Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2009, 05:11 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I grew up monetarily challenged also.My mom made a dish...I call.poverty pancake. Just scramble 6 eggs in a bowl, salt to taste,add pinch salt, and tablespoon of water.Then add enough bread crumbs till it is a thin pancake batter consistency.Let stand 5 or more minutes. Then spoon into frying pan(oil pan first) and cook as you would french toast. You can eat plain or top with syrup etc. my dad made a fritta. Basically hash browns with beaten eggs poured over them just before the potatoes were browned.Sometimes he added bacon,onions,ham etc....
LOL!! I can tell you're upbringing's like mine...take whatever you can find in the house that's still palatable & add eggs!!!

Quote:
I REMEMBER MY MOM MAKING A DISH SHE CALLED...baa....baa....seriously.It was basically potato pancake mix/batter with crumbled bacon added and baked in the oven. Not fried "and I helped" lol...
LOL!!! "baa...baa..."??!!??!! btw...you just showed your age w/ that "Shake 'n' Bake" reference... (I just showed mine by knowing what the hell you were talking about!!)

Quote:
Kluski noodles with the cabbage and ham.My mom used to fry cabbage and stew it with flour, she also stewed fresh green beans by frying in butter and browning gravy into it. She was Lithuanian.
My family was Czech/Slovak, but from what I've seen, the recipes are extremely similar between the ethnic groups. They just have different unpronouncable names!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 05:27 PM

703 posts, read 1,546,971 times
No offense but you guys are grossing me out lol.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
No offense but you guys are grossing me out lol.
Wanna little baa...baaa to go with your halushki Commishky???

Old 05-02-2009, 05:54 PM

Default Dinner Tonite...

I came up with 2 dishes to use up stuff I've had in the fridge...(hopefully Commish will be able to contain his disgust...)

1)Black Bean Salad

3 cans black beans-drained
1 large onion-diced
Olive oil
Seasoned rice vinegar
Cumin
Salt

Mix it all together & chill.

2) Broccoli Cream Soup

1 head broccoli- chopped into small chunks including stems
1 large carrot- sliced thin
5 cloves garlic- chopped
1 cup 1/2 & 1/2
Salt
Pepper

In a saucepan, add water to just cover 1st 3 items. Boil 'til soft & most water has evaporated (about 20 minutes).

Mash the mixture with a potato masher (or fancy electric gadget if you have one...) & add last 3 ingredients. Continue mashing over low heat 'til 1/2 & 1/2 is incorporated & mixture starts to boil. Great with a hearty bread!!

Enjoy!!

Old 05-02-2009, 07:13 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Wanna little baa...baaa to go with your halushki Commishky???
I'LL HAVE TO GET MY BABUSHKA OUT........LOL..............

Old 05-02-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I'LL HAVE TO GET MY BABUSHKA OUT........LOL..............
Thanks for the visual Granny P2S!!!

Old 05-02-2009, 07:43 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Quote:
Thanks for the visual Granny P2S!!!
YOU WELCOME.LOL. THANX AGAIN FOR RENAISSANCE FOUND MORE SONGS.WHERE THEY DO A TRIBUTE TO GENESIS(PHIL COLLINS IS AWFUL LIVE)......LOL....... CHECK VIDEO SEARCH ENGINE. www.VideoSurf.com .........great movies and tv also.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:35 AM

703 posts, read 1,546,971 times
Quote:
I came up with 2 dishes to use up stuff I've had in the fridge...(hopefully Commish will be able to contain his disgust...)

1)Black Bean Salad

3 cans black beans-drained
1 large onion-diced
Olive oil
Seasoned rice vinegar
Cumin
Salt
This looks non-Lithuanian so I'm good.

That looks great actually. I make something similar with diced red and yellow peppers and fresh parsley added. The colors look fiery like lava/volcano. And instead of the olive oil, rice vinegar, cumin, and salt vinaigrette you have there I make one with olive-oil, lime juice, cumin, cayenne, honey, and salt.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
This looks non-Lithuanian so I'm good.

That looks great actually. I make something similar with diced red and yellow peppers and fresh parsley added. The colors look fiery like lava/volcano. And instead of the olive oil, rice vinegar, cumin, and salt vinaigrette you have there I make one with olive-oil, lime juice, cumin, cayenne, honey, and salt.
They say that what a person cooks reflects their personality....

You must be hot & sour!!!

Old 05-03-2009, 05:55 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
LOL!!! "baa...baa..."??!!??!! btw...you just showed your age w/ that "Shake 'n' Bake" reference... (I just showed mine by knowing what the hell you were talking about!!)
What's worse, that was "invented", marketed in our lifetime. I remember that little girl too.

I made halushki a few weeks ago and nobody else wanted any. It took me 3 days to choke it all down. I didn't know that I was supposed to add it to scrambled eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania