Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 06:12 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,149,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Some would argue, with your logic that having well-educated people as a requirement, is you assuming that uneducated people will contribute to you having a poor experience, but isn't that simply your perception? Having an education isn't going to determine how good or bad neighbor will be, so why would you use it as requirement since you say that perceiving things about people is wrong?
I don't, for a minute, suggest that people with low educational level couldn't be good neighbors. My own personal experience certainly does not suggest that (for most of my adult life, I've lived and worked with people with lower educational levels than mine -- even in my current seven-figure neighborhood, the vast majority of my neighbors do not have doctorates).

Yet I think there is a huge qualitative and moral difference betwen discriminating based on things people cannot change (e.g. skin color, ethnicity, etc.) and that based on behaviors (e.g. education level, criminal propensity, etc.). You do agree that the two are not the same, don't you?

I assume a priori that most people, whatever the background, would be good neighbors. When *I* make a residential decision, I am looking for a neighborhood with good neighbors PLUS other factors. Those PLUS factors included high income, low crime rate, high educational level, public schools with high scores (even though I homeschool my kids), etc. because these are all good proxies for measures of high quality, safe living and investment value. I couldn't care less if the neighborhood were 100% black, East Asian, Hispanic, South Asian or white.

I agree, of course, that in western Fairfax, most such areas seem to be majority white plus a sizable minority of Asians (both East and South) as well as smaller numbers of Hispanics and smaller still of blacks. That's not always the case elsewhere. In many parts of the country, such affluent, safe areas are almost exclusively white. In yet other parts, they can be a mix of Hispanic and white (e.g. New Mexico, one of my favorite places, and the only state without white supremacist groups as of about 10 years ago).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 06:20 AM

318 posts, read 566,643 times
Everyone on this board tries to tell us that race does not matter and they would be happy living in a community that had no one of the same race, ethnic group or culture. Of course that is not true! OMG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
I don't, for a minute, suggest that people with low educational level couldn't be good neighbors. My own personal experience certainly does not suggest that (for most of my adult life, I've lived and worked with people with lower educational levels than mine -- even in my current seven-figure neighborhood, the vast majority of my neighbors do not have doctorates).

Yet I think there is a huge qualitative and moral difference betwen discriminating based on things people cannot change (e.g. skin color, ethnicity, etc.) and that based on behaviors (e.g. education level, criminal propensity, etc.). You do agree that the two are not the same, don't you?

I assume a priori that most people, whatever the background, would be good neighbors. When *I* make a residential decision, I am looking for a neighborhood with good neighbors PLUS other factors. Those PLUS factors included high income, low crime rate, high educational level, public schools with high scores (even though I homeschool my kids), etc. because these are all good proxies for measures of high quality, safe living and investment value. I couldn't care less if the neighborhood were 100% black, East Asian, Hispanic, South Asian or white.

I agree, of course, that in western Fairfax, most such areas seem to be majority white plus a sizable minority of Asians (both East and South) as well as smaller numbers of Hispanics and smaller still of blacks. That's not always the case elsewhere. In many parts of the country, such affluent, safe areas are almost exclusively white. In yet other parts, they can be a mix of Hispanic and white (e.g. New Mexico, one of my favorite places, and the only state without white supremacist groups as of about 10 years ago).

Old 04-25-2013, 07:41 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
To those who say it is all my fault: Only a culture that favors elitist bullies would believe that. I am actually a courteous, respectful and friendly person. For all the touted diversity and tolerance in NoVA, there still seems to be considerable emphasis on stereotypes and an unwillingness to connect to others who may be different in looks and/or have different perspectives.

too bad you didn't spend time in annandale - compared to what you describe its like a hippie commune (not excluding the Republicans here).

Old 04-25-2013, 08:43 AM

158 posts, read 216,495 times
TS, what you are describing doesnt exist in Fairfax. It does exist in PG County and subhurbs outside of baltimore. I have 4 rental properties in Mclean, Vienna, Leesburg and 2 in Germantown. The Germantown units are the only properties that AA have ever looked at whenever I am looking for a new tenet.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spock View Post
Everyone on this board tries to tell us that race does not matter and they would be happy living in a community that had no one of the same race, ethnic group or culture. Of course that is not true! OMG!
I don't think anyone here suggested that "race does not matter." That is not the same thing as being far more concerned with other demographic factors like income, low crime rate, high school scores, etc. than with skin color.

You might wish to re-read the thread.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:01 AM

123 posts, read 243,163 times
I've been associated with NoVa since JFK was President. I can't think of one, single AA owned business in NoVa. So, therefore, it would make sense that the AA are congregated near the Federal jobs, and of course, affirmative action. Put the pins on the map, where the Federal jobs are, and I think you will see where the AA populations live.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualforecast View Post
I can't think of one, single AA owned business in NoVa.
I can think one right off the bat in one second: Infiniti of Chantilly, located in the allegedly black-unfriendly Chantilly-Centreville-South Riding-Aldie area. I am pretty sure it isn't the only "AA-owned business in NOVA."

Oh, just thought of another one: Capital Area Pediatrics in Ashburn, run by two black female doctors/partners.

I am sure if I sat here long enough and thought about it, more would come to mind.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:29 AM

123 posts, read 243,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
I can think one right off the bat in one second: Infiniti of Chantilly, located in the allegedly black-unfriendly Chantilly-Centreville-South Riding-Aldie area. I am pretty sure it isn't the only "AA-owned business in NOVA."

Oh, just thought of another one: Capital Area Pediatrics in Ashburn, run by two black female doctors/partners.

I am sure if I sat here long enough and thought about it, more would come to mind.
Quite impressive, ILD, for an admitted numbers person; 2 million people in NoVa, and you know of 2 AA owned businesses. Could you please name ONE AA owned restaurant?

Old 04-26-2013, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualforecast View Post
Quite impressive, ILD, for an admitted numbers person; 2 million people in NoVa, and you know of 2 AA owned businesses. Could you please name ONE AA owned restaurant?
Don't know any AA owned restaurants, Sorry. I came up with those two businesses in about 5 seconds after I read that you don't know any despite being "associated" with this areas since JFK. Two beats zero in my book.

As I wrote before, if I sat down and thought about it for a while, I could probably come up with many more. And then there are probably many more private businesses yet with AA owners whose information is private and not easily available online. But you don't want me to confuse you with facts when you clearly made up your mind already that there aren't any AA-owned businesses in NoVA.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:33 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
This AA woman and Middleburg resident owns some businesses around here. She's likely worth more than all of us combined:

Sheila Johnson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia