Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 04:44 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,290,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I've noticed that no one has posted the names of the schools nearest their homes. When you've done so, I'll be happy to forward them to the appropriate folks and let them know that you would welcome NOVA Firearms in your backyard or a stone's throw away from the nearest elementary. I know that our local county supervisor, school board member, and House of Delegates member are all looking to help find them a new home, and they might very well want to look into these alternatives.

Thanks!

Oakton Elementary. There is even a vacancy in the strip mall down the road. But the guy is looking for a spot inside the beltway.

I am a super liberal gun owner. Like I said, the guy is a jerk who doesn't get my business because I found him inflexible and unfriendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 04:44 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,092,438 times
Lightbulb truth in reporting?

Another angle is the level of protesters. Maybe a dozen adults with the shameless inclusion of another dozen kids - not hundreds that are reported. Where is the accuracy? Check this video showing the dozen protesters.

Gun store opens up near Va. school - Story | WTTG

The main protester comment was that children will walk by and see the parking lot, signs, etc. What is probably more offensive to some protesters is the volume of sales art this store...50 in one weekend is a busy small scale gun store. Business appears to be good art this location.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:08 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,093,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Another angle is the level of protesters. Maybe a dozen adults with the shameless inclusion of another dozen kids - not hundreds that are reported. Where is the accuracy? Check this video showing the dozen protesters.

Gun store opens up near Va. school - Story | WTTG

The main protester comment was that children will walk by and see the parking lot, signs, etc. What is probably more offensive to some protesters is the volume of sales art this store...50 in one weekend is a busy small scale gun store. Business appears to be good art this location.
WUSA9 was there and reported that hundreds were present. From what I could tell, there were roughly 150-200 people protesting at the peak time between 11 and 1 on Saturday. Obviously, if Fox chooses to show footage from when there were fewer people present or that focuses on one small group , which they have an incentive to do given their viewership, that's what you'll see. Quite a few people thought it would be OK to park in the lot at a nearby strip mall and left when the police announced that they'd get towed if they left their cars there.

The police were very clear that the protestors had to stay on the sidewalk, and needed to stay out of the street and the gun store's small parking lot. If all the protestors had been allowed to gather in the parking lot, it would have looked like a larger crowd for the photographers.

I can't speak to how much business this store is doing. It is open Sunday and closed Mondays, and there was no one in the parking lot when I drove by during store hours yesterday. The protests likely give them a short-term boost in business, from pro-gun types who want to show their support. But after a lot of those folks have made the drive once from further out, it's less likely they'll come back the next time they want to buy ammo.

Last edited by JD984; 09-28-2015 at 05:36 PM..

Old 09-28-2015, 05:50 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,324,401 times
Two teacher household here and we are both in the camp that dosen't see this as a threat to students. We both grew up in areas where guns aren't feared and gun safety is taught, so maybe that makes a difference. Heck, in those areas even the local VFD sells tickets to raffles in which the prizes are guns. When I first started with FCPS, gun safety was part of the health curriculum.

I was struck a bit by the comment that some people don't want their kids to see a gun store because it might lead then to think that buying a gun is ok. Although I don't often see people open carrying, how do these people react when they see someone carrying in public? Do they freak out? Those are personal values or opinions which can be passed along to your child, but legally it is ok. Think about all of the situations where a similar opinion could be applied such as the fast food example mentioned previously. do we move restaurants? What about car dealerships that sell "gas guzzlers"?

In the elementary school we teach lessons about rights and responsibilities. Open carry has actually come up many times. It always leads to an interesting discussion.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:01 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,093,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Two teacher household here and we are both in the camp that dosen't see this as a threat to students. We both grew up in areas where guns aren't feared and gun safety is taught, so maybe that makes a difference. Heck, in those areas even the local VFD sells tickets to raffles in which the prizes are guns. When I first started with FCPS, gun safety was part of the health curriculum.

I was struck a bit by the comment that some people don't want their kids to see a gun store because it might lead then to think that buying a gun is ok. Although I don't often see people open carrying, how do these people react when they see someone carrying in public? Do they freak out? Those are personal values or opinions which can be passed along to your child, but legally it is ok. Think about all of the situations where a similar opinion could be applied such as the fast food example mentioned previously. do we move restaurants? What about car dealerships that sell "gas guzzlers"?

In the elementary school we teach lessons about rights and responsibilities. Open carry has actually come up many times. It always leads to an interesting discussion.
I have lived in McLean for six years and have not once seen anyone "open carrying" other than law enforcement officers. It does not mean there aren't guns in homes, which there clearly are, but it would be viewed, at best, quizzically by most. Many of us would indeed be uneasy in the presence of openly armed civilians.

Values vary from community to community. In some parts of the country, the location of this store would not only be considered poor judgment on the part of the landlord and gun store owner, as articulated by our local supervisor, but illegal under municipal codes.

Suffice it to say that I am glad that our local politicians are taking action based on their own views and those of their constituents, and not by the audience on C-D that's chosen to participate on this thread. I doubt that any of them will suffer any significant, negative repercussions at the polls in November because they opposed having a gun shop feet away from an elementary school.

Last edited by JD984; 09-28-2015 at 06:10 PM..

Old 09-28-2015, 06:18 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,324,401 times
Quote:
I have lived in McLean for six years and have not once seen anyone "open carrying" other than law enforcement officers. It does not mean there aren't guns in homes, which there clearly are, but it would be viewed, at best, quizzically by most.

Values vary from community to community. In some parts of the country, the location of this store would not only be considered poor judgment on the part of the landlord and gun store owner, as articulated by our local supervisor, but illegal under municipal codes.
Understood. I'm not a gun owner, but I'm not anti-gun either. I mentioned I seldom see anyone openly carrying. The last time was when we lived in Prince William County. It was in a restaurant and someone actually called the police. Two officers showed up, spoke briefly to the two men who were at a table eating, and left.

So, hypothetically, how would a parent who doesn't want a child to think buying or carrying a gun is ok react if they saw someone carrying in McLean? It could happen. My hope is that they wouldn't react on the spot and would talk to the child later. When it has come up in my classroom during the civics lesson discussion of rights and responsibilities, I have let them know it is not illegal. Think about later lessons on the Constitution, American Revolution, etc.

I guess I'm not seeing how the location is poor judgment other than the reason being that some people don't like guns.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:30 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
Quote:
The store is now in a fairly prominent location in downtown McLean. People don't like the fact that the store is physically is so close to an elementary school. It is literally adjacent to school property.
What's the point? Kids aren't allowed in without adults present.

Quote:
People don't like the fact that the owner tries to make weapons seem like fun. He apparently posted a picture on social media of a sniper in a field with the caption "long-range shooting is like golf * * * but for men." That is particularly distressing since the adjacent school also has fields.
Shooting IS fun. I've done it many times--target shooting and skeet shooting. There's a real challenge to it. (Golf is for smug, weak men who think their income compensates for their inability to do more than 20 pushups.)

Quote:
People who want to raise their children to avoid guns don't like their kids getting the impression that buying and selling firearms is routine because they walk or drive by a firearms store every day.
The legal sale of firearms IS routine. What's wrong with that? I have a friend whose two children both shoot. The daughter got her first gun at age 10: a pink 9mm handgun. Both kids practice good gun safety and are responsible, well-behaved kids. They, unlike kids who are sheltered from guns and regard them as alluringly off-limits potential toys, know guns can be dangerous. They have learned to use a dangerous tool in a safe manner. Good practice for driving a 3,000-lb potential weapon at age 16.

Quote:
People know that there were two youths in the community who committed suicide using guns within the past two years, and don't want to make it any easier for impulsive young adults to gain access to firearms.
So if they had hanged themselves, would you be pushing to ban the sale of belts and ropes near schools?

Quote:
People think a firearms store will attract other businesses to the downtown area they consider undesirable, like the pawn shop in Lyon Village in Arlington, etc.
Whoever thinks that is comically uninformed. The pawn shop has been there since the '30s. It has brought in such shady businesses as Big Wheel Bikes, The Italian Store, and Starbucks. Not to mention some VERY expensive condos just across the street.

Quote:
I've read enough on the topic to know the gun advocates will try and dismiss every one of these arguments, but that's how many local people feel, and it's our community. The store owner may have a legal right to occupy the space, but that doesn't mean people who don't want a firearms store so close to an elementary school have to throw him a welcome party.
So someone who factually refutes each of these points is automatically a "gun advocate" and thus their refutations are to be dismissed? I have no guns. Never have--unless you count a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun. I've never been to a protest and certainly have never joined the NRA. (Nor would I.) But I guess since I'm all for a legal business that harms no one being allowed the same rights as any other business, I'm Charlton Heston.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:45 PM

601 posts, read 593,160 times
They can't find anywhere else to open their gun store? Anywhere?

There are unsavory people and elements that are kept separated from schools. Convicted pedophiles, for instance. This isn't much ado about nothing.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:05 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
Why should they?

Quote:
There are unsavory people and elements that are kept separated from schools. Convicted pedophiles, for instance. This isn't much ado about nothing.
Surely you're not comparing lawful gun buyers to pedophiles.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:10 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:

Are you serious? You are equating people who run a legal business and their perfectly legal patrons with convicted pedophiles??? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia