Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2009, 07:24 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,144,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
I moved here over a year ago from NE OH. We are now just west of Kalispell and can see Glacier Nat Park peaks over the Whitefish Mnt Range daily. The shear beauty was a big factor in our decision to move here. If you would spend any real time in the raw NW MT nature, you would soon realize how insignificant humans and the problems associated with are. No lie there !

The winters here are just as long as those in OH but more stable. We don't have the constant freeze-thaw cycles that OH experiences. It gets cold and stays that way until spring. We don't get any more snow than we did in OH, the big difference is that it stays on the ground when it arrives, like I said... no thaw cycles to melt it off, so as it comes it adds up. Last year we had the exact same amount of snow as NE OH did. Only difference was we had over 4' of it on the ground at any one time... Evaporation deteriorates the snow more than anything here. All these things will make it seem like winter is longer here but it really isn't. The biggest plus, our humidity is very low. No damp cold to deal with... my bones don't hurt here .

Job market... anything is better than OH ! Especially NE. But almost as bad as it is everywhere. Our economy here is like our weather... more stable as we don't have the big up and down swings in it for the most part like other States. It tends to lag behind the rest of the country a half year or so too and depending on your field... you may sacrifice salary to live here. But there is a price to pay for the simple life ! Well worth it if your a conservative type person. If one is looking for socialized city life and if not living in the middle of any of the bigger cities here, this State will chew you up, spit you out and leave you out in the cold cryin for your mamma ! It isn't for everyone and there isn't too many States like it.
Thanks for filler them in on the difference between Glacier Nat' Park and Ohio weather wise. Xwideopenskyx, here are some pics for you just so you can see what your missing. We'vw been there twice and its realy hard to take bad picture in such a beautiful state. These pic are not out of a magazine, we took these ourselves, I hope you enjoy them.

Last edited by EarthBound?; 01-25-2011 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 08:26 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
Those are great pics, Earthbound?. Looks like a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there!

Old 09-18-2009, 10:05 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,437,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Thanks for filler them in on the difference between Glacier Nat' Park and Ohio weather wise. Xwideopenskyx, here are some pics for you just so you can see what your missing. We'vw been there twice and its realy hard to take bad picture in such a beautiful state. These pic are not out of a magazine, we took these ourselves, I hope you enjoy them.
Absolutely beautiful! Funny thing is those pics remind me alot of Alaska. We took (I think) it was Rt. 2 in Montana last year; passed some Reservations, but we didnt have any time to stop or explore. Next time I want to look around alot more. Beautiful place!!

Old 09-22-2009, 03:08 AM

422 posts, read 1,271,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Thanks for the scenic photos. Sounds like you are missing the mountains, I on the other hand no longer live in flats-ville Ohio. One of these days I'll have to check out Montana.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:15 AM

422 posts, read 1,271,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
I moved here over a year ago from NE OH. We are now just west of Kalispell and can see Glacier Nat Park peaks over the Whitefish Mnt Range daily. The shear beauty was a big factor in our decision to move here. If you would spend any real time in the raw NW MT nature, you would soon realize how insignificant humans and the problems associated with are. No lie there !

The winters here are just as long as those in OH but more stable. We don't have the constant freeze-thaw cycles that OH experiences. It gets cold and stays that way until spring. We don't get any more snow than we did in OH, the big difference is that it stays on the ground when it arrives, like I said... no thaw cycles to melt it off, so as it comes it adds up. Last year we had the exact same amount of snow as NE OH did. Only difference was we had over 4' of it on the ground at any one time... Evaporation deteriorates the snow more than anything here. All these things will make it seem like winter is longer here but it really isn't. The biggest plus, our humidity is very low. No damp cold to deal with... my bones don't hurt here .

Job market... anything is better than OH ! Especially NE. But almost as bad as it is everywhere. Our economy here is like our weather... more stable as we don't have the big up and down swings in it for the most part like other States. It tends to lag behind the rest of the country a half year or so too and depending on your field... you may sacrifice salary to live here. But there is a price to pay for the simple life ! Well worth it if your a conservative type person. If one is looking for socialized city life and if not living in the middle of any of the bigger cities here, this State will chew you up, spit you out and leave you out in the cold cryin for your mamma ! It isn't for everyone and there isn't too many States like it.
Thanks for the response. Low humidity sounds good, one of the many reasons why I moved from NE Ohio to the Southwest.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:19 PM

204 posts, read 617,791 times
1) Current or former Ohio location:
Just east of Cincinnati

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?:
Lack of wilderness areas and related outdoor activities
Hot, humid summers
Would like a less conservative area
Would like a lower crime area
Suburban sprawl/strip malls are spoiling rural areas
Big-box and chain-restaurants dominate

3) Where outside of Ohio and why:
Northern Michigan due to wealth of outdoor activities
and natural areas

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices:
Colorado
Montana

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?:
Waiting on spouse to retire in January. Then we're free to go.

6) Anything else you want to say?
I thought it'd be easier to decide where to move.

Old 11-21-2009, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,185 times
1) Current or former Ohio location:
Westerville, OH (Columbus)

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?:
Lack of jobs, lack of things to do and seeking warmer weather.

3) Where outside of Ohio and why:
Florida (any coastal area) - immensely better climate, more things to see and do, drawn to the ocean. Miami, Fort Lauderdale or Tampa would be nice. Even Jacksonville would be a start.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices:
Chicago - as cold as Ohio, but has the dining and entertainment benefits of being a true metropolis. Is also less expensive than some other large cities.

Seattle - About the same reason as Chicago, city-wise. Slightly warmer climate, just rainy. More outdoor options. Simply way too expensive.

Las Vegas - warmth and a wealth of entertainment and dining options.

San Diego - perfect weather and geography, but too damn pricey.

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?:
Money and lacking the education to get a good enough job to move out of state.

I've lived in Ohio for 25 years and have never been overly fond of it. There are some nice regions to look at, such as those in the SE, but they lack employment opportunities. Columbus is a ho-hum city with very little to do and very little work options. The state is way too cold for my tastes come winter, I never look forward to it. I despise snow and ice. The only good thing I can think of about the state of Ohio is that it is cheap to live here.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:17 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieo415 View Post
Not everybody in Ohio is in love with it, so I am starting this post for those who want to leave, or have left to tell us why.

TELL IT LIKE IT IS

1) Current or former Ohio location:Chagrin Falls, OH

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?: Hated weather (winter, can be shortchanged on Spring/Summer weateher as well, so many gray days) and decided to do what I had always wanted to do. I wanted to move to a large city that was non rustbelt and transient w/people with obviously great weather.

3) Where outside of Ohio and why: Charlotte, NC. I wanted to move to a large city that was non rustbelt and transient w/people with obviously great weather. I considered Raleigh but Charlotte seems more like a real city with a downtown. Has Pro football and close to mountains and beach.

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices: Raleigh and Hilton Head,SC

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?: nothing. Alot of our CLE friends wished they had the ability (or guts) to do the same.

It is amazing how many northeners are moving here (50,000+/yr). I just noticed that Lebron James's cook (nutritionist?) even moved here this year to start a catering and prepare home-cooked meals business

Old 11-22-2009, 03:15 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,278,924 times
I'm just shocked that it took 33 pages of posts and over a year and a half for ZnGuy to finally post on this thread. The chance to stroke your own ego and reinforce your own decision to move to Charlotte is right up your alley!

Charlotte's a utopia. Hopefully everyone in Ohio with a negative attitude moves to North Carolina. I'm sure they won't find anything to complain about down there. The weather's perfect (no hurricanes or humidity), the people are nicer (everyone down there loves seeing more Northerners move in), and the jobs are plentiful (Charlotte's unemployment rate is nowhere near the rate of any of the big cities in Ohio).

Old 11-22-2009, 09:21 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,633,893 times
Charlotte and North Carolina suck. It's funny how this guy goes out of his way to mention LeBron's cook! He is just looking for people who leave Ohio for North Carolina. HAHA wow!

North Carolina is overrated. I know it will be just like Florida in a few years.

ZNguy, your sugarcoating (thats exactly what you are doing) of North Carolina is getting old. This is the Ohio forum, not the North Carolina. Stop promoting North Carolina here, please. It has gone past the point of annoyance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio