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times

Advertisements

I love my microplane zester except when I hurt myself with it, it leaves a bizarre grid work of wounds on my hand which has prompted people to ask me if I belong to an unusual cult.

I know what you mean about the death by leftovers. I was recently drowning in leftover pea soup. There just didn't seem enough to freeze, so I kept eating it. I have to learn that freezing one portion is a viable option.

Tonight for dinner I had some Brie, nice bread, apple slices, pecans. I chased it home with: Kensington Wine Market - Product Details: Adelina Passion Has Red Lips Tasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
WOW!! Le Creuset, microplane zester, filet mignon....you sound like QUITE the goor-mett there Commish!!!

My dinner tonight:

Had some leftover sweet potato casserole I've been eating for 2 days that I couldn't bear to eat yet again, so I added eggs, Tuscan Grill sauce, olive oil & flour/baking powder to make a batter & then dry-fried them. The original casserole was made with honey & pineapple, so it went well with the smoky heat of the sauce!!

We grew up poor & nothing EVER got thrown out!! If we were tired of eating it after 2 days we'd resurrect it in another shape or form!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 06:35 PM

703 posts, read 1,546,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I love my microplane zester except when I hurt myself with it, it leaves a bizarre grid work of wounds on my hand which has prompted people to ask me if I belong to an unusual cult.
Yeah, I'm only using it when I can manage a sturdy grip on whatever I'm zesting/grating. So lemons, limes, oranges, and fresh ginger root are fine. Garlic cloves-- no chance in hell will I put my fingers that close to the grates.

I essentially failed Knife Safety 101 two weeks ago, a mistake that cost me 7 stitches and a $75 copay. The culprit was 2-day old french bread and a 12 inch serrated bread knife that I decided to use to satisfy my midnight-craving for garlic bread. When I got home from the emergency room the next morning (I waited a very long time), I immediately cut up the french bread into cubes, threw them in the oven, and made croutons out of them. Commish, FTW!

Old 01-24-2009, 06:41 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,452,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
The Le Creuset was an unexpected and wonderful gift. Everything they say about it is true, but if you have to make due with another brand of enameled cast iron cookware, you probably won't be hurting much. The other tools I found absolutely necessary. They make my kitchen tasks so much easier.

And yeah, I'm a foodie. A bit of a neophyte foodie, but I'm a fast and enthusiastic learner.
LOL!!! I thought a "neophyte" was one of those Greek mythological ladies who were in love with themselves!!! (sorta like a "neocon"....) (never said I was a scholar...)

I love Le Creuset, but I can't see myself paying their prices!! I keep checking Home Goods 'cause every now & then they get a few in at big discounts!!

I love the "Flame" & "Caribbean" enamel color....so far they haven't had those....

Old 01-24-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post

I know what you mean about the death by leftovers. I was recently drowning in leftover pea soup. There just didn't seem enough to freeze, so I kept eating it. I have to learn that freezing one portion is a viable option.

Tonight for dinner I had some Brie, nice bread, apple slices, pecans. I chased it home with: Kensington Wine Market - Product Details: Adelina Passion Has Red Lips Tasty.
Ouch!! That musta hurt!!

Your dinner sounds wonderful!! I've got the fixin's for a nice Greek salad for tomorrow. I just got a big 2# block of feta from BJ's (8 dollars & change as opposed to the food stores at $6 for 6 oz) & I have to cut it up & portion freeze it.

I make a wicked baked brie with fig preserves & fresh basil!!

Old 01-24-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm only using it when I can manage a sturdy grip on whatever I'm zesting/grating. So lemons, limes, oranges, and fresh ginger root are fine. Garlic cloves-- no chance in hell will I put my fingers that close to the grates.

I essentially failed Knife Safety 101 two weeks ago, a mistake that cost me 7 stitches and a $75 copay. The culprit was 2-day old french bread and a 12 inch serrated bread knife that I decided to use to satisfy my midnight-craving for garlic bread. When I got home from the emergency room the next morning (I waited a very long time), I immediately cut up the french bread into cubes, threw them in the oven, and made croutons out of them. Commish, FTW!
A dull knife is your worst enemy in the kitchen!! Make sure y'all sharpen 'em methodically!!

Old 01-24-2009, 06:57 PM

703 posts, read 1,546,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
LOL!!! I thought a "neophyte" was one of those Greek mythological ladies who were in love with themselves!!! (sorta like a "neocon"....) (never said I was a scholar...)

I love Le Creuset, but I can't see myself paying their prices!! I keep checking Home Goods 'cause every now & then they get a few in at big discounts!!

I love the "Flame" & "Caribbean" enamel color....so far they haven't had those....
I went with the traditional flame color. 5.5 qt. Round French Oven and the 3.5 qt. (Yeah, I have two. )

Some people might not understand the orange unless they're also foodies, but I'm okay with that.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:03 PM

Croutons are good. You're right; never microplane garlic cloves. I've failed sharp and pointy tool 101, 102, 201, all of them. Most recently I sliced off part of the pad of my thumb in such a way that would make the FBI think that I must be guilty of something. I've micro planed myself, mandolined myself and once I managed to stab myself in the thigh with a steak knife. That one hurt. Still gives me chills when I think about it.

When I win the $287 million lottery, someone else is cooking.

Congratulations on the Le Creuset. I have only one piece, the 3.5 qt French Oven, but it's my baby. It's almost 30 years old.

Quote:

Old 01-24-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
(Yeah, I have two. )
Show-off.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:32 PM

Mine is the Flame color too. Maybe they only had one color then. I love the Caribbean. If I had those two colors, I'd just have to hunt for a Kiwi piece.

I check TJMaxx for for cookware and get a really sweet deal now and then.

Quote:
I went with the traditional flame color. 5.5 qt. Round French Oven and the 3.5 qt. (Yeah, I have two. )

Some people might not understand the orange unless they're also foodies, but I'm okay with that.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:41 AM

Default Baked Pears

Speaking of BJ's, when we were there I bought a bag of pears & made this yesterday too!!

12 pears
1/4 tsp cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
10 pieces crystallized ginger
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 cups water
1/2 stick butter
1 tsp vanilla

I cut a small piece off the bottom of the pears so they would stand upright. Then stood them in 2" deep baking pans (6 to a pan) & put 5 pieces of ginger on the bottom of each pan. (left the peels & stems on...makes a nicer presentation...)

In a bowl, I mixed the rest of the ingredients, microwaved about 2 1/2 minutes 'til the butter was melted & spooned the liquid over the pears.

Then into a 350 oven (uncovered) for 1 hour.

Deee-lish!!

I gave 1 pan to my Cuz to enjoy...no, we're not gluttons...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania