Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 11:57 AM

374 posts, read 807,206 times

Advertisements

Southern is the predominant culture in Oklahoma. That gets thicker as you move south and east. There is little difference between Southeastern Oklahoma and rural Mississippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 12:59 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,225,046 times
We'll give you that one, both are pretty terrible and sad places overall.

Old 12-21-2013, 01:24 PM

374 posts, read 807,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
We'll give you that one, both are pretty terrible and sad places overall.
If you hate it here, why do you continue to live in a southern state? You could go north about 300 miles and find yourself a nice midwestern enclave like St Louis.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:46 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTexico76 View Post
Oklahoma is so central it can be all three.

I tend to think of Oklahomans as "southerners" in terms of speech, food, music, religion, etc. I would bet most prominent Oklahomans, like Garth Brooks or Toby Keith are seen as "southerners."

Physically, its very similar to Kansas and the Midwest with its hot summers, stormy weather, and colder winters than the southeast.

Economically, it has more in common with the west: oil and gas, ranching. The strong Native American presence and growing Mexican American presence gives Oklahoma much in common with areas to the west. However, the west (aside from Utah) tends to be less religious.
OK is pretty much Georgia in disguise! LOL!!

Old 12-21-2013, 04:24 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
It is the Southwest with Southern being confined to the eastern 1/3 of the state. Nothing Midwest about it.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:40 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,850,258 times
That sounds about right to me.

I'd say Tulsa might be more midwestern if you define midwestern as not having any particular regional identity.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:37 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,225,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
If you hate it here, why do you continue to live in a southern state? You could go north about 300 miles and find yourself a nice midwestern enclave like St Louis.
I don't live in southeastern Oklahoma and I would never live there. Poor, racist, isolated and insulated. My father used to live in in McAlester and it was pretty awful. And that's about as good as that part of the state gets.

So, there is not "here" to me at all. I don't live in the south. I live in Tulsa.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:31 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
I don't live in southeastern Oklahoma and I would never live there. Poor, racist, isolated and insulated. My father used to live in in McAlester and it was pretty awful. And that's about as good as that part of the state gets.

So, there is not "here" to me at all. I don't live in the south. I live in Tulsa.
Tulsa is not as southern compared to anything in SE Oklahoma but still feels southern to me.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:55 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
Opinions differ, but however it "feels," Oklahoma is southwestern. If small areas seem to be different, it doesn't change the designation of the whole state. I wonder why it matters?

Old 12-22-2013, 06:21 PM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Opinions differ, but however it "feels," Oklahoma is southwestern. If small areas seem to be different, it doesn't change the designation of the whole state. I wonder why it matters?
Because on the national forums TexasReb has declared that "Southwestern" is strictly Arizona and New Mexico................

So all that "southwestern" you "feel" is obviously wrong. You know, the cattle, the cowboys, the great plains, the buffalo, the history of the plains indians, the cattle ranches, the feed lots, the boulder strewn rugged Wichita mountains, the mesas of the western panhandle, the mesquite trees, and cactus of southwestern Oklahoma are all "southern". The wheat fields that blend into western Kansas and the Germans, Czechs, Mennonites who farm them and mostly came from points north as pioneers to raise it..........all "southern".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma