Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 07:15 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,177,929 times

Advertisements

I admit to not knowing a whole lot about Leesburg... but I do know that gang issues are not the first thing that comes to mind. Leesburg is the biggest city, such as it is, in Loudoun County. Naturally there will be socioeconomic diversity drawn there. I would predict that any gang activity is easy to avoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebritain View Post
Hi there,

thanks for all your thoughts... We visited the place today. We spoke to a few residents... ALL VERY NICE!

In the New Town Meadows. (The area we plan on buying in) Lots of Diversity several black families and a Latin families. Minorities in the streets playing games and having fun with other residents.

We felt VERY welcome....

CHECK OUT THIS AREA..

The school system is also very good!

We will go back..... To check into things further.

We will check the commute prior to any move...

We thought of LEESBURG...HOWEVER this area has GANG activity...

We dont want to live with MS-13 and Latin Kings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 07:57 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,892,017 times
Quote:
We thought of LEESBURG...HOWEVER this area has GANG activity...

We dont want to live with MS-13 and Latin Kings.
LOL YOU have got to be kidding!!
Sorry...nope Lived there for 2 years.

There are some section 8 housing apts in Leesburg that are considered the "bad area" but it's mostly just low income families. (It's easy to avoid)I used to walk through that area whenever I had my car worked on. Drive through everynight... NO gangs no drivebyes etc...
There were gang members arrested last year...they were from Winchester.

Most of the crimes we saw were teenagers that broke into cars and stole items that were in the cars.

DON'T go by hearsay. get the police blotter most crimes in Leesburg are shoplifting (the Outlet mall is there), theft from cars, and domestic violence.

MY kids played outside and rode bikes all over the neighobrhood with frinds from every ethnic background, blacks, asians, middle eastern etc... NEVER had any problems.

The schools are very good and it's A very easy commute to Herndon. about 30-40minutes down rt 7 depending on traffic flow. or 20minutes if you pay to go on hte greenway.
Leesburg IS LOUDOUN county schools..you could work in your kids schools or just down the road in Ashburn. The HS are located close to Leesburg...Loudoun County, Loudoun Valley and Heritage. The fouth HS has yet to be built but Purceville is the area they are trying to get the land.

Leesburg has IDA LEE rec center and TONS of families and kids programs. 4th of july parade and fire works, Halloween parade etc... The historic downtown area is wonderful and has summer concerts on the courthouse lawn etc... It's a very vibrant community.

Lovettesville to Herndon...probably close to an hour in heavy traffic. YOu can pick up the toll road off of rt 7 in Leesburg where it begins...it'll cost you about $5 one way to drive on the toll from Leesburg to Herndon.

Herndon has more of a gang issue than Leesburg.
and so does Sterling.

with gas aproaching $4 a gallon...I would seriously look closer to Herndon. That GREAT price on ahouse might not be so great after you put in your monthly gas money, wear and tear on the car and cost of greenway etc...

We were very close to buying house in Roundhill when we moved there...I am so glad we didn't...it was not close to anything and adding 15-20 mionutes on ot an already long commute..not good...and gas prices!!
Our gas bill went up about $500 a month! (and my husband car pooled!) that was a 25mile commute to tysons from Leesburg.

HOusing prices may be attractive but you will get what you pay for...a long way from most activites/stores/resturants etc...

Old 05-12-2008, 10:45 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,986,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
LOL YOU have got to be kidding!!
Sorry...nope Lived there for 2 years.

There are some section 8 housing apts in Leesburg that are considered the "bad area" but it's mostly just low income families. (It's easy to avoid)I used to walk through that area whenever I had my car worked on. Drive through everynight... NO gangs no drivebyes etc...
There were gang members arrested last year...they were from Winchester.

Most of the crimes we saw were teenagers that broke into cars and stole items that were in the cars.

DON'T go by hearsay. get the police blotter most crimes in Leesburg are shoplifting (the Outlet mall is there), theft from cars, and domestic violence.

MY kids played outside and rode bikes all over the neighobrhood with frinds from every ethnic background, blacks, asians, middle eastern etc... NEVER had any problems.

The schools are very good and it's A very easy commute to Herndon. about 30-40minutes down rt 7 depending on traffic flow. or 20minutes if you pay to go on hte greenway.
Leesburg IS LOUDOUN county schools..you could work in your kids schools or just down the road in Ashburn. The HS are located close to Leesburg...Loudoun County, Loudoun Valley and Heritage. The fouth HS has yet to be built but Purceville is the area they are trying to get the land.

Leesburg has IDA LEE rec center and TONS of families and kids programs. 4th of july parade and fire works, Halloween parade etc... The historic downtown area is wonderful and has summer concerts on the courthouse lawn etc... It's a very vibrant community.

Lovettesville to Herndon...probably close to an hour in heavy traffic. YOu can pick up the toll road off of rt 7 in Leesburg where it begins...it'll cost you about $5 one way to drive on the toll from Leesburg to Herndon.

Herndon has more of a gang issue than Leesburg.
and so does Sterling.

with gas aproaching $4 a gallon...I would seriously look closer to Herndon. That GREAT price on ahouse might not be so great after you put in your monthly gas money, wear and tear on the car and cost of greenway etc...

We were very close to buying house in Roundhill when we moved there...I am so glad we didn't...it was not close to anything and adding 15-20 mionutes on ot an already long commute..not good...and gas prices!!
Our gas bill went up about $500 a month! (and my husband car pooled!) that was a 25mile commute to tysons from Leesburg.

HOusing prices may be attractive but you will get what you pay for...a long way from most activites/stores/resturants etc...

I think it's sad that you have all this wonderful advice and experience and it's falling on deaf ears (in this case eyes). I think no matter what you say, the OP just doesn't want to hear it. They want a cheap house and no matter what else they've claimed are important issues, they are really saying price takes top priority.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:45 AM

seems that way doesn't it. BUT...I just CAN NOT endorse Lovettesville for them.

It's seem they just want to hear thats its wonderful and yeah go ahead, buy...you'll make a killing in 3-5 years!! etc... and will keep asking until someone tellsthem what they want to hear. Then in 6mo will come on hear and start a thread about how bad Lovettesville is and how there is NOTHING to do there etc....

Old 05-12-2008, 11:48 AM

Exactly on all counts.

10 people could be against it and 1 could be for it and that's all they need to hear. I can't imagine why you would ask for people's opinions if you are going to do it no matter what. I agree, I do not endorse Lovettsville either.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:43 PM

14 posts, read 55,396 times
I have lived in one of the new communities of Lovettsville for two years now. I don't perceive the area as being racist - it's just boring. To tell you the truth about the demographics of the area I'll provide this scenario: the Town of Lovettsville is hundreds of years old and has seen little to no modernization nor amenities in most of that time. Until 3 years ago. Developers purchased land and built a couple of new developments. There is supposed to be a Town Center in development, but there has been no progress in land clearing or building, not even sure what will be housed within it. The Town offers almost nothing in the way of amenities, but there is a brand new restaurant named Andy's with good pizza and Italian food. You will need to drive to Purcellville, Leesburg, Frederick MD or Brunswick to do your errands like grocery shopping. Housing prices are great out here = lots of loreclosures to choose from, even new homes that are 2 years old but have never been lived in. The community is predominantly white, a handful of black families and many spanish families in some of the smaller homes. Everyone seems to get along. The surprise is that some of the "old" families in the Town were not pleased with the creation of the new neighborhoods so some of the citizens haven't been particularly welcoming of their new neighbors. No need to mingle with them though as there are plenty of neighbors to associate with in the community. Good luck.

Quote:
Hi there,

We are in our late 20s with 1 kid and 1 on the way. We are both professional people. I work as a teacher and my wife works for the County.

We are worried is Lovettsville racist?

We plan on buying one of those new houses out there!

Be honest....

Old 05-12-2008, 03:47 PM

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I am living in New Town Meadows in a large home built by Ryan Homes. Lousy bulder, lousy level of quality in the construction. Developer has significantly reduced land prices to builder, who in turn has reduced home prices to new homebuyers, hence - new homebuyers are paying $150-$200,000 less than those of us who signed our contract in mid-to-late 2005. Sad story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
I don't know about racism in Lovettsville, but I would think long and hard about buying a house out there. What area and who is the builder you are considering?

Old 05-12-2008, 03:52 PM

I live in New Town Meadows and have lived here for two years now. The community is nice, and I enjoy many of my neighbors, but I do not like living in Lovettsville. There is nothing to do, so you will find yourself spending time in your car to do things like eat in a nice restaurant, go shopping, parks, museums, etc. Sleepy little town with no modernization nor amenities. Why pay increase in real estate tax for no benefit ?? If you can afford to live closer in, say in Leesburg or even Ashburn, take advantage of the reduced housing prices or jump on a foreclosure, you'll probably be glad you did!

Quote:
Hi we are new to the U.S. we are from the U.K.

Any advice please provide....

The area is New Town meadows...

Please give me the full low down on this area!!

Thanks

Andrew

Old 05-12-2008, 04:52 PM

Very well stated from someone actually living in the town.

So, they don't even have a grocery store in there? I know that's what kills my friend who moved from Leesburg to Luckettes...not even a grocery store or pizza delivery!

How far is the actual drive into Leesburg? my guess would be 30 minutes, since it's about 20minutes to the bridge at Point of Rocks.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:28 PM

I'm glad someone who is actually living there has some valuable input. I knew there was nothing in Lovettsville. What the OP has to realize is he needs to think about the future of his children. When he has to start schlepping his kids to activities, it's going to be a problem.

Poor house construction is another concern...makes the thought of resale even scarier to me.

I so agree about the statement of paying the real estate tax and not getting any of the benefits. Why do it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia