Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 11:03 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
So we're all agreed then this is a hellhole we stay in just because of the jobs?
LOL of course not. If we all agreed, then this thread wouldn't have 6 pages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 11:06 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,093,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
So we're all agreed then this is a hellhole we stay in just because of the jobs? I must live a separate reality down here in Mount Vernon. I actually enjoy walking through the woods down to the river (even with the bugs and humidity) or driving up the parkway to Old Town. Guess it's cause I'm just a bumpkin who doesn't get out of the area much and don't know any better.

Maybe I'm just happy living in a place where it doesn't hurt to breathe.
Well, I'm pretty happy living here, too, but experience shows that any post on this sub-forum with the subtext of "count your blessings" is just asking for it. This area is not for everyone, and folks who are unhappy will not gladly surrender one of the safe outlets for their frustration. And I will confess that NoVa is the type of place that makes one second-guess a decision to take a summer vacation, because you can't help but wish you could be home taking advantage of the less crowded roads during the summer.

I will also say that major-league griping from someone who aspires to teach in FCPS or another local jurisdiction, as reflected in one response to your post, gives me the willies. I want enthusiastic teachers for my kids who are looking to make a meaningful contribution to a school community, not folks who act like they've been conscripted to serve in the Russian Army and will bolt at the first opportunity. I hope they are extremely good at compartmentalizing, or leave before school starts in September and let someone else take their place.

Last edited by JD984; 07-08-2011 at 11:16 AM..

Old 07-08-2011, 11:13 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I think the division into dreamers vs the practical is a false one.
That's not what I was saying. The division would be choosing a city because a job is there vs. choosing a city because a lifestyle is there. Both choices are practical in their own way--it just depends on what your priorities are. And both choices attract dreamers--it just depends on what your dreams focus on.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:17 AM

429 posts, read 719,755 times
Default Diff'rent Strokes for Diff'rent Folks

Does anyone remember the Mary Tyler Moore Show? I'm reminded of an episode where Mary's boss at their Minneapolis newspaper announced:
"We have an assignment for a week in the greatest city in the world, and you're coming with me!"
Mary's response: "Paris!"
Boss: "Uh, no."
Mary: "New York!!"
Boss: "No, no... Washington!"
Mary: "Ohhh..."

Diff'rent strokes.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:20 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,805,785 times
I wanted to live in DC since I was a kid (I am from the area--Delaware anyway--and used to come to DC for the day for museums and federal buildings and such all the time). While I am not in DC, I am close enough now

I like it here. I've lived in different areas of the country (grew up in Delaware, went to school in the MidWest, lived in the Carolinas for a couple of years, California for a few years, and even Guam. There were great things and bad things about all the places I lived. But overall, this is still my favorite spot.

Take California for example (since it was brought up here). The weather was nice most of the year... but I missed the seasons (especially fall and snow in the winter). The beaches and diving was great... but the water is 50-60 degrees. The people were nice... but there is even more "keeping up with the Jones" than here. So there was good and bad. For me, there compared to here the bad outweighed the good. I don't think California is a bad place, I just don't like it as much as here.

Unless I am wrong, in this thread most of the people who don't like the area are from different areas of the country. Like I said, I am from the Mid-Atlantic (or Mid-East as I like to call it sometimes, lol). So maybe we all just have our personal preferences based on where we grew up (assuming we liked where we grew up).

Old 07-08-2011, 11:21 AM

660 posts, read 1,705,798 times
I think there may be a major disconnect between DC/inner NoVA and outer NoVA. I know a ton of people who moved to DC, Arlington and Alexandria because they wanted to live somewhere with extremely educated and motivated people and liked the area's urban and walkable but not physically imposing built environment. Maybe your typical 45 year old with two kids doesn't move here from Colorado (side note: why are so many posts in this thread treating Colorado like the holy grail of desirability?) because of some burning desire to buy a 500k house in Ashburn, but young singles are drawn to this area for more reasons than just "oh this is where the jobs were."

Old 07-08-2011, 11:22 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,685,240 times
I don't have time to read through the whole thread (plan to do so later) so maybe this has been said but one thing forcing many people to stay put is an inability to sell their houses where they currently are because of the poor real estate markets.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:32 AM

2,503 posts, read 3,407,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitluvr View Post
My dislike of this area has to do with the arrogant elitist 'better than flyover country' attitude that seems to be in vogue here. It has nothing to do with culture as I like museums, restaurants, etc. I just don't have to be around them 24-7-365 to appreciate them. That is why some folks will say DC is a great area to VISIT.

Plenty of places in the Midwest have 'culture' too but the bonus is that it comes without the snotnosed arrogant folks who seem to only care about career, money, and status.

Bravo, Rabbitluvr! In complete agreement with this post. Yes, there are some non-arrogant people in NoVA/DC, but there are not enough good people to make it a pleasant place to live.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:45 AM

2,503 posts, read 3,407,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
6. kids - this is real personal. I would suggest you might consider that you are addressing folks who have raised kids here, and can see how they turned out. Im not sure I would choose any other path than we took, seeing how wonderful my DD is. I dont know how much of that is NoVa, but I cant say I regret it.

Please don't think that your one child's experience automatically makes your perspective the ultimate right answer for parenting in NoVA. It's fine that you like it here, but that doesn't make it the right place for ALL people who plan to have children. My child graduated from the same high school as your "DD" (which you bring up ALL THE TIME, by the way), but that does not mean we think NOVA is the best place for families. As a mom and military spouse, my experience here in NoVA was TERRIBLE.

What about the VA Tech shooter, or the several would-be terrorists who are products of NoVA living (one a white Oakton HS grad)?

Old 07-08-2011, 11:50 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,805,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Bravo, Rabbitluvr! In complete agreement with this post. Yes, there are some non-arrogant people in NoVA/DC, but there are not enough good people to make it a pleasant place to live.
I can't think of many arrogant people I know or have met here... there are some, yes, but I've met arrogant people EVERYWHERE I've lived. Most people I know aren't. Maybe it's the industry I work in, the street I live on, or something...

Or worse! Maybe I am the most arrogant person so I don't see it! (you know, kind of like that joke where if you walk into a room of people and don't see any ugly people it's because you are the ugly one... or something like that, lol).

Seriously though, I really think the "arrogant DC person" is a stereotype kind of like other areas of the country and other cities have stereotypes associated with them. And because we expect to see that stereotype and look for it, it confirms what we believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia