Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:13 PM

7 posts, read 17,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5stones View Post
Very well stated from someone actually living in the town.

So, they don't even have a grocery store in there? I know that's what kills my friend who moved from Leesburg to Luckettes...not even a grocery store or pizza delivery!

How far is the actual drive into Leesburg? my guess would be 30 minutes, since it's about 20minutes to the bridge at Point of Rocks.

We live here. I like it. It's 25 min from Town to the Outlet Mall/Target in Leesburg. 4.5 mi to the Grocery Store in Brunswick. (No grocery tax in MD)
We live in the "old" part of town & we've lived here for about 2.5 years. There's a difference living here - IME it's a *crunchy* town, the values are different. I know lots of families that are focused on more *organic* living. There are 2 co-housing communities w/Lville addresses.
We moved here bc there is specifically nothing to do. We don't want a Target & a grocery store. I didn't move to Lville bc I'm hoping it will be the next Ashburn or Reston - I'm so glad it isn't! It's inconvenient - you have to cross a mountain to get anywhere. There's no competition. No one is looking at anyone's purse or shoes or car. It's a way different feel than the rest of NoVa. Dh & I grew up in Ffx Co & we've lived in Western Ffx & Ashburn. I wouldn't trade my Mtn views for a Target
The community center has classes & preschool. The library is fabulous & friendly. The story times are never full.
Racism? Not in my experience. I'm seeing more and more diversity. I was behind a school bus the other day & watched lots of "different" children get off the bus.
I think you have to understand that Lovettsville is a rural town. The high school is in Purcellville, the middle school is there too. The bus is going to have to drive a lot to pick up 50 children to fill it up before it goes to the school - it'll be a long bus commute. Shoot, some children ride for 45 min to get to the elem. school - people are spread out.
Think about how & where you will grocery shop. (We shop in Frederick at Costco & the Common Market & we belong to a CSA during the summer)
Think about playdates & where will your children be in childcare.
Where will you go to church? (If that's important - the churches here are country, but diverse)
Think about hospitals - there isn't one w/in 20 minutes of here. Your choices are Jefferson (in WV), Frederick Memorial, and Loudoun @ Cornwall or Landsdowne. If you have little ones, that might be too far for you.
In the evenings - it's harder to go out. If you are someone who likes to come home and then go out to dinner - the choices are quite limited. We eat dinner at home now with the occasional Chinese or Pizza.
BTW, Domino's & Lville Pizza both deliver in town.

HTH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 08:38 PM

15 posts, read 50,601 times
Smile Thanks!!

I am the OP and we are looking over everyones posts!!

We appreciate your input. Thanks for the post from the person at new town meadows...

We are not moving to Lovetsville... Its look like Ashburn.

Thanks everyone!!!

Old 05-16-2008, 08:22 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
I think you will really like Ashburn.
(it can be a little sterlie suburbaniteis to some)
It has some great home values now and actually held it's value more than Leesburg. It has a ton of culturaly diversity among it's residents...all ethnic/religious backgrounds. It's located very good for the one going into Herndon and has tons of great Loudoun schools (with in 20 minutes) for the Teacher. Kids activites are limitless, and playgroups, parks, rec center, shopping, evening entainment etc...
You can easily get into DC for visits on hte weekend or preformances ar the Kennedy center, or the concerts etc... at wolf trap in Fairfax co.

There are some real nice TH that are for great prices right now. ESP if you dollar can't be streched for a SFH. Most neighborhood ALL have pools. tennis courts etc...for hot summer days.

It's high density so you will have traffic backups even on hte weekends (during soccer season etc...) But it is a very nice community and a good place for newcommers to start out living. since EVERYTHING is very convienient and sort of self contained!
The Leesburg outlets are 15 minutes up the road and Dulles Town Center is 10 minutes south!

Old 09-08-2014, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,567 times
Bump for an update on this post.

There are a lot of new home developments going up along Route 7 and Route 9 going up to Lovettesville and I was hoping to get some more up to date input.

My wife, son, and I are looking at some of the new homes in Lovettsville town center and I just want some honest opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-11-2014, 09:40 AM

104 posts, read 153,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by se_taber View Post
I know Lovettsville is kinda out there, but I can't help to be drawn to it thanks to the real estate prices. However, is there any diversity race wise? I've heard there is a big German community.
I'm sure people will be up in arms about this, but you do realize Lovettsville is about 10 miles from West Virginia?

Old 09-11-2014, 10:17 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoiadilucania View Post
I'm sure people will be up in arms about this, but you do realize Lovettsville is about 10 miles from West Virginia?
How do you feel that information relates to the discussion?

Old 09-11-2014, 11:04 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,963,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoiadilucania View Post

And even closer to Maryland!!!!! Why would anyone be "up in arms" about this?

Old 09-11-2014, 11:11 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
How do you feel that information relates to the discussion?
I think he/she was responding to the "diversity" question by mentioning the area is exremenly close to W.VA, which is, statistically, not a very diverse state.

Unfortunately, being close to an entire state that isn't very diverse really has no impact on how diverse a specific town is, so the comment is pretty un-helpful.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:32 AM

104 posts, read 153,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I think he/she was responding to the "diversity" question by mentioning the area is exremenly close to W.VA, which is, statistically, not a very diverse state.

Unfortunately, being close to an entire state that isn't very diverse really has no impact on how diverse a specific town is, so the comment is pretty un-helpful.
I grew up in an area known for rural poverty. It would be difficult for me to characterize the section of West Virginia nearest Lovettsville on the same level. But I can state that some of the cultural aspects of rural poverty -- notably bigotry and a suspicion of outsiders -- are well-entrenched. I observed this when looking at properties around Hillsboro.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,418 times
Default about Lovettsville TC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tome_raider View Post
My wife, son, and I are looking at some of the new homes in Lovettsville town center and I just want some honest opinions.
I live in that neighborhood. What would you like to know?

This part of the town has some diversity - people from different parts of the world, different ethnicities, mixed race couples, etc. The surrounding rural farmland, not so much. It is different from the cultural melting pot you will find in the eastern half of the county. But "notably bigotry and a suspicion of outsiders" are not issues I have observed here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia