Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2015, 12:44 PM

30,531 posts, read 16,231,137 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised that one made such a big hit! They have some ancestry stuff, including locations of old cemetaries.

anyway, here it is again.

Last edited by Yac; 12-16-2020 at 01:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 12:45 PM

I like this one better.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:46 PM

Old 09-13-2015, 12:48 PM

can't you just see the ghosts hanging out through the windows?

Old 09-13-2015, 12:55 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
PAhippo,

These latest pictures explain why that house held up so well over time. Many structures would have collapsed years ago. I know that it's days are numbered. But it looks like it has a metal roof. The pine needles don't stick and the moss does not grow - which, in turn, promotes small trees that penetrate the shingles with their roots. The foundation is disintegrating, the porch fell off, windows/doors are missing; but the structure has survived because of an old galvanized roof. Great advertisement for metal roofs.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:05 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Interesting reading. Now on the bottom of that page, in the link, James had twelve death certificates, two birth certificates, five marriage licenses and eight divorces! He must have been pretty ambitious!

By the way; I had a good friend named Smithers. Also a very interesting character. Before the advent of the automobile head counters (the old census takers) would ride their horse to your farm/residence and verbally take down you information - they did not write it down until they returned home. So there is a possibility that Smithers and Smethers share a distant relative. My last name they really butchered with many different spellings. This recording information back at the office/home could also explain discrepancies on deeds and other official documentation.
He was married twice, but I'm not sure how many times you can die. They probably belong to Uncle, cousin or nephew James.

I'm sure that the Smethers, Smithers and Smothers are related in some way.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
PAhippo,

These latest pictures explain why that house held up so well over time. Many structures would have collapsed years ago. I know that it's days are numbered. But it looks like it has a metal roof. The pine needles don't stick and the moss does not grow - which, in turn, promotes small trees that penetrate the shingles with their roots. The foundation is disintegrating, the porch fell off, windows/doors are missing; but the structure has survived because of an old galvanized roof. Great advertisement for metal roofs.

That's a different one than the little one in the other 2 posts-just to clarify.

Yea, the 2nd one, 3 shots, always aroused my curiosity. It's obvious (maybe not in the photos) that somebody at one time lived in it and loved it. But they're gone, the house is almost gone-maybe completely by now, and it's just one of those things I'll never know.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:48 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
It definitely looks worse from the other side--if that's possible. I think a standard rectangular house was built and an addition added later. That happened surprisingly often.

I love to look at old houses.

Old 09-25-2015, 04:45 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
That's a different one than the little one in the other 2 posts-just to clarify.

Yea, the 2nd one, 3 shots, always aroused my curiosity. It's obvious (maybe not in the photos) that somebody at one time lived in it and loved it. But they're gone, the house is almost gone-maybe completely by now, and it's just one of those things I'll never know.
A long time ago I promised you a picture of the waterfalls on my mother's property. I kept forgetting to take the camera when I visited. I did yesterday; however there is not a lot of water going over it because we have been pretty dry lately.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:58 AM

Not surprised-it's normally a dry time of year.

I can hear the water blurbling over the stones. Thanks, fisheye.

and no garbage in sight! sigh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania