Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2015, 08:36 AM

518 posts, read 925,226 times

Advertisements

The crazy thing is that the location of the gun shop in McLean have been a non-issue 20 or more years ago. Back when gun restrictions were lighter and non-drug related gun violence was much lower. I am thinking there has been a culture shift that promotes extremism instead of people trying to find a middle ground and work things out civilly. We as a society tend to get into an uproar over issues and instead of trying to find a good solution that is amicable for everybody. Maybe we are missing the key issue of we need to get our collective panties out of a knot and calm down. If the area is upset over the location, let them fix the situation with their local government. Freaking out does nothing but rile up more people. As I stated before, I don't see a problem with the location but I don't live there. The true question is what is the local government going to do to address this situation? The voice of the people affected needs to be heard, not the outcry of people on their moral high horses on one side or the other.

I have to say until a couple of pages ago, this was one of the most civil discussions I have read on a topic such as this in a while. Let us get back to that civil discussion. People on both sides of this issue have brought up really good points and even though not everyone contributing will be brought around to see the opposing viewpoints it is still a good debate. Yes, some of feel strongly about one side or the other, but this discussion is not about trying to change everyone's viewpoint it is about expressing how we feel about the matter at hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 10:28 AM

617 posts, read 1,356,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roninsedge View Post
The crazy thing is that the location of the gun shop in McLean have been a non-issue 20 or more years ago.
This is the main reason I didn't sign the petition, though I disagree with having the store near a school. I don't like that it is worded as "Keep NOVA Firearms out of McLean" when they have already been in McLean for however many years.

My issue is strictly with the location, and those opposed to it should focus solely on that, not whether the store is in town at all. Those on the other side of the aisle really need to tone down the constitution and second amendment B.S., an argument over the location of the store has zero to do with the second amendment.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:19 PM

601 posts, read 593,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post
This is the main reason I didn't sign the petition, though I disagree with having the store near a school. I don't like that it is worded as "Keep NOVA Firearms out of McLean" when they have already been in McLean for however many years.
It is understandable that at this point in time, after NOVA Firearms has pissed off the surrounding community by relocating to a contentious location, that some would like to see them gone completely.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:17 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forehead View Post

My issue is strictly with the location, and those opposed to it should focus solely on that, not whether the store is in town at all. Those on the other side of the aisle really need to tone down the constitution and second amendment B.S., an argument over the location of the store has zero to do with the second amendment.
The petition was relabeled as "Keep NOVA Firearms Out of Franklin Sherman's Backyard." I assume that's what will be presented to Gov. McAuliffe when the petition organizers decide to tally up and forward the signatures.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:43 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,725,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
Stop waving the Constitution around. This isn't about the Constitution. This is about the specific location of a gun store.
Says the guy who compared gun shoppers to pedophiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I'm trying to figure this "on-line" gun buying out as an owner of multiple firearms.

If you are in, say Montana, and have a shotgun for sale on Gunbroker.com, then my purchase of it has to go through a FFL holder at both ends. Neither FedEx or UPS will ship it without that FFL certification.
True--but I believe that on Armslist, you can buy from a private person with no background check if it's for local pickup. I think this should change as one of several needed reforms to the background-check system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You are correct that there are holes in the NICS process as it relates to mental illness. What is a reasonable fix?
The fix won't be easy, but I think it has to entail one standard, national system that pulls certain mental-health info automatically whenever someone is diagnosed with a severe condition known to make people more violent--instead of leaving it up to localities. In addition, there have to be exceptions and time limits; e.g., a guy who has severe PTSD with violent outbursts might not be able to buy a gun within a year of diagnosis. But after some period of effective treatment in which the violent outbursts are documented to have disappeared, his doctor could update the system to note that the patient has received treatment and is no longer a risk.

It will be a balancing act in that we absolutely don't want to discourage people with problems from seeking help, which would happen if the system were to make it so that having been diagnosed with a common, treatable condition like depression, anxiety, or ADD means you'll never get to buy a gun. It should only be for severe conditions that are documented to be associated with violence--e.g., schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, etc.

But this still means we have to get people with symptoms in for treatment. Some of these mass shooters never saw anyone about their mental health. And mental-health screening and publicly subsidized treatment is a whole other area of needed reform.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 10-06-2015 at 02:00 PM..

Old 10-06-2015, 02:57 PM

601 posts, read 593,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Says the guy who compared gun shoppers to pedophiles.
Yes, this "guy" saw a day care center forcibly shut down and an individual removed from my neighborhood a few years ago due to some various infractions, all for the safety of a very small handful of children. Unfortunately for said individual, none of his infractions included guns or gun ownership, else he would have been in the clear. The righteous hammer of justice and reason seemed to be working very swiftly during that time!

Old 10-06-2015, 04:07 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchmen View Post
Yes, this "guy" saw a day care center forcibly shut down and an individual removed from my neighborhood a few years ago due to some various infractions, all for the safety of a very small handful of children. Unfortunately for said individual, none of his infractions included guns or gun ownership, else he would have been in the clear. The righteous hammer of justice and reason seemed to be working very swiftly during that time!
Same thing happens at daycares when workers are found to abusing the children... They are forcibly removed from the daycare and quick. So reasons why workers are fired is numerous. Unfortunately abuse ( without guns) at daycare is more common than daycare workers removed for various infractions.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:21 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Default other hazards near Franklin Sherman

This is unbelievable... There is a liquor store less than two blocks from this elementary school.

Chain Bridge Cellars

Looking at the distance, in yards not miles, there must be hundreds of kids that walk by this "business" every day. With a drug free zone stretching to 1,000 yards, how did this business get permission to open its doors? The overt advertising on the premises leave little doubt the type of business products that they sell.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:52 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Oh the horror.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:45 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Oh the horror.
So this is snark about the wine merchant in a nearby strip mall? Because there has indeed been considerable, even recent, horror associated with guns + schools, some of which unfolded after this thread began.

Perhaps you'd turn out to be the hero with a gun taking out the other fellow with a gun, in a dangerous situation, but some folks would just as soon not need to call upon your services in the first place. There is also concern that having a gun store so close to a school will inevitably lead to lockdowns, whether necessary in hindsight or not.

http://sostrenews.com/3-culpeper-vir...ct-in-custody/

Last edited by JD984; 10-07-2015 at 11:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia