Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 05:53 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualforecast View Post
Quite impressive, ILD, for an admitted numbers person; 2 million people in NoVa, and you know of 2 AA owned businesses. Could you please name ONE AA owned restaurant?
Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. Don't you know? 2 is the new 1000. So when you know 2 Black owned business it's like knowing a thousand and it also tells you that there are plenty of black people in that area. I mean there are 20% of black people in Chanti....er......Hernd.......er.......Centrevil.. ..er......Clift....er....Rest...er, wait a minute what was I saying? Oh yeah that's right, it doesn't matter that you are the only black person in your neighborhood or the fact that somebody see you they assume that you listen to gangsta rap music and have babies everywhere with random women. I'm Indian, I have never been black, but because I don't have negative stereotypes to battle with being Indian and my race is a more accepted race, so I know black people will be too. Yup you have nothing to worry about because I asked my black neighbor yesterday that just moved in last week and he told me that he hasn't experienced racism even though he had a 5 day business trip the day after he moved in.

Last edited by justtitans; 04-26-2013 at 06:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 08:13 AM

158 posts, read 216,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
This AA woman and Middleburg resident owns some businesses around here. She's likely worth more than all of us combined:

Sheila Johnson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What does that have to do with the TS original post. Why not add Oprah, Michael Jordon, also. Or better yet take the six most expensive neighborhoods in great falls and ask what the nationalities of those are. I am guessing white and middle eastern.

What does Middleburg have to do with Fairfax? Nice commute from Middleburg to anywhere in DC metro.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:51 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
This AA woman and Middleburg resident owns some businesses around here. She's likely worth more than all of us combined:

BET founder Bob Johnson's wife is definitely an outlier even among the more financially successful African Americans in this area. I'm not aware if she runs any businesses in Fairfax County proper but I do note that she owns the Washington Mystics of the WNBA.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:56 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. Don't you know? 2 is the new 1000. So when you know 2 Black owned business it's like knowing a thousand and it also tells you that there are plenty of black people in that area. I mean there are 20% of black people in Chanti....er......Hernd.......er.......Centrevil.. ..er......Clift....er....Rest...er, wait a minute what was I saying?
To be fair, I only know offhand of three African-American owned businesses in Fairfax County, myself: two are medical doctors and one is a dentist. Granted, they are all in eastern Fairfax on or near the Route 1 corridor. Of course, it's possible that none of those professionals actually live in eastern Fairfax just as the business owners that ILD mentions may not necessarily live in western Fairfax.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:01 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,149,430 times
Quote:

Stop trying to confuse people with facts! Don't you know it's impossible for black people to own businesses or live comfortably (in some cases quite affluently) in western Loudoun (!), let alone western Fairfax?
Quote:
I'm Indian
You must be assuming I'm Indian based on my handle. I am not (neither "native American" nor "Hindu") -- wrong continents. Unwarranted assumptions can sometimes allow people to make fools of themselves.

India-Lima-Delta is simply I-L-D per NATO alphabet. Some people who bled for this country together with their black-, brown-, red-, white- and yellow-skinned brothers in "Indian Country" (what kids today call "Hajji Country") know what that means.
Quote:
because I don't have negative stereotypes to battle with being Indian and my race is a more accepted race, so I know black people will be too.
Hmmm, Indians from reservations in the Dakotas and Indians who were ethnically-cleansed from Uganda by Idi Amin and his thugs might object to to the denial of negative stereotypes about them, to say the least.
Quote:
Yup you have nothing to worry about because I asked my black neighbor yesterday that just moved in last week and he told me that he hasn't experienced racism even though he had a 5 day business trip the day after he moved in.
I'd say that's just as valid as, and possibly move valid than, people having a "vibe" about alleged racism against blacks in western Fairfax or basing that view on "funny looks" as evidence.

I still await input from other AAs about their concrete evidences of racism against blacks in western Fairfax.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:29 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
You must be assuming I'm Indian based on my handle. I am not (neither "native American" nor "Hindu") -- wrong continents. Unwarranted assumptions can sometimes allow people to make fools of themselves.

India-Lima-Delta is simply I-L-D per NATO alphabet. Some people who bled for this country together with their black-, brown-, red-, white- and yellow-skinned brothers in "Indian Country" (what kids today call "Hajji Country") know what that means.
Hmmm, Indians from reservations in the Dakotas and Indians who were ethnically-cleansed from Uganda by Idi Amin and his thugs might object to to the denial of negative stereotypes about them, to say the least.
I'd say that's just as valid as, and possibly move valid than, people having a "vibe" about alleged racism against blacks in western Fairfax or basing that view on "funny looks" as evidence.

I still await input from other AAs about their concrete evidences of racism against blacks in western Fairfax.
Honestly didn't know what race you were, nor did it matter. The comment I made was made tongue in cheek, it wasn't meant to be taken serious or to bring up facts.

By the way you might be waiting for a long time for any blacks to come out and say if they have experienced racism in Western Fairfax since there aren't that many of them.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Honestly didn't know what race you were, nor did it matter. The comment I made was made tongue in cheek, it wasn't meant to be taken serious or to bring up facts.
"It was just a joke" defense.

When people fixate on their own history of suffering, it can sometimes blind them to that of others.
Quote:
By the way you might be waiting for a long time for any blacks to come out and say if they have experienced racism in Western Fairfax since there aren't that many of them.
Or I could be waiting a long time because the area is no more (and possibly less) racist than other localities.

BTW, if you are interested in information about black demographics in Virginia, here are two excellent resources:

Residential segregation in Virginia

http://www.coopercenter.org/sites/de..._4_30_12_r.pdf

If you look at page 7, you see that a big chunk of Loudoun County -- which has a reputation of being whiter than Fairfax -- has 15-30% of blacks by neighborhood. That chunk is somewhat smaller in Fairfax, but they are there, mostly along southeast, but a few small chunks in the west. And, of course, we cannot tell what the variations are in 0-15% neighborhoods.

If you look at page 3, you can tell that there has been a drastic reduction in majority black neighborhoods in VA since 1860 even in the eastern and southern part of the state. It has been a state-wide trend (note that the overall state-wide percentage of black has remained the same between 1970-2010). Apparently so many non-blacks felt comfortable moving into high black population areas that many of them are no longer majority black. Those racists!

Last edited by IndiaLimaDelta; 04-26-2013 at 02:10 PM..

Old 04-27-2013, 06:10 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
O.K. we are selling our home in western Fairfax - every race (except black) came to look at the house - I mean almost every race I have heard of; Indian, Hispanic, Middle Eastern, Asian - I just dont get it. I dont feel there is any racism here. Come on over Blacks - we will welcome you.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:04 AM

123 posts, read 243,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
I can think one right off the bat in one second: Infiniti of Chantilly, located in the allegedly black-unfriendly Chantilly-Centreville-South Riding-Aldie area. I am pretty sure it isn't the only "AA-owned business in NOVA."

Oh, just thought of another one: Capital Area Pediatrics in Ashburn, run by two black female doctors/partners.

I am sure if I sat here long enough and thought about it, more would come to mind.

Infiniti Of Chantilly, New Infiniti dealership in Chantilly, VA 20151 Glad to here it is AA owned, because it doesn't appear that they have any working there. But ILD, you forgot the shoeshine stand at REA.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualforecast View Post
Infiniti Of Chantilly, New Infiniti dealership in Chantilly, VA 20151 Glad to here it is AA owned, because it doesn't appear that they have any working there. But ILD, you forgot the shoeshine stand at REA.
Might want to get some new glasses -- there appear to be at least three employees who are AA (business director, parts manager and receptionist), not counting, of course, the owner who is not listed.

That's three out of twenty-four listed employees or 12.5% of the work force there, higher than the percentage of AA in western Fairfax. Meanwhile, there appear to be only one employee who is Asian. That's one out of twenty-four or 4.2%, significantly below the population level of Asians in the region. Where is your outrage, brother?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia