Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 01:28 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,071,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
^ OSU is DEFINITELY not 20% Asian. More like 5%. Ohio State is a very white place. Columbus as a whole is also much "whiter" than say, Cleveland, a majority minority city. That doesn't really make a place better or worse, but I understand the point boolouwho is making.
I didn't say the university specifically, but the Campus area. While you're right that at OSU itself, the minority population is lower (around 14-15%, Asian 5.3%), surrounding neighborhoods are much more diverse on average, including with a high Asian population. It was 18% in 2010 and was on the rise, so close to 20% now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 01:42 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,071,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boolouwho View Post
Ok...I'm willing to concede that yes, maybe there is more diversity in Columbus from your statistics. Statistics can be twisted to support anything though, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. It's just what I experienced while there and the feeling I got.

As for Columbus lacking the things that Cinci does, no, I really don't think that will change in the future. Your estimates of growing population really have nothing to do with it. Unless Columbus grows some hills and big old river, it will never have the things I like most about Cinci . I like the old architecture in Cinci, how it's a lot of old stone and an aesthetic of a former era. I like the old run down industrial buildings too, you can just see the history in them. I don't really see Cbus, or any other city really, building things like that anymore. Stone has given way to metal and glass, so even in 20 years it won't have some of the things I specifically find beautiful in Cincinnati.

Who knows, maybe in 20 years Cbus will get other things I mentioned that are cool about Cinci, like a pro football or baseball team. Maybe it will develop the patina of a working class industrial city in time. I kind of doubt it, but no one can predict the future. The point is, it's not the future. Now is now. I am me, and I like what I like. For all the statistics, I still can't tell my heart to ignore the feeling of character and history, or tell myself to stop liking hills over flat land.

My friend, we will have to agree to disagree. I appreciate your statistics, but I'm more of a fly by the seat of my pants kind of girl who makes decisions based on what my heart says, not my head To each his and her own, cheers to both Columbus and Cincinnati for being awesome in their own ways
Most people don't move to a city because of hills or a river, though. I think Cincinnati is attractive geographically, but I don't know many people who would move there just because of that factor. Most people value affordability, location, economy/jobs, # of amenities, quality of life, etc. There are quite a few cities in the US and around the world that are geographically pretty boring. You don't move to London or Paris because they have rivers. Cincinnati cannot continue to lose population in its core and just scream that people should appreciate it because it has hills and some old buildings. My point dealt more with amenities than anything else, and the larger a city becomes, the more amenities it is likely to have. Columbus obviously can't change its landscape or go back in time and bulldoze fewer historic buildings, but it can certainly make major improvements in other areas that most people ultimately place more value on: transit, housing, jobs, nightlife, parks, the arts, etc. At the end of the day, empty factories and deep seated urban grit doesn't really attract most people. It didn't in Cincinnati's urban core and it didn't in Columbus' urban core. Even though people are beginning to move back to the city for various social and economic reasons, they still don't want those things in overwhelming amounts, and you can't really blame them.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:22 PM

4,485 posts, read 6,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boolouwho View Post
My friend, we will have to agree to disagree. I appreciate your statistics, but I'm more of a fly by the seat of my pants kind of girl who makes decisions based on what my heart says, not my head To each his and her own, cheers to both Columbus and Cincinnati for being awesome in their own ways
Why can't she have her own opinion, and likes/dislikes, w/o lengthy rebuttals from Columbus boosters?

Old 09-12-2012, 03:34 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,025,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Why can't she have her own opinion, and likes/dislikes, w/o lengthy rebuttals from Columbus boosters?
...because it's the price any unaware newcomer pays after stumbling into the game of "Smoke & Mirrors" that has superseded the Columbus defense of "Three Yards & A Cloud of Dust" that, years ago, protected OSU and the city from harm. Works pretty well, but you must understand it to see through it--so we're gonna help our new lady on the block do just that, beginning now.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
...because it's the price any unaware newcomer pays after stumbling into the game of "Smoke & Mirrors" that has superseded the Columbus defense of "Three Yards & A Cloud of Dust" that, years ago, protected OSU and the city from harm. Works pretty well, but you must understand it to see through it--so we're gonna help our new lady on the block do just that, beginning now.
I just can't figure out what the dealio is. If c-bus is so awesome then why wolf-pack someone who doesn't like it?

Old 09-12-2012, 04:14 PM

249 posts, read 609,881 times
Quote:
Why does it bother you so much when someone praises Columbus however you relish in the moment to talk bad about it. Sounds like you have some personal issues.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:21 PM

249 posts, read 609,881 times
Quote:
I just can't figure out what the dealio is. If c-bus is so awesome then why wolf-pack someone who doesn't like it?

Why are you basing you views on a forum....there is a real world out there and it exist, try it sometime...Alot of people in this "real world" seem to think the city is awesome as you put it!

Old 09-12-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooks50 View Post
Why does it bother you so much when someone praises Columbus however you relish in the moment to talk bad about it. Sounds like you have some personal issues.
Nice try trying to make it a "personal issue," but please try again. The "someone" you're referring to tore into the OP's impressions of Cincinnati in an obvious attempt to invalidate them (and her) as much as he attempted to praise Columbus.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Why are you basing you views on a forum....there is a real world out there and it exist, try it sometime...Alot of people in this "real world" seem to think the city is awesome as you put it!
I didn't talk bad about it. I have been visiting Columbus since 2000. Used to do weekend day trips, stay overnight at times, etc. I have made it a point to visit as much of Columbus as is worth seeing. I even considered it as a possible relocation spot, but Cincy won out.

I'm just wondering why you guys feel the need to refute this lady's opinion? She is certainly entitled to it. And if Columbus is as great as you guys say then it stands to reason it doesn't need boosting.

Maybe you guys are fanboys.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:20 PM

boolouwho, welcome aboard and keep the faith. You've stumbled into The Battle of The 3-Cs w/o even realizing it, so I'm going to give you some pointers on how it's played. First of all, please don't listen to anyone who wishes you believe that there's no battle and that these 3-Cs were all created equal. They were not, and--as you've already discovered on your own--Cincinnati possesses advantages that Columbus simply doesn't have, whether now or ever. (How easy can it be for one to understand this?) Second, several notorious Columbus boosters employ "Smoke & Mirrors" in hopes of luring you into seeing what's not there while hiding from you what is there.

In the case of CINCINNATI, these magicians want you "to see" an old, broken down, rusted city wherein racial tension, political discord, and crime rule the day, while they don't want you "to see" a historical, cultured, and prosperous city which is also Ohio's biggest metro. In the case of COLUMBUS, the magicians want you "to see" the fastest growing and most promising city in Ohio, while they don't want you "to see" a tax-supported college town trying to fill in all the holes keeping it from being that dream city of their imagination.

Realize that another key strategy of "Smoke & Mirrors" is to discredit you as the best witness to your own experiences, making you believe that what you've gathered from your senses isn't true and that what you know in your heart isn't right. Obviously you're already aware of this, so next--more about the two cities themselves...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio