Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 06:41 AM

28 posts, read 54,040 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My partner accepted a great job opportunity and we are moving to OKC in less than a month. While I’m excited about a move I’m really nervous about Oklahoma (tornadoes and politics) We are looking to rent for a while, probably a year or 2 and would like to find a safe neighborhood that is at least somewhat gay friendly and close to downtown. We are looking for a 2 bedroom and would like to stay in the 1200-1400 per month rage. Do most of the new condo/apartment constructions downtown have tornado shelters? What areas should we avoid? I have been looking on craigslist for rentals and see a few in Deep Deuce and Brick town but I have no idea if those areas are safe? Outside of those areas, most other rentals seem really far away from downtown. I’m a RN and will be looking for a job as soon as I get into town. Any suggestions on good hospital systems in the area
Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 09:31 AM

653 posts, read 1,787,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingtookc View Post
Hello,
My partner accepted a great job opportunity and we are moving to OKC in less than a month. While I’m excited about a move I’m really nervous about Oklahoma (tornadoes and politics) We are looking to rent for a while, probably a year or 2 and would like to find a safe neighborhood that is at least somewhat gay friendly and close to downtown. We are looking for a 2 bedroom and would like to stay in the 1200-1400 per month rage. Do most of the new condo/apartment constructions downtown have tornado shelters? What areas should we avoid? I have been looking on craigslist for rentals and see a few in Deep Deuce and Brick town but I have no idea if those areas are safe? Outside of those areas, most other rentals seem really far away from downtown. I’m a RN and will be looking for a job as soon as I get into town. Any suggestions on good hospital systems in the area
Thanks for your help!
In areas I can help: Regarding tornadoes, We unfortunately have a history of tornadoes here in central Oklahoma, that said.. there are still thousands of people who live in the OKC area that have lived here all their lives and have never been directly affected by a tornado not to mention seen one. The chances of you being directly affected by an EF2 tornado or greater (110mph+) is about 1 out of 1000. There are many apartment complexes that have safe rooms, which ones.. I'm not sure. Just enquire is all I can say on that. I will tell you this.. you would be safer getting an apartment on a lower level or ground floor as you may likely experience less damage if a tornado were to strike.

Best neighbourhoods: The Paseo comes to mind. It's around the NW 30th and Classen area on east for a couple of miles. It's a really nice area, relatively safe, lots of arts and entertainment in the area. It's progressive and gay friendly. Not too far away around Penn and NW 39th, you have what is considered the heart beat of the LGBT community. I would think there are a few apartment complexes around there that cater to the community. I'm not personally familiar with any in particular. You'll have to do your homework on that. The other places like Bricktown and Deep Deuce are other nice places you can choose from.. all places well within your price range. Areas to avoid for safety reasons.. mostly south OKC from I-40 to around SW 59th and west of I-35 to at least Meridian. Northeast OKC should be avoided too. Parts of NW OKC from say NW 10th, from Rockwell to Meridian on up to around NW 30th is also pretty dicey. Actually, your price range, you can find nice places in the Edmond area that are very safe for what you can afford and further NW around Council/Rockwell up toward the Kilpatrick Turnpike are nice as well with all the amenities you need close by. Edmond should definitely be looked into but keep in mind an overall conservative atmosphere there but I would'nt go so far to say you'll be ostracized for your lifestyle. North and west sides of Edmond are the safest. The safety factor in Deep Deuce and Bricktown is okay, but still would definitely be aware of your surroundings, especially late at night.

Politically.. It is predominately conservative but the areas I mentioned are about roughly 60/40 democrat. Overall the LGBT community have become relatively more accepted over recent years and I think you should not have any problem at all. Outside of the OKC/Norman areas, the smaller towns in rural areas.. I would suggest being a little more discrete.

Hospitals: Others I'm sure can chime in better than me on this, but the best ones around here are Baptist Hospital, Mercy and St. Anthony's. From what I'm told, RN's are in high demand here in the OKC area.

Hope this helps some. I think you'll enjoy Oklahoma City and if you can handle our hot summers, I believe you'll love it here and you'll be well accepted.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:19 PM

533 posts, read 1,711,646 times
Quote:
we are moving to OKC
Welcome.

Quote:
Do most of the new condo/apartment constructions downtown have tornado shelters?
I don't know about the new downtown complexes but I know of at least one new project in Moore that has a safe room. So it would be worth inquiring.

Quote:
What areas should we avoid?
You'd probably want to avoid the near northeast part of Oklahoma City especially along 23rd. There are a few others but none very large.

Quote:
I have been looking on craigslist for rentals and see a few in Deep Deuce and Brick town but I have no idea if those areas are safe?
These areas are pretty safe and in fairly high demand.

Quote:
Any suggestions on good hospital systems in the area
Near downtown are OU Health Sciences (several hospitals) and St. Anthony for large hospitals. There are several specialty hospitals, too.

Best wishes.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:29 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
The Paseo happens to be in the legislative district, which has Oklahoma's only openly gay legislator, State Senator Al McAffrey. He won his senate election by nearly 70%, so I'd say his district is a gay friendly neighborhood. The district also covers the Asian district and part of downtown Oklahoma City. With that famous gold dome and a large cemetery where a number of prominent citizens from Oklahoma City's past are buried, I think it's one of most interesting of the older parts.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:35 AM

Thanks you guys! all the info is really helpful. We will be in OKC Feb 1 and we are still looking for a place, and that's tough to do online. I'm sure I'll find OKC enjoyable and new experience.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:31 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,510,874 times
Welcome to the Great STATE of Oklahoma!

It will be somewhat different; y'all will do fine.

If you're hanging out in Paseo you gotta go to The Red Cup, one of my favorite coffee dives.

Blessings.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:44 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,650,795 times
Quote:
Thanks you guys! all the info is really helpful. We will be in OKC Feb 1 and we are still looking for a place, and that's tough to do online. I'm sure I'll find OKC enjoyable and new experience.
I don't know much about it, but there is an apartment tower near the gold dome called the Classen. You might want to check it out. It's not real far from downtown. The newer apartment complexes in or near Bricktown would probably be just as much or more appealing.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 12-22-2013 at 11:08 PM..

Old 12-23-2013, 06:42 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,795,109 times
The problem with the bricktown area is the rents will be higher than your budget. They act like its New York City or something. Deep Deuce I know is expensive. I don't remember exactly how much, as its been a little over a year since I moved here from the gay friendly capital, Atlanta, GA. I don't know too much about the Paseo district, but I think thats a pretty good suggestion. Also, a block or 2 south of NW Expressway has lots of duplexes/condos for rent. Quiet neighborhood, but less chance of meeting new people vs. an apartment complex.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:59 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,192,551 times
Quote:
Watch the prices. Some are severely inflated for what they offer in the vicinity and for what you get for your money. Downtown, for example, has outrageous prices without the conveniences of living in a dense environment. In other words, you will pay a lot but you won't find basic amenities within walking distance, and even there you would still need a car. If at all possible, I would strongly encourage a visit (assuming you haven't been here) before you move so you can get a better idea. I'm doing the same thing in a few months as I'm getting things in order to leave OKC, and I plan to look at neighborhoods, get an idea for the morning/evening commutes, and really envision myself living there.

I was on the apartment hunt for awhile and found it difficult to find a place. After moving, I found a lot of places in my neighborhood that weren't even advertised anywhere. I'm around the Plaza/Asian/Paseo District(s) area, and it's okay. It isn't terribly exciting, but I haven't really had any problems with crime. It's convenient to downtown, near-ish to the block where all the gay bars are (that's about the extent of the community offerings here), and relatively close to a few hospitals: St. Anthony's, OU Medical Center, Deaconess and Integris (the latter two being on the 74 and NW Expressway). Weather can be a headache for work. There was a snowstorm recently that increased my commute six-fold, and when that monster tornado hit earlier this year, a lot of rubberneckers slowed down traffic to gawk at the havoc.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:38 AM

Thanks for all the responses! I think we have decided that my partner is going down to OKC for a week to find us a place. We aren't having much luck with using craigslist or with the big well known apartment buildings like the Regency, Deep Deuce in Bricktown, or the Park Harvey. The prices seem really high and many without parking. They also seem to nickel and dime you with any added amenities. I almost wonder if we're better off renting a home out a ways, like north of NW expressway closer to lake Hefner or Edmond. I see a lot of homes for rent that look nice for $1200-1400 but we know nothing about the neighborhoods, I'm sure our doggies would be happier with a little yard too. Using Craigslist or any other internet sources, I don't see much of anything for rent in the Paseo neighborhood and using the Google street map to drive around the Paseo neighborhood, I saw a lot of homes with bars on the windows which kind of makes me nervous. I'm sure we'll find a decent place; it's just going to take us a little more time than we thought. We will most likely be in OKC for a couple of years then moving about with my partners job. I'm really excited about our move and exploring a new area of the country that I know absolutely nothing about. I've been a Chicago, Milwaukee, and Detroit urban dweller for my whole life so this is going to be a big change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City